By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - Was it really that great of an idea to delay PS4s to 2014?

I don't think Japan will embrace the PS4. The Wii U struggled and it has that quirky factor that the Japanese go gaga over. It was best to delay rather than put precious consoles on the Japanese market and let them gather dust. I could be wrong but I think that the home console market in Japan is almost a non-factor at this point. I also think that Japan is Nintendo territory regardless of when Sony releases.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
yep 200k from nov 20th
500k in dec
200k january

thank you lol.

Actually it took nearly nine months and not just 3 months until PS3 sold one million units in Japan.

PS3 launch 11.November 2006

until Media Create week ending in 29. Juli 2007

Viktor said:
Nem said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:

You want to analyse the japanese market in a vacuum, but that is just not possible. Home conoles are worldwide products, japan is part of a whole. It does not make sense by itself.

In your vacuum, of course releasing you console in time for the holidays is very important. But, this vacuum scenario is completely irrelevent.

me: What affect will the 2014 release have on the Japanese console market?
you: Japan doesn´t matter anymore.

There is no derailing, your thread is in itself a setup meant to get the answer you want by shutting off the rest of the world.

I answered your question, but you are ignoring it. In a vacuum, like you wish to view it, this affects the japanese market and reduced the overall year hardware sales. On the other hand, the market is still fully supporting the PS3, so the delay does not negatively impact the developers and publishers.

That is the scenario you want to see painted is it not? At the end of the day, it doesnt matter though, as this delay did not have a negative impact if you look at it from a worldwide perspective. If you look at it from a Japanese only market in the world perspective, it was bad.

Its still an irrelevant debate though.

This thread is specifically about Japan. It´s not my problem that you and some other users aren´t able to understand and accept what the thread is about.

lol, we should stop feeding the troll.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:

You want to analyse the japanese market in a vacuum, but that is just not possible. Home conoles are worldwide products, japan is part of a whole. It does not make sense by itself.

In your vacuum, of course releasing you console in time for the holidays is very important. But, this vacuum scenario is completely irrelevent.

There is no derailing, your thread is in itself a setup meant to get the answer you want by shutting off the rest of the world.

I answered your question, but you are ignoring it. In a vacuum, like you wish to view it, this affects the japanese market and reduced the overall year hardware sales. On the other hand, the market is still fully supporting the PS3, so the delay does not negatively impact the developers and publishers.

That is the scenario you want to see painted is it not? At the end of the day, it doesnt matter though, as this delay did not have a negative impact if you look at it from a worldwide perspective. If you look at it from a Japanese only market in the world perspective, it was bad.

This thread is specifically about Japan. It´s not my problem that you and some other users aren´t able to understand and accept what the thread is about.

Says the one trying his hardest to derail this thread. Funny how you had no problem with the obviously wrong "numbers" from theprof00, to be honest this was no surpise to me since all you did in this thread was making excuses for Sonys decisions regardless of the topic at hand beeing specifically the Japanese market. If you aren´t interested to be on topic you are free to go. You won´t be missed.

Viktor said:
ICStats said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:

Says the one trying his hardest to derail this thread. Funny how you had no problem with the obviously wrong "numbers" from theprof00, no surpise since all you did was making excuses for Sonys decisions. If you aren´t interested to be on topic you are free to go. You won´t be missed.

Oh yeah sorry dude.

Everyone listen, This thread is about JAPAN, you know the Japan on planet Mars where no other countries exist and Sony has prepared an awesome software lineup for the Japan market, but they have decided not to ship it because they want to resuscitate the Vita.  Good or bad idea?  Say it's bad or else.  Don't you bring up any Earthly logic or you will be OFF TOPIC.  /thread

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Viktor said:
theprof00 said:
yep 200k from nov 20th
500k in dec
200k january

thank you lol.

Actually it took nearly nine months and not just 3 months until PS3 sold one million units in Japan.

PS3 launch 11.November 2006

until Media Create week ending in 29. Juli 2007

Oops I read 300k as 500k.
 But also ps4 has already sold more in less than 2 months than ps3 did in less than 5 months. Japan will have a much much better turnout that ps3 launch did. I'll say at least a mil within 3 months.

I think so, Vita is getting heat in Japan, with the PS4's release, it will just get better imo, an early release would just disappoint the Japanese market. lack of games for a certain period is dangerous to the consoles' sales

Viktor said:

Was it really that great of an idea to give WiiU all this freedom this year in Japan?

Had Sony not focused on USA & Europe, XBO might have sold better in USA. USA is twice the size of Japan, and a much more competetive market, I think it's a priority for Sony to top MS in Microsoft's main territories. Since PS4 is selling better then XBO in USA/UK/Europe, I think Sony made the right move.

If Sony released the PS4 in Japan this fall, it could have done more harm then help. Without any major Japanese oriented exclusives, the PS4 would come out with a bad image.

Plus, no matter how well WiiU does, PS4 has a different audience in Japan, and this is deomonstrated by strong PS3 sales (which aren't much lower then Wii's).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Viktor said:
Fusioncode said:
Viktor said:
Fusioncode said:
Viktor said:
Fusioncode said:
Viktor said:

Please, read the opening post. I´m not interested in excuses for the delay. Instead I´m asking for what affect the delay will have to the Japanese market. Because obviously the lack of competition this holiday season benefitted WiiU quite a lot and to a margin that even the more optimistic users didn´t expect. While PS4 missed the holiday season in Japan.

You asked if it was a great idea to launch the PS4 next year. We answered why it was. 

I was quite clear in my op that the question is about the Japanese console market in particular, since it´s the Japanese launch that was delayed and it´s in Japan where Sony systems are performing really bad this holiday season. In fact the holiday season surely was a big factor that helped in generating hype and sales and in regards to Japan would have helped PS4s launch-hype. Instead their decision actually helped their strongest competitor over there.

The WiiU was selling 3k per week when Sony made the decision to delay the PS4 launch in Japan. They didn't expect a big holiday boost for the WiiU in Japan. We still don't know how much WiiU will sell once the holidays are over. We also don't know how hyped Japan is for the PS4. If it's anything like Europe or NA, then they shouldn't have a problem. It doesn't matter anyways because the WiiU is going to miss out on a lot of massive Japanese games like FFXV, Kingdom Heart 3, Yakuza, MGSV, and so on. 

Ignoring WiiU. It still is a stupid idea to miss the holiday season in Japan just to push PSV with PSTV (another big mistake similar to PSPgo) and to cash-in on Gran Torismo 6 and PS3 and missing out the holiday season (PS4). Now we have the data and know that it didn´t work out, especially Gran Tourismo 6 is a big disappointment beeing easily outsold by 3D World.

These are basically the reasons for the delay, because let´s be honest for a second, they could have as easily favoured Japan instead of East-Asia, Brazil and even Saudi-Arabia. They simply were to shortsighted if they really planned this according to post WiiU bundle announcement sales, when its sales had a noticeable decline due to this very announcement.

They simply believed that Gran Tourismo 6 would have been enough to have a decent holiday season in Japan.

Shortsighted? It would have been shortsighted of them to launch in Japan this year and not think about the rest of the world. They were thinking about longterm gain with the delay and I think they made the right call. They can win Japan, easily. And they will, just wait til February and you'll see. They'll have a launch of at least 500k units, followed by weeks of sellouts. Once the console stabilizes it will be outselling the WiiU 2:1 every week barring a major release. 

I doubt that. PS4 will have a great launch but the numbers you are pulling aren´t realistic in my opinion. Some seem really to get carried away when it comes to Playstation. It wasn´t a long time ago that PSV TV was seen as a great idea, but in fact it is the next PSPgo in Japan.

You took the words right out of my mouth :D.

Michael-5 said:
Viktor said:

Was it really that great of an idea to give WiiU all this freedom this year in Japan?

Had Sony not focused on USA & Europe, XBO might have sold better in USA. USA is twice the size of Japan, and a much more competetive market, I think it's a priority for Sony to top MS in Microsoft's main territories. Since PS4 is selling better then XBO in USA/UK/Europe, I think Sony made the right move.

If Sony released the PS4 in Japan this fall, it could have done more harm then help. Without any major Japanese oriented exclusives, the PS4 would come out with a bad image.

Plus, no matter how well WiiU does, PS4 has a different audience in Japan, and this is deomonstrated by strong PS3 sales (which aren't much lower then Wii's).

First of-all how does this help building a PS4 userbase in Japan in a significant manner (the question in the opening post)? While some publishers actually try to differentiate the demopgraphics, it´s quite obvious why Sony went from a userbase of 22m PS2 to 9-10m with PS3. Of course some are in denial and love to ignore the competition. But looking at the availbale data we get a less subjective picture of what actually happened.

PS2 22m + GC 4.5m ->26.5m

PS3 9.5m + Wii 12.5m -> 22m

Sony down 12m while Nintendo UP 8m

The difference of 4m between the two compared generations can be attributed to the rising popularity of handhelds last gen. Seeing this data it´s quite obvious that Sony actually lost mind and marketshare to Nintendo last generation.

It also seems you really haven´t kept up with the thread. If you didn´t know, PS4 launched not only in Europe and US this year but also in far less important markets than Japan. Instead of releasing the PS4 in the already mentioned (read opening post) less important markets. They could have simply shipped those units to Japan instead if they hadn´t had other plans in Japan (PSV2000+PSTV). US and Europe wouldn´t have been affected this way.