By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Wii U estimation(near future, instal base, short)...

Your expectations are too high, it's barely done 3m this year, yet you expect 2m across Jan - March WITHOUT mariokart.

Around the Network

For arguments sake let's say it sells 5.5 million by the end of the year (Actual number will probably be just under) I think realistically it could sell 7 million units in 2014 putting the total at 12.5 million. I suppose if everything goes off wrong the worst case scenario would be around 9.5-10 million total and if everything goes better than expected we might see a total of 14.5-15 million. Although software sells hardware and 2014 has some awesome Wii U games it's hard to convince people to buy a Wii U when for $100 more you can get a PS4.

Predictions! By the end of 2014... PS4: 15 million +, Wii U: 12 million, XOne: 9.5 million! 

drake4 said:
eyeofcore said:

As you saw latest Media Create Sales and how there is a trend of Wii U sales rising even though sadly VG Chartz still hasn't gave their rough estimation for last two weeks thus making an accurate estimation or to be more correct the expectaction for Wii U in near future when comes to total units sold. In my estimation I also try to estimate how much units will be sold when that or that game is released in that or that month also if it will have an effect in the next month...

Wii U should by now be at 5 million units and by end of the year it should breach 5.5 million mark of total units sold from its launch last year.... By end of Janurary it should reach 6 million while by end of February will breach mark of 6.75 million units. March it should achieve at least 7.25 million without any major release, in case Mario Kart 8 is released then I expect at least to reach 7.75 to 8.5 million total units ...

I expect Wii U to reach an instal base of at least 12.5 million in worst case scenario and 18 million in best case scenario by end of 2014 as more high profile software is getting released on Wii U such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros U, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors(working title), Yarn Yoshi and more  upcoming exclusives being unveiled for 2014 release....

your basing this  success because wiiu had nice holiday in japan, its still bombing badly every where else in the word, and even GC managed similar numbers in japan durung the holidays with the ps2 being out, unlike this year where the wiiu is the only nextgen console in japan. and still GC is still tracking way ahead of the wiiu and with way better thirdparty support to boot.

I am not basing Wii U's my estimation on Wii U's recent success in Japan as you premuse and probably hope so  also you are just presume/assume that Wiii U is bombing outside of Japan which is not correct and Wii U sells considerably better than GameCube in Japan as we compare the second year.

Gamecube had better 3rd party support yet it did not result in sales and Wii U sells well compared to Gamecube when we see the amount of 3rd party support that Gamecube has over Wii U. Wii U by now should have 5 million units in one year one and half months which is 1(4th of Gamecube sales and Gamecube achieved in 5-6 years in its life time 20 million units. When we look at Wii U and compare it to Gamecube, Wii U looks like an anomaly.

You have the point yet you are going too doom and gloom into consoles 1st year, look at PlayStation 3... It rose from the ashes in much harder enviroment so Wii U with its problems should easily overcome them. Once the software sales are very good for Nintendo on Wii U then Nintendo might bite the bullet again and drop price to 250$ which is a magical bundle, then you will see Wii U fly off the shelf as it did does at some retailers that did holiday price cut.

Expect that price drop next holiday...

TSNFLD said:
For arguments sake let's say it sells 5.5 million by the end of the year (Actual number will probably be just under) I think realistically it could sell 7 million units in 2014 putting the total at 12.5 million. I suppose if everything goes off wrong the worst case scenario would be around 9.5-10 million total and if everything goes better than expected we might see a total of 14.5-15 million. Although software sells hardware and 2014 has some awesome Wii U games it's hard to convince people to buy a Wii U when for $100 more you can get a PS4.

Worst case scenario is that it's down YoY, that's 8.5m or less.

chapset said:

wtf, wii U did 2.2 mill in 11months and 1 week this year but you expect it to do 1.25mill in two months next year without any major release because it got a boost during the holidays this year?

I did it.  Finally bought the Wii U.  The Best Buy deal (buy the Wii U, get a 25 gift card and Zombie U for free) finally made me get it.  Looking forward to playing 3D mario, smash, and mario kart when they release to name a few.

In the mean time, 2d mario is really fun, and planning to get wind waker hd too.

IMO, this system complements the Xbox One and/or the PS4 well.  Also, with it getting easier and easier to find it BELOW 300, I can see sales staying up a bit.  Perhaps the OP is a bit optimistic though.

Around the Network
eyeofcore said:
drake4 said:
eyeofcore said:

As you saw latest Media Create Sales and how there is a trend of Wii U sales rising even though sadly VG Chartz still hasn't gave their rough estimation for last two weeks thus making an accurate estimation or to be more correct the expectaction for Wii U in near future when comes to total units sold. In my estimation I also try to estimate how much units will be sold when that or that game is released in that or that month also if it will have an effect in the next month...

Wii U should by now be at 5 million units and by end of the year it should breach 5.5 million mark of total units sold from its launch last year.... By end of Janurary it should reach 6 million while by end of February will breach mark of 6.75 million units. March it should achieve at least 7.25 million without any major release, in case Mario Kart 8 is released then I expect at least to reach 7.75 to 8.5 million total units ...

I expect Wii U to reach an instal base of at least 12.5 million in worst case scenario and 18 million in best case scenario by end of 2014 as more high profile software is getting released on Wii U such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros U, Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Hyrule Warriors(working title), Yarn Yoshi and more  upcoming exclusives being unveiled for 2014 release....

your basing this  success because wiiu had nice holiday in japan, its still bombing badly every where else in the word, and even GC managed similar numbers in japan durung the holidays with the ps2 being out, unlike this year where the wiiu is the only nextgen console in japan. and still GC is still tracking way ahead of the wiiu and with way better thirdparty support to boot.

I am not basing Wii U's my estimation on Wii U's recent success in Japan as you premuse and probably hope so  also you are just presume/assume that Wiii U is bombing outside of Japan which is not correct and Wii U sells considerably better than GameCube in Japan as we compare the second year.

Gamecube had better 3rd party support yet it did not result in sales and Wii U sells well compared to Gamecube when we see the amount of 3rd party support that Gamecube has over Wii U. Wii U by now should have 5 million units in one year one and half months which is 1(4th of Gamecube sales and Gamecube achieved in 5-6 years in its life time 20 million units. When we look at Wii U and compare it to Gamecube, Wii U looks like an anomaly.

You have the point yet you are going too doom and gloom into consoles 1st year, look at PlayStation 3... It rose from the ashes in much harder enviroment so Wii U with its problems should easily overcome them. Once the software sales are very good for Nintendo on Wii U then Nintendo might bite the bullet again and drop price to 250$ which is a magical bundle, then you will see Wii U fly off the shelf as it did does at some retailers that did holiday price cut.

Expect that price drop next holiday...

the gamecube sold  6.68 million its first year, i don't see your point there and ps3 is like comparing apple to oranges, the ps3 is crushing the wiiu interms of monthly sales it actually had momentum, and launched in europe 5 months later,thats why its first year looks so bad, it was missing numbers from its best selling region and price was huge proplem,third party support was always excellent.

Seece said:
Your expectations are too high, it's barely done 3m this year, yet you expect 2m across Jan - March WITHOUT mariokart.

"High" would be an understatement, lol. 

I honestly would not be surprised if Wii U Jan-March sell through combined in North America (by NPD) turn out to be less than 150,000 *total*. 

Seece said:
TSNFLD said:

Worst case scenario is that it's down YoY, that's 8.5m or less.

Worst case scenario is that no Wii U's sell in 2014 ;). With Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros coming out there is no way that it will sell less than 4 million next year. 

Predictions! By the end of 2014... PS4: 15 million +, Wii U: 12 million, XOne: 9.5 million! 

I don't see it doing anymore than 12 million by the end of 2014. And that's only if Smash Bros becomes a huge system seller. The system will drop dead in January, and won't pick back up until Mario Kart 8 comes out. Luckily it's library is much better now so it shouldn't have the abysmal weekly sales that it did early 2013.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I agree on a possible 12M next year but not as a worst scenario.
And your Jan Feb predictions are out of reach. 5M by next year hopefully as you said, then 6M by end Jan so 1M in a month?!! and the month that follows holidays ? nope and also February 750k which is 180k per week, no sorry.
Nonetheless, it can pull great numbers following the release of MK8 and X later..