By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Pirate copy PC games or buy from Steam?

ishiki said:
Slimebeast said:

Do as much off-topic as you want. The risk of being caught, I think that's interesting too.

I always wondered, do gamers in the USA feel the risk of being caught for piracy is a real risk? And a risk that would have concerete and palpable consequences? As in, does it make them think twice if to pirate or not?

The answer is still no, my brother pirates all the time and probably has like 2 warnings.

Also, if you're scared you can get a proxy-server for like 5 USD a month (you can get free ones but those are shady), so even if you get warnings they don't have your identity w/o warrant.

There's still very little risk in the USA. I doubt it has much of an influence.

That's very interesting. I always thought piracy was small in the US because of the strong arm of the law.

Anyone disagree with ishiki?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
In Sweden we have a very weak arm of law. You can torrent as much as you like (on paper there is a law that protects digital rights and IP ownership, but people don't care because the risk is minimal and the fines are small).

My only obstacle is the moral obligation to support the developer. I feel like a thief and I feel a lil bad for the developers, but since I'm a bad person who wants a lot of stuff for free I usually still decide to steal if it doesn't cost to me a punishment.

Do what I do...buy games that you honestly think the publisher deserves it. I bought Bioshock because those guys truly did an amazing job and they deserve the money...didn't had that thought with lets say...Sim City.

Nintendo and PC gamer

If you pirate old games that aren't going to effect the flow of new games, I really couldn't care less, but I'm against people pirating new games since they then effect the quality and the consoles, or lack there of, which the game will release to later.

I don't think pirated games will allow you to play online like in the past unless it's P2P. Online games now either require an authentication code or Steam. The developer will lock out authentication codes to play online if they're known to be used with pirated copies. Say thousands of people use the same code for example.

ishiki said:

You don't actually own the physical copies either, it's just a license. However, revoking your license for a physical copy is much more difficult and never going to happen, whereas banning your steam account is possible.

Correct, but for all intents and purposes, unless a physical copy has DRM besides disc-check, you own it.

ishiki said:

If you stole a physical copy of a game you're probably stealing 1 dollars in paper. If you "pirate" you're not stealing that 1 dollar in paper. 

If you think about it... it's probably better for the game company if you steal the physical copy, as opposed to pirating a digital copy. Because they'll still get paid shipped to retail.

Either way, software piracy is not the same thing as stealing. As for stealing, maybe theft isn't as bad for the publisher but it certainly is for the retailer. Someone ends up losing. And as for piracy, there's studies that show the effect piracy has on sales isn't as big as you'd think - and for things like music, piracy can actually benefit the publisher. I believe the existence of the study that showed that music pirates spend more money on music is common knowledge. My point is that there's very few signs that piracy is as serious a problem as publishers say it is, and there's even signs that it could beneficial (brand awareness, for sure, and positive impressions certainly can push people to buy what they pirate).

ishiki said:

You won't get caught for every game, my brother got caught for Arkham Origins. I got caught back in the day for GTA3. Nothing happened ofcourse as a result, and even if you get the 6 strikes it probably wouldn't hold up in court. 

http://gawker.com/5986813/welcome-to-the-us-copyright-alert-system-where-companies-can-slow-your-internet-if-you-download-illegally

Yeah, not a very real threat then. I'd still like to heard some more about the frequency of getting caught by this as I've never heard about this in the US before. I know there was (is?) a somewhat-similar system in France and maybe somewhere else but that's it. As far as I know, the system wasn't very successful in France, and the system there was way stricter than the one in the US. It was basically three strikes and it's over for your internet, I believe.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I don't think Steam has any effect on pirated games. I'm pretty sure it used to but cracks have gotten smarter and last time I pirated a Steam game, I had absolutely no trouble with it. As for the benefits of Steam, you'll get multiplayer and Steam achievements, as well as Steam cloud, and that's probably it. There's some more too but that should be the biggest benefits. I'm ignoring the fact that you can, at least in some cases, play multiplayer even with pirated copies, but it's not at all convenient and cheaters are probably a problem.

Slimebeast said:
ishiki said:
Slimebeast said:

Do as much off-topic as you want. The risk of being caught, I think that's interesting too.

I always wondered, do gamers in the USA feel the risk of being caught for piracy is a real risk? And a risk that would have concerete and palpable consequences? As in, does it make them think twice if to pirate or not?

The answer is still no, my brother pirates all the time and probably has like 2 warnings.

Also, if you're scared you can get a proxy-server for like 5 USD a month (you can get free ones but those are shady), so even if you get warnings they don't have your identity w/o warrant.

There's still very little risk in the USA. I doubt it has much of an influence.

That's very interesting. I always thought piracy was small in the US because of the strong arm of the law.

Anyone disagree with ishiki?

Yeah, I'm interested too.

I don't pirate much, because I feel bad for the devs. Not because I'm afraid of getting caught and the consequences. It would be interesting to see if anyone here is was actually driven away from piracy because of the law, and not some moral dilemma. 

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
ishiki said:

You don't actually own the physical copies either, it's just a license. However, revoking your license for a physical copy is much more difficult and never going to happen, whereas banning your steam account is possible.

Correct, but for all intents and purposes, unless a physical copy has DRM besides disc-check, you own it.

ishiki said:

If you stole a physical copy of a game you're probably stealing 1 dollars in paper. If you "pirate" you're not stealing that 1 dollar in paper. 

If you think about it... it's probably better for the game company if you steal the physical copy, as opposed to pirating a digital copy. Because they'll still get paid shipped to retail.

Either way, software piracy is not the same thing as stealing. As for stealing, maybe theft isn't as bad for the publisher but it certainly is for the retailer. Someone ends up losing. And as for piracy, there's studies that show the effect piracy has on sales isn't as big as you'd think - and for things like music, piracy can actually benefit the publisher. I believe the existence of the study that showed that music pirates spend more money on music is common knowledge. My point is that there's very few signs that piracy is as serious a problem as publishers say it is, and there's even signs that it could beneficial (brand awareness, for sure, and positive impressions certainly can push people to buy what they pirate).

ishiki said:

You won't get caught for every game, my brother got caught for Arkham Origins. I got caught back in the day for GTA3. Nothing happened ofcourse as a result, and even if you get the 6 strikes it probably wouldn't hold up in court. 

http://gawker.com/5986813/welcome-to-the-us-copyright-alert-system-where-companies-can-slow-your-internet-if-you-download-illegally

Yeah, not a very real threat then. I'd still like to heard some more about the frequency of getting caught by this as I've never heard about this in the US before. I know there was (is?) a somewhat-similar system in France and maybe somewhere else but that's it. As far as I know, the system wasn't very successful in France, and the system there was way stricter than the one in the US. It was basically three strikes and it's over for your internet, I believe.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I don't think Steam has any effect on pirated games. I'm pretty sure it used to but cracks have gotten smarter and last time I pirated a Steam game, I had absolutely no trouble with it. As for the benefits of Steam, you'll get multiplayer and Steam achievements, as well as Steam cloud, and that's probably it. There's some more too but that should be the biggest benefits. I'm ignoring the fact that you can, at least in some cases, play multiplayer even with pirated copies, but it's not at all convenient and cheaters are probably a problem.

What about the friends lists? Can your friends see that you own pirated copies? Back in 2010 it seemed like my pirated copies didn't get recognized by Steam and thus didn't show up on my list of owned games, so my friends though I only played Mount & Blade Warband and Bad Company 2 while in reality I had dozens of pirated games installed on my PC. (this is maybe a minor issue, but still)

kupomogli said:
If you pirate old games that aren't going to effect the flow of new games, I really couldn't care less, but I'm against people pirating new games since they then effect the quality and the consoles, or lack there of, which the game will release to later.

I don't think pirated games will allow you to play online like in the past unless it's P2P. Online games now either require an authentication code or Steam. The developer will lock out authentication codes to play online if they're known to be used with pirated copies. Say thousands of people use the same code for example.

There are various ways around this...you just need a big fanbase to make it worth the trouble, like Call of Duty for example. 

I wouldn't be surprise if you could play CoD Ghost multiplayer illegally by now. 

Edit: sure enough...with a quick google search you can already play CoD Ghost online for free haha

Nintendo and PC gamer

Slimebeast said:

What about the friends lists? Can your friends see that you own pirated copies? Back in 2010 it seemed like my pirated copies didn't get recognized by Steam and thus didn't show up on my list of owned games, so my friends though I only played Mount & Blade Warband and Bad Company 2 while in reality I had dozens of pirated games installed on my PC. (this is maybe a minor issue, but still)

To avoid trouble you should never connect Steam to an illegal game. I honestly don't know if its possible, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Sharing save files is as far as you should go.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I haven't pirated a game for a long time and the reason for this is simply Steam is usually more convenient now and so cheap that it just doesn't matter any more. The days of the pirate copy being superior to the legit copy due to restrictive DRM seem quite far away now.

My last memories of pirating games were the hassle of trying to get the game to work with a decent crack or having to put up with bugs until a crack for the patched version came out. Sometimes it worked, other times it was stressful trying to get it to work.

With Steam at least you don't have that hassle and it auto-patches/installs. Even mods are easier to install thanks to Steam workshop (at least for some games like Skyrim).

So basically, imo, its easier and more convenient to buy legit copies with services like Steam (gog.com is pretty good too) than pirate now.

Slimebeast said:

I rarely pirate games anymore so I'm not sure, but I think your friends list will only show that you're playing a non-Steam game and that's all. Like I said, though, I don't know about that, and another reason for that is that I don't use the non-Steam game feature on Steam.