By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - Was it really that great of an idea to delay PS4s to 2014?

Viktor said:
Nem said:

You want to analyse the japanese market in a vacuum, but that is just not possible. Home conoles are worldwide products, japan is part of a whole. It does not make sense by itself.

In your vacuum, of course releasing you console in time for the holidays is very important. But, this vacuum scenario is completely irrelevent.

me: What affect will the 2014 release have on the Japanese console market?
you: Japan doesn´t matter anymore.

There is no derailing, your thread is in itself a setup meant to get the answer you want by shutting off the rest of the world.

I answered your question, but you are ignoring it. In a vacuum, like you wish to view it, this affects the japanese market and reduced the overall year hardware sales. On the other hand, the market is still fully supporting the PS3, so the delay does not negatively impact the developers and publishers.

That is the scenario you want to see painted is it not? At the end of the day, it doesnt matter though, as this delay did not have a negative impact if you look at it from a worldwide perspective. If you look at it from a Japanese only market in the world perspective, it was bad.

Its still an irrelevant debate though.

Around the Network
Viktor said:

Didn´t know Saudi Arabia and some Asian countries are considered "the west" and that Brazil is an important console market with a high priority nowadays.

You should really read prior posts. These units could have as easily been shipped to Japan instead if they wanted, which means even with the same amount of produced consoles, but they had simply other plans (PSV2000+PSVTV in Japan).

But it´s obvious why this simple and realistic scenario gets ignored. Because until now there was the always easy excuse of more important markets and this simply doesn´t fit in the script does it?

Also the delay didn´t exactly change the software situation all that much to warrant missing the holidays did it? Because in my book the PS3 port of Yakuza would have still been in the PS4 launch-window and since TGS there haven´t been many new announcements anyway, besides other late PS3 ports from the Musou franchise.

Oh my god, do you really not grasp this situation? What in your opinion is better?

Releasing your console in several smaller markets where your biggest competitor still has a chance to make an impact, which means releasing there early can give you a big advantage and where you can make smaller shipments which are guaranteed to sell out since people are not only hyped for the system, but also care for its launch games?

or

Releasing in one country where your biggest competitor is not going to make a difference anyway, where you'd need way bigger shipments and would quite possibly not sell out since nobody in that country gives a rats ass about your launch software?

If the february lineup is great for japan is a matter of opinion, but Yakuza, Dynasty Warriors and the FFXIV beta are definitely better than nothing.

Also the Wii U and the PS4 aren't even competing for the same audience, the games releasing on those system are very different from each other, so if the Wii U were to take sales from the PS4 then that'd be because of a shift in gaming taste in japan and not because the PS4 is missing this holiday.

sony is delaying japan simply for.two reasons.
1. they wil not have enough supply for day 1 japan. japan bought nearly a million ps3s very early on...iirc within a month. sony ddoesnt have that kind of stock, but in march they will.
2. the most important contested areas right now are usa and europe.specifically uk.

not to mention that the currency difference nets them a few hundred extra for each ps4 they sell in europe.compared to japan. ie, they make more money initialy shipping to eu.

on top of that it will look very good for them when ww shipments show that x1 and ps4 are close and they they add a million in a slow month...on top of new games coming out. japan is the nail in the coffin for this first major battle.

Nem said:
Viktor said:
Nem said:

You want to analyse the japanese market in a vacuum, but that is just not possible. Home conoles are worldwide products, japan is part of a whole. It does not make sense by itself.

In your vacuum, of course releasing you console in time for the holidays is very important. But, this vacuum scenario is completely irrelevent.

me: What affect will the 2014 release have on the Japanese console market?
you: Japan doesn´t matter anymore.

There is no derailing, your thread is in itself a setup meant to get the answer you want by shutting off the rest of the world.

I answered your question, but you are ignoring it. In a vacuum, like you wish to view it, this affects the japanese market and reduced the overall year hardware sales. On the other hand, the market is still fully supporting the PS3, so the delay does not negatively impact the developers and publishers.

That is the scenario you want to see painted is it not? At the end of the day, it doesnt matter though, as this delay did not have a negative impact if you look at it from a worldwide perspective. If you look at it from a Japanese only market in the world perspective, it was bad.

Its still an irrelevant debate though.

This thread is specifically about Japan. It´s not my problem that you and some other users aren´t able to understand and accept what the thread is about.

theprof00 said:
sony is delaying japan simply for.two reasons.
1. they wil not have enough supply for day 1 japan. japan bought nearly a million ps3s very early on...iirc within a month. sony ddoesnt have that kind of stock, but in march they will.
2. the most important contested areas right now are usa and europe.specifically uk.

not to mention that the currency difference nets them a few hundred extra for each ps4 they sell in europe.compared to japan. ie, they make more money initialy shipping to eu.

on top of that it will look very good for them when ww shipments show that x1 and ps4 are close and they they add a million in a slow month...on top of new games coming out. japan is the nail in the coffin for this first major battle.

You mean PS2 don´t you?

Around the Network

youre right ps2 was one month ps3 took 3 months, alyhough the same similar trend is happening this launch. ps4 will sell way more than ps3 given that both it and ps2 are releasing at the same price. and america and eu sold more than last gen too.

theprof00 said:
youre right ps2 was one month ps3 took 3 months, alyhough the same similar trend is happening this launch. ps4 will sell way more than ps3 given that both it and ps2 are releasing at the same price. and america and eu sold more than last gen too.

Are you sure about PS3?

yep 200k from nov 20th
500k in dec
200k january

theprof00 said:
yep 200k from nov 20th
500k in dec
200k january

thank you lol.

Actually it took nearly nine months until PS3 sold one million units in Japan.

PS3 launch 11.November 2006

until Media Create week ending in 29. Juli 2007

I have a WiiU and PS4. I am very happy WiiU seems to be catching on because I love Nintendo games

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut