By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - A PS4 equivalent rig for $500.00?

Pemalite said:
torok said:

You are not understading the problems with GPU intensive processing and the problem in the bottleneck. Currently the single massive bottleneck is on passing data from CPU to GPU and all currently uses of GPU calculations are the ones that aren't affected by this problem. As you said "Some datasets aren't terribly bandwidth or latency sensitive, some are". Thats sums up all the point of discussion.

You're missing the point completely. There is no "Bottleneck" it's a falacy dreamed up by console gamers who believe in the advertising and hype by their respective companies.
There is a reason why PC's use DDR3 Ram as system Ram and GPU's have GDDR5 Ram.

System Ram is typically 20% give or take lower latency (In overall clock cycles) than GDDR5 memory, this helps massively when there is a stall on the CPU.
GPU's however want bandwidth above all else, latency be damned, GDDR5 is perfect for this.

Grab some DDR3 1600mhz memory, that's 800mhz IO, which has a typical CAS latency of 8, that means it has a latency of 10ns.
Grab some DDR2 800mhz memory, that's 400mhz IO, which has a typical CAS latency of 4, this is also 10ns.

Now with GDDR5 the data rates are 4x faster than the IO clock instead of 2x, I.E. 5ghz GDDR5 is 1.25ghz x4 and would have a CAS Latency of 15.
15/(1.25 GHz) = 12 ns

So the latency of GDDR5 is 20% higher than DDR3, that's a big difference when the CPU doesn't have the data it requires in it's caches and the predicters weren't able to predict the data required for processing ahead of time, we are talking millions/billions of compute cycles here essentially going to waste.

torok said:

Don't assume to that all massive parallel operations are easy to run on a GPU. Conditional statements or recursive algorithm destroy GPU calculation performance and it's not easy to remove this problems. So we usually deal with more complex algorithms on GPU and still having to worry about distributing your data set is far from a nice experience. That even account for physics, SPH being a good example of problems with CPU-GPU data transfer (http://chihara.naist.jp/people/2003/takasi-a/research/short_paper.pdf, but newer resultas from NVidia are actually looking good now). 

That was done on a Geforce FX.
For one, those cards weren't PCI-E to begin with (There is a big difference between those interconnects and not just in relation to the total GB/s either!).
Secondly... They only used a single core processor and a crap one at that.
Even the Geforce 6800 and 7900 used a PCI-E to AGP bridge chip to enable PCI-E compatibility, with the downside of only maxing out at AGP 8x speeds. - Which is orders of magnitude slower than what we have today.
GPU's are also far more flexible today, The Geforce FX, 6 and 7 series weren't even designed for dedicated compute tasks in mind, I should know I helped write some shaders for Oblivion and Fallout in order to achieve better performance on the FX, Geforce 3 and 4 cards.

torok said:

Don't believe in the memory wall problem if you prefer, even if it is basically accepted as a fact in all the parallel/masivelly parallel computing community. And that's what we have with 8 or 16 cores. These link: http://storagemojo.com/2008/12/08/many-cores-hit-the-memory-wall/ is pretty great and shows some nice points, even with cases of 16 core processors losing to 8 core ones in operations. There is a paper from John Von Neumann there pointing the problem, and that was in 1945. Is Von Neumann is wrong about it? Not much likely. You point for the use on traditional desktops, where normally the CPU isn't being heavily taxed. And when it is normally the answer is Turbo Boost and that disable cores to rise the clock of others, wich avoids the memory wall problem. I'm talking here about games using all of the cores to do intensive operations and that will hit the bottleneck faster than anything. 

You keep parroting that, but that's not what I am seeing on my end on a consumer processor. (And I reiterate, it's essentially the fastest consumer-grade CPU money can buy.)
I can tax all my cores for something like Folding@Home or Bitcoin mining or Seti, I see significant gains when enabling more cores, there is no wall.
I also don't have turbo enabled, all 6 cores and 12 threads run at 4.8ghz as the nominal clock, with allowances for lower when not being utilised to conserve on power.

torok said:

And of course a PS4 can't do "Battlefield 4 in Eyefinity at 7680x1440 with everything on Ultra and achieve 60fps" since it doesn't have the required raw power to rasterize all that pixels. More GPUs? Good luck splitting work between them without passing data. But PS4 will far exceed in physics calculation using both GPU and CPU to workload the task. And even in 1080p, it will look way better. And forgot BF4 now, since it's a unoptimized launch game and probably just a por of the PC version to grab money from people.

Confirmed: PS4 is inferior to my PC.
One of my GPU's in my PC is faster than Two PS4 GPU's and a single 8-core Jaguar CPU and I have three of those GPU's.
I could dedicate two of those GPU's to Physics if a developer allowed me to do so, that's almost 9 Teraflops right there, the PS4 would literally scream "I'm a teapot!" in an attempt to process that much data.
And next month my rebuild will be done and I will have four Radeon R9 290X's under water, which would put me at about 12x the power of a PS4 with just my GPU's alone and twice the amount of GDDR5 (Which will also be faster) memory and 8x the system memory.

I also don't have to split work up.
AMD'sdrivers are actually incredibly good at handling that task all by itself even when I give it a generic compute job.

torok said:

No, there isn't any good and real alternative to CUDA. Even CUDA currently sucks. We don't need more alternatives, we need a unified one that runs well on all GPUs and has good developer tools. All the decent ones are NVidia only. AMD needs to up their game here. About Mantle, it's largely PR talk. Coming from AMD that has a terrible background in software tools it is even worse. All GPUs around here are totally different beasts, it's not easy to optimize code for them. Of course it will bring some improvement, but will be far from a game changer. If it was that easy, NVidia would already have it. In the research world, AMD basically never, I mean never, brings nothing new to the table. NVidia brought a lot of massive techs over the years, CUDA is currently the king in GPU computing and Optics is almost bringing real-time raytracing for us. That last one, is THE game changer for the next decade of graphics processing.

Of course a developer would not bother wasting their time optimising their game for every single GPU on the market, that would be asanine to even suggest such an endeaver, however...
The reality is nVidia and AMD have very similar feature sets when abstracted, they go about implementing specific features very differently but the end result is the same, then AMD and nVidia build an entire range of GPU's from that architectural feature set which is identical across the board minus varying amounts of memories and compute engines and other such things.

Then you have the API, there are several types of API's such as High-Level and Low-Level API's, it's the same for consoles too.
The Low level API's are closer to the metal and are incredibly efficient, however they are also harder to build a game for.
A high Level API is very easy to make a game for, but you sacrifice (obviously) speed.
Both interface with a driver and the driver interfaces with the hardware.

Historically the PC has only had High-Level API's since 3dfx's GLIDE API, consoles have a choice of both.
Battlefield 4 for instance uses a High-Level API on the Playstation 4, hence why it does not run at full 1080P with Ultra settings.

On the PC however, AMD has reintroduced the Low-level API in the forum of Mantle, which initially is only going to be for it's Graphics Core Next Architecture, of course it's open source so nVidia can adapt it's drivers to it too.

To put it in perspective though, nVidia and AMD's drivers have more lines of code than even the Windows Kernel, they're incredibly complex pieces of software in all respects, this is in order to squeeze out maximum performance and image quality whilst retaining complete backwards compatability with decades worth of software and games.

Mantle however will also reduce the Draw Cell overhead, AMD stated that even with an AMD FX underclocked to 2Ghz, that the Radeon R9 290X is still GPU bound.
Draw Cells account for a stupidly massive amount of a games current CPU usage.

Also Real-time Ray tracing isn't going to be here for a long long time, maybe in 3-4 console generations, heck movies like Lord of the Rings, Finding Nemo etc' uses a scanline renderer with photon mapping not ray tracing.

A mix of technologies is the best way to go about it.

Why do you even continue to argue someone who doesn't even know what their talking about. The only part of a physics simulation that is limited by or runs better on a CPU is collision detection (Mostly because the algorithms for it are biased towards sequential processing.) and he doesn't even get full credit for mentioning that. 

Around the Network

The PS4 equivalent gpu is an HD7850 which goes for like 150 dollars maybe less. Absolute cheapest scenario is like this:

Case + PSU = 100 bucks
HDD + Optical Media = 100 bucks

That leaves 150 bucks for the platform CPU/RAM/MOBO. Even the cheapest Athlon based platform costs more than that. Even then, you'd still have to spend some extra cash on some case fans, maybe a cpu cooler, because the stock one sucks balls.

So probably not for 500$. But for 700-800$, you can make a PC that destroys all consoles.

walsufnir said:
Muffin31190 said:
walsufnir said:
The comparison is a bit off. PS4 costs more than $400 to make and assemble and has discounts on every part because of mass production, you buy parts where the stores want to make money with their products so of course it is close to impossible to reach it currently.
You should wait until AMD releases their new APU generations which should be close on par with PS4 and perhaps go for steam-os.
But who buys systems for specs?!

Sill I heard it costs roughly $470 to make I believe, but I found an Interesting article about this exact comparison.

Yes but the costs sum up with what I wrote in my post. The comparison is rather invalid.

Again, people should wait for future APU releases from AMD and will have a better PS4.

I think the point was that as a consumer, you're only spending 400$. It's not 'how close can we get to the price equivalent of ps4', it's 'how close can you get to the pricetag'.

This would be for the purpose of showing what's a better value.

Thank you everybody. I think I'll go ahead and jump on this idea due to the fact that when you add in total costs of software and online subscriptions, in the long run, it's MUCH cheaper. Not to mention Steam sales. I can't tell you how many indie games I picked up on Steam for $2.50-$5.00 that were $15.00 on XBL or PSN. Software on AAA titles are alot cheaper as well.

What I'd like to do, is basically build a great media hub for the living room. Something that can do it ALL without a paywall. Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix,gaming, Youtube, torrents (for new TV shows) and also serve as my main PC for everything else. It really is an incredible bargain when you think about it.

prayformojo said:
Thank you everybody. I think I'll go ahead and jump on this idea due to the fact that when you add in total costs of software and online subscriptions, in the long run, it's MUCH cheaper. Not to mention Steam sales. I can't tell you how many indie games I picked up on Steam for $2.50-$5.00 that were $15.00 on XBL or PSN. Software on AAA titles are alot cheaper as well.

What I'd like to do, is basically build a great media hub for the living room. Something that can do it ALL without a paywall. Blu-ray, DVD, Netflix,gaming, Youtube, torrents (for new TV shows) and also serve as my main PC for everything else. It really is an incredible bargain when you think about it.

If that's the case, grab an Xbox 360 controller and throw Steam into "Big Picture Mode" and happily enjoy.

Also, there are sometimes cheaper alternatives to Steam, keep an eye out on Uplay, Origin, Green Man Gaming, Amazon, Gamefly, EB Games, Humble Bundle and Good Old Games as well as Gamers Gate too.
If you aren't getting at-least $20+ off the console equivalent, then IMHO it's to expensive!

There are lots of free games available aswell.

If you do intend to "do more" then you should beef up the hardware.
Grab a 7870/R9 270/270X and a Core i5 4670K instead. :)
Get a a 750w PSU and make sure the board has dual PCI-E slots so you can just drop in a second card in a few years.

I welcome thee to the PC gaming master race.

fatslob-:O said:

Why do you even continue to argue someone who doesn't even know what their talking about. The only part of a physics simulation that is limited by or runs better on a CPU is collision detection (Mostly because the algorithms for it are biased towards sequential processing.) and he doesn't even get full credit for mentioning that. 

Good question, I honestly have no idea.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Dude, let them argue! That was really interesting and informative to read.

Pemalite said:

You're missing the point completely. There is no "Bottleneck" it's a falacy dreamed up by console gamers who believe in the advertising and hype by their respective companies.
There is a reason why PC's use DDR3 Ram as system Ram and GPU's have GDDR5 Ram.

System Ram is typically 20% give or take lower latency (In overall clock cycles) than GDDR5 memory, this helps massively when there is a stall on the CPU.
GPU's however want bandwidth above all else, latency be damned, GDDR5 is perfect for this.

Grab some DDR3 1600mhz memory, that's 800mhz IO, which has a typical CAS latency of 8, that means it has a latency of 10ns.
Grab some DDR2 800mhz memory, that's 400mhz IO, which has a typical CAS latency of 4, this is also 10ns.

Now with GDDR5 the data rates are 4x faster than the IO clock instead of 2x, I.E. 5ghz GDDR5 is 1.25ghz x4 and would have a CAS Latency of 15.
15/(1.25 GHz) = 12 ns

So the latency of GDDR5 is 20% higher than DDR3, that's a big difference when the CPU doesn't have the data it requires in it's caches and the predicters weren't able to predict the data required for processing ahead of time, we are talking millions/billions of compute cycles here essentially going to waste.

That was done on a Geforce FX.

For one, those cards weren't PCI-E to begin with (There is a big difference between those interconnects and not just in relation to the total GB/s either!).
Secondly... They only used a single core processor and a crap one at that.
Even the Geforce 6800 and 7900 used a PCI-E to AGP bridge chip to enable PCI-E compatibility, with the downside of only maxing out at AGP 8x speeds. - Which is orders of magnitude slower than what we have today.
GPU's are also far more flexible today, The Geforce FX, 6 and 7 series weren't even designed for dedicated compute tasks in mind, I should know I helped write some shaders for Oblivion and Fallout in order to achieve better performance on the FX, Geforce 3 and 4 cards.

You keep parroting that, but that's not what I am seeing on my end on a consumer processor. (And I reiterate, it's essentially the fastest consumer-grade CPU money can buy.)
I can tax all my cores for something like Folding@Home or Bitcoin mining or Seti, I see significant gains when enabling more cores, there is no wall.
I also don't have turbo enabled, all 6 cores and 12 threads run at 4.8ghz as the nominal clock, with allowances for lower when not being utilised to conserve on power.

Confirmed: PS4 is inferior to my PC.

One of my GPU's in my PC is faster than Two PS4 GPU's and a single 8-core Jaguar CPU and I have three of those GPU's.
I could dedicate two of those GPU's to Physics if a developer allowed me to do so, that's almost 9 Teraflops right there, the PS4 would literally scream "I'm a teapot!" in an attempt to process that much data.
And next month my rebuild will be done and I will have four Radeon R9 290X's under water, which would put me at about 12x the power of a PS4 with just my GPU's alone and twice the amount of GDDR5 (Which will also be faster) memory and 8x the system memory.

I also don't have to split work up.
AMD'sdrivers are actually incredibly good at handling that task all by itself even when I give it a generic compute job.

Of course a developer would not bother wasting their time optimising their game for every single GPU on the market, that would be asanine to even suggest such an endeaver, however...

The reality is nVidia and AMD have very similar feature sets when abstracted, they go about implementing specific features very differently but the end result is the same, then AMD and nVidia build an entire range of GPU's from that architectural feature set which is identical across the board minus varying amounts of memories and compute engines and other such things.

Then you have the API, there are several types of API's such as High-Level and Low-Level API's, it's the same for consoles too.
The Low level API's are closer to the metal and are incredibly efficient, however they are also harder to build a game for.
A high Level API is very easy to make a game for, but you sacrifice (obviously) speed.
Both interface with a driver and the driver interfaces with the hardware.

Historically the PC has only had High-Level API's since 3dfx's GLIDE API, consoles have a choice of both.
Battlefield 4 for instance uses a High-Level API on the Playstation 4, hence why it does not run at full 1080P with Ultra settings.

On the PC however, AMD has reintroduced the Low-level API in the forum of Mantle, which initially is only going to be for it's Graphics Core Next Architecture, of course it's open source so nVidia can adapt it's drivers to it too.

To put it in perspective though, nVidia and AMD's drivers have more lines of code than even the Windows Kernel, they're incredibly complex pieces of software in all respects, this is in order to squeeze out maximum performance and image quality whilst retaining complete backwards compatability with decades worth of software and games.

Mantle however will also reduce the Draw Cell overhead, AMD stated that even with an AMD FX underclocked to 2Ghz, that the Radeon R9 290X is still GPU bound.
Draw Cells account for a stupidly massive amount of a games current CPU usage.

Also Real-time Ray tracing isn't going to be here for a long long time, maybe in 3-4 console generations, heck movies like Lord of the Rings, Finding Nemo etc' uses a scanline renderer with photon mapping not ray tracing.

A mix of technologies is the best way to go about it.

GDDR5 latency is 20% higher. Yes, performance hit. But try that, Using a 50/50 split on bandwidth between CPU and GPU on GDDR5, you got almost 90 GB/s of maximum GPU memory read performance. You read and use. On PC, you will have to read DDR3, pass it by PCI-E and write on GDDR5. Note that I'm actually using memory on both sides and that is what I have to do. Now you are dealing with DDR3 latency + GDDR5 latency. My bottleneck is 5 GB/s on PCI-E. Man, PS4 is almost 20 X faster on this! But come on, 20% is really to much. What I'm actually saying is that a PS4 is better than your PC and better than every other home PC around there. Simply because it was architectured to have a lot of memory bandwidth planning about living in a world where it's limited.

Now about physics. 4 GPUs, that's nice! Now split work between them. Pass data between them, loading everything on CPU RAM and passing to other GPU. 4 GPUs will give you a speedup of, in a good case, 2 X, unless you run a optimized and heavily parallel algorithm. All of that just shows that you don't understand GPU programming. First, raw teraflops aren't a good measure. The entire architecture must allow all that power to be used. Take Seti@Home as an example. It has a high count of raw floating point calculation power, but it will lost for much smaller clusters using Infiniband because of comunication overhead. And that is the problem with parallel computing, comunication costs a lot. And a GPU can be treated as a single cluster (except for being a SIMD machine while regular clusters are MIMD). And please, don't say your GPU is faster than 2 PS4 GPUs and a CPU. You can't compare a CPU and a GPU like that. MIMD x SIMD. A MIMD CPU can execute different instructions at the same time while a SIMD GPU only executes the same instruction on all cores with different data. A MIMD machine can do everything a SIMD machine does, while the opposite isn't true. If I run an algorithm with a lot of conditional statements (AI for example) or a recursive one, your GPU won't beat even the Pentium 4 of the article I passed.

You still refuses to see the memory wall. I sent you a link for a paper of computing conferences. I sent you a link to a paper wrote by John Von Neumann itself. If he can't convince you, no one more can. I will say again, do you really think that your non-scientific observations of your own computer usage are a better source of info than a research from Von Neumann? I'm not talking about running simpe tasks. I'm assuming that a group of developers will sit down and say "let's use every single core, every drop of power of the GPU, offload tasks as possible, optimize access to minimize cache misses, use well the bandwidth and extract every single drop of power here". Thats what gives you power. Balancing load to find a point where you maximize the usage of everything on that environment. And yes, it means even using cache correctly to avoid misses. And for that, you need to know exactly what is under the hood. Every spec. That's why supercomputers are homogeneous clusters, because knowing exactly the balance of power between nodes allows you to make the right decisions. 

Just to end, real time raytracing is planned by NVidia in around 5 years, after 2 new iterations of GPUs. 3 or 4 console generations are 20 years, that's crazy. They have a double effort running in parallel, their GPU and tools (OptiX) improving and newer and more optimized algorithms do do faster ray tracing (using more optimized tree data structures, etc). Actually, when Sony and MS asked developer of what they wanted for a new console, they were asked to not use a ray tracing capable GPU, because all engines would have to be redone from scratch to use it. Of course, that was a little exagerations since not even a Titan could do it at realtime, but current GPUs are pretty close of doing that, so I think they just want to be sure of it.

Scoobes said:

Dude, let them argue! That was really interesting and informative to read.

If you wanted to learn more so badly then just PM Pemalite or me. 

To be honest i fear that really no pc you build today will deliver the same game experience as a PS4 in a few years time. I think people are really underestimating the change that will occur in the near future when it comes to programming, those one chip designs and and unified memory means so many tasks are going to be shared and offloaded to the GPU, physics, AI you name it. It only takes like 10% of the PS4's gpu power to equal a top of the line i7 cpu when it comes to big computing tasks. And since both XOne and PS4 use low powered 8 core cpu's, devs will have to focus on sharing tasks on many cores. We all saw what happened last gen, when games started running crappy on anything less then a tri-core cpu. This means that AMD's 8 core cpu's could start to outperform the much faster quad core i7 cpu's in games in the future.

If you want a budget gaming pc i would recommend waiting a little longer and pick up one of AMD's new APU's when the come out. Those could match the XOne in power, and since that means your pc will be pretty similair games will likely run fine. Besides with the integrated graphics you could save on buying an external graphics card, meaning it might actually be alot cheaper than even $500.

theprof00 said:
walsufnir said

Yes but the costs sum up with what I wrote in my post. The comparison is rather invalid.

Again, people should wait for future APU releases from AMD and will have a better PS4.

I think the point was that as a consumer, you're only spending 400$. It's not 'how close can we get to the price equivalent of ps4', it's 'how close can you get to the pricetag'.

This would be for the purpose of showing what's a better value.

Yes, sure. It's the same discussion as with every new gen. But "value" is of course still opinion. Thing is, as long as PS4 keeps its price, the more pc-components become cheaper. But generally the decision whether buying console or PC should not be decided on specs but on games in the first place. Why should you spend $1000 if you can't play Uncharted x or Halo x?