By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - Was it really that great of an idea to delay PS4s to 2014?

I've talked to several people from Japan in my Twitter* feed and they are mostly annoyed and insulted at this point. The recent "Japanese" PS4 commercial certainly did not help ease this. If anything, I think it enraged them even more. *former and current NeoGAF members

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network
Viktor said:
Michael-5 said:

So what about Sony loosing console marketshare with the PS3 in Japan? Sony lost marketshare in all regions, they had a terrible console (initially), and Nintendo made a really really good one.

What does this have to do with PS4 releasing a few months late? It's not like PS3 sold less then Wii because of when it released. Sure Wii hurt PS3 sales, but it had nothing to do with when PS3 released.

PS4 releasing late won't hurt sales, especially since there would be no Japanese priented games at launch. It could hurt the image if anything, make it appear to be a more Western oriented console in Japan. I think because of Super Mario 3D World, if PS4 released in Japan now, it would look like crap in comparision.

Like I already said I was just responding to a user that said PS4 and WiiU won´t affect each other, the same thing was said about Wii and its competitors, looking at the available Japanese data it obviously was. In the last posts you have also been one of those who were trying to deny the obvious, that last gen Sony lost a good part of the market share to Nintendo, for whatever reason you didn´t want to acknowledge this and instead you tried to excuse PS3s performence in Japan solely on the general popularity of handhelds.

I think the surge of handheld gaming was a big reason why PS3 didn't sell well in Japan. Instead of buying PS3 consoles, I feel a lot of PS2 owners got a PSP instead. Wii likely did hurt sales, but my original comment was that releasing the PS4 now, without games, would hurt the system as much as it would help. So talking about Wii has nothing to do with my comment.

It doesn't matter when Sony releases the PS4, Super Mario 3D Worlds is out in Japan, there is nothing Sony could do to prevent people from buying a WiiU over a PS4 because of thise game. Releasing PS4 now without games, vs. releasing PS4 in February with a good lineup will likely "save" the same number of potential buyers.

All Sony can really do is publish as many exclusive PS4 games as they can, and do their best to make the best system possible in Japan.

----

On a side note, it is interesting to see sony fall apart so much in Japan lately. Vita is dead compared to 3DS, and I don't think PS4 will do that well, even if WiiU flops.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Viktor said:

First of all I´m talking just about the Japanese market and how it will directly affect the Japanese console market, so anything regarding PS4 shipments in other regions this year in Saudi-Arabia, East-Asia, Brazil etc. is off-topic.

Looking at this and last weeks hardware sales in Japan this holiday season is completely dominated by two systems, namely 3DS and WiiU. PS3 basically was bascally a non-factor this past two weeks selling roghly 25k units. While WiiU sold 75k units last week and over 115k this week units according to Famitsu.

Was it really that great of an idea to give WiiU all this freedom this year in Japan? Because it seems quite obvious to me that Sony tried this year to give the PSV more time in the spotlight (PSV and the new launched PSTV) and expected a far better performance of Gran Tourismo 6 which by is Sonys biggest franchise in Japan and PS3. A strategy that backfired on both fronts so far.

First things first, "anything regarding PS4 shipments in other regions this year in Saudi-Arabia, East-Asia, Brazil etc. is off-topic". No, it's really not. Japan does not exist in a vacuum and Sony is an international company that needs to consider what it prioritises. You cannot expect to discuss sales in any region if some of the factors concerning the sales in that region are because of other regional concerns.

Viktor said:

I was quite clear in my opening post that the question is about the Japanese console market in particular, since it's the Japanese launch that was delayed and it's in Japan where Sony systems are performing really bad this holiday season. In fact the holiday season surely was a big factor that helped in generating hype and sales and in regards to Japan would have helped PS4s launch-hype. Instead their decision actually helped their strongest competitor over there.

Yes, you where very clear... and no-one is listening because insisting that we all look at Japan as though it's in a bubble is just plain stupid. Japan is not seperate from the rest of the world and it's also not the only concern for the company in question. What you're asking for doesn't make sense because you're asking us to treat the Japanese games market as a closed system when it most definitely isn't.

Here's the real answer though. Yes, Sony did the right thing. With Sony currently in financial stress they need to prioritise. Japan is basically a sure thing for Sony because, while the Wii U is a genuine competitor for market share, the games offered are actually different. You can't get a Japanese person to buy a Microsoft console without first threatening the safety of their family. Japan doesn't care about Xbox One. Because of this Sony new their ACTUAL competitor would be largely ignoring Japan too. The smaller growing markets, and the major markets of North America and Europe, these where battlegrounds. Remember as well that Sony has limited cash and production capabilities, it can only make so many consoles and ship to a select number of countries simultaneously. Organising a Japanese release would have been expensive and would have diverted resources.

At present Sony have set themselves up with market dominance in Europe, a leading market share in North America and a recognisable presence in outlaying regions such as Saudi Arabia, Brazil, South Africa, and the "Asia Pacific" regions (Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, Malasia, Taiwan, Australia, and New Zealand). This means they're a global threat to Microsoft now as all those regions are contested. The regions where Microsoft does poorly in however (or simply has no official presence), namely Japan, Thailand, Philippines, and Indonesia have been left till early 2014 because they're less important for market dominance. It's also why India, a previously unconsidered market is being tackled before these three because it's a huge undertaking that requires Sony to focus it's resources.

Now, one thing that is true, is unlike most "Asia Pacific" regions, Japan has a long history with video games, a massive market potensial, a strong ecconomy, and a notable cultural bias. Releasing a PS4 in say Singapore or Taiwan with only 13 launch game at retail works, (remember, PSN changes by region and cannot be relied upon outside of USA, Canada, Japan and UK); there's little competition as support in these regions is spotty and only a recent thing (much like how Europe was back in the late 80's). Releasing in Japan with this line-up though would be suicide. There are no strong narative games, no real platformers, no RPGs, nothing that Japan in general wants. Remember, Japan doesn't give a scuttering fuck about first person shooters, which means 3 of those 13 are worthless over there. Waiting for Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends, Drive Club, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Doki Doki Universe, Yakuza Ishin and the Final Fantasy 14 beta will give it a strong enough line up that people will actually care. Having a strong launch matters greatly in Japan, if you present yourself as a "western console" which is how PS4 looks at the moment, with endless FPS and American sports games, you lose your target audience.

Now, had this move meant that the Wii U has had an uncontested holiday period. Yes, but it's already been out for a while so I doubt it's a big issue. If anything I believe the Wii U sold well in Japan largely because of Super Mario 3D World and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and that was going to happen regardless of what Sony did. It is true that Sony have likely sacrificed market dominance in Japan now, but losing Japan in order to gain market supremecy in both Europe and 10 currently under-developed markets; yes it was a good move for Sony. I'd also like to claim it was a good move for gaming. By allowing Nintendo to take Japan, they've ensured that the Wii U is revitalised, which means that we've still got a strong three-way competition going. If Sony had market dominance in Japan, they would become an unofficial monopoly and that would be bad for the industry as a whole. While I like Sony and the Playstation brand, I most definately want to see both Nintendo and Microsoft doing well as more competition bolsters the industry.

That's my take on this anyway, by all means, everyone is free to disagree and I'd welcome new ideas.

Yes. Because now Sony is dominating in Xbox One's homeland when everyone knows that Xbox One has no chance in Japan.

Dv8thwonder said:
I've talked to several people from Japan in my Twitter* feed and they are mostly annoyed and insulted at this point. The recent "Japanese" PS4 commercial certainly did not help ease this. If anything, I think it enraged them even more. *former and current NeoGAF members

Sounds pretty great for Sony. Anger and disappointment shows high demand.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:

Well that settles it, PS4 super doomed in Japan.

Rafux said:
Dv8thwonder said:

Well that settles it, PS4 super doomed in Japan.

LOL @ super doomed. This should be a thing^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.