Wii - 112.25 million
360 - 46.41 million
PS3 - 43.20 million

From your sig

Console Sales by end of 2008

Wii = 42m

360 = 24m

PS3 = 18m

So between 2008 and 2009 PS3 and 360 will lose consoles sold and nintendo will gain very little. Best analysis ever

Around the Network
starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
MikeB said:
I have defended VGChartz on many occasions at other forums, pointing out the website seems to learn from past mistakes and updates the figures when more accurate data is available.

The differences between the latest NPD data are just too big to be defended. I would suggest to adjust ASAP, it really hurts the creditability of the website.

When it comes to tracking North American console sales NPD >>> VGChartz, simple as that.

So what your saying is that unless VGChartz directly reacts to NPD on a monthly basis by adjusting VG numbers to mirro those of NPD, the site lacks credibility? Such a move would only tell the gaming community that the site had no confidence in its own numbers and that NPD is always correct.

This would be a huge mistake given that in some instances VG turned out to be MORE ACCURATE on hardware in the last quarter of 2007 than NPD in the USA.

that's right but in this case microsoft accepted that PS3 outsold the 360 in NA,for the month of Jan,,in a interview done 2 days ago,don't you think if the data was inaccurate microsoft would point it out instead of accepting it?

MikeB regularly claims that elsewhere he defends the site's data, but whenever he is actually on the site he questions any data that DOESN'T support the PS3.  

In this case, the bolded sentence is clearly incorrect when used a general statement like that because, as I pointed out, there are times when VG hardware tracking is better than NPD's. 

- Only when I spot big differences, the tracking companies are of course more professional and concentrate only on the countries of expertise. GfK, Chart Track, NPD and Media Create are all >>> VGChartz with regard to data reliability. We have to be realistic.

- The PS3 data is more often undertracked than other data, with regard to North America VGChartz has been off in this regard on multiple occasions, this while usually overtracking the Wii and 360 data. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why most often the data I didn't agree with turned to the advantage of the PS3.

- The most recent Chart Track data was also a shocker when talking about VGChartz accuracy. And the US, UK are two of the easiest countries to track. Miscalculations, estimations for most European and Asian countries are far harder to track, so it should IMO be expected the accuracy is even less, like staff already admitted.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

This is not NPDchartz, adjusting to NPD wouldn't make the numbers necessarily accurate, as NPD adjusts their numbers as well, just not publicly, if ioi finds a reason to adjust he will, if not he'll stick with his numbers, just because NPD is more accepted doesn't mean they are more accurate

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
This is not NPDchartz, adjusting to NPD wouldn't make the numbers necessarily accurate, as NPD adjusts their numbers as well, just not publicly, if ioi finds a reason to adjust he will, if not he'll stick with his numbers, just because NPD is more accepted doesn't mean they are more accurate

More accurate, Microsoft, Nintendo nor Sony dispute NPD's data and are customers for a reason.

Maybe it's my statistics background which makes me differ so much in opinion. The chance that VGChartz is more accurate than the NPD is neglectable. Especially so if data lies far apart, when they are within range it may happen by pure luck incidents (not due to the process being more reliable, for example if you have enough people sucking numbers out of their tumbs eventually one may actually be closer to the truth than NPD's estimate). The truth may well be that the NPD still slightly overtracked the Wii, DS and 360 and undertracked the PS3, depsite that would mean the figures would lie even further apart!

Really I think if you look at this objectivily or worked with statistics it should be plain obvious.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Avinash_Tyagi said:

If ioi says they're more accurate, then they're more accurate. I'm really starting to think you're in a state of denial. NPD covers about 60% of the US market, whereas VGchartz tracks about 15%. In addition, they have far more tools and resources than VGchartz does. Thus, they are able to make more accurate estimates than our site does. Even ioi, the owner of the site, has acknowlegded this. When the owner of the site tells us that NPD is more accurate, chances are that they're more accurate. I really don't see why you're refusing to believe NPD's data. Looking through your posting history I can only see one reason why you don't want to exept these numbers as accurate: because the Nintendo Wii didn't blow every things away. I'm afraid I don't understand how one could suggest Vgchartz numbers being more accurate when ioi has said the opposite multiple times. Not only has ioi stated NPD is more accurate, he often changes his numbers when NPD releases theirs. Furthermore, ioi has said most of his data is from more tradition gaming stores. NPD has a far better grasp on the mainstream market. Believing that Vgchartz is more accurate than NPD is truely wishful thinking by us members here. It could even be considered delusional!

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

well congrats to ps3 it reached a milestone

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

MikeB said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

More accurate, Microsoft, Nintendo nor Sony dispute NPD's data and are customers for a reason.

Maybe it's my statistics background which makes me differ so much in opinion. The chance that VGChartz is more accurate than the NPD is neglectable. Especially so if data lies far apart, when they are within range it may happen by pure luck incidents (not due to the process being more reliable, for example if you have enough people sucking numbers out of their tumbs eventually one may actually be closer to the truth than NPD's estimate). The truth may well be that the NPD still slightly overtracked the Wii, DS and 360 and undertracked the PS3, depsite that would mean the figures would lie even further apart!

Really I think if you look at this objectivily or worked with statistics it should be plain obvious.

Actually size of a sample isn't the main judge of accuracy, how representative that sample is is a bigger issue, anyways i'm not going to argue it beyond saying this, ioi has a better vantage point of the data than either of us, if he doesn't change it then he has his reasons, as he stated earlier when he gave his views, as I said, if he finds a reason to change then he will, otherwise he won't

If ioi says they're more accurate, then they're more accurate. I'm really starting to think you're in a state of denial. NPD covers about 60% of the US market, whereas VGchartz tracks about 15%. In addition, they have far more tools and resources than VGchartz does. Thus, they are able to make more accurate estimates than our site does. Even ioi, the owner of the site, has acknowlegded this. When the owner of the site tells us that NPD is more accurate, chances are that they're more accurate. I really don't see why you're refusing to believe NPD's data. Looking through your posting history I can only see one reason why you don't want to exept these numbers as accurate: because the Nintendo Wii didn't blow every things away. I'm afraid I don't understand how one could suggest Vgchartz numbers being more accurate when ioi has said the opposite multiple times. Not only has ioi stated NPD is more accurate, he often changes his numbers when NPD releases theirs. Furthermore, ioi has said most of his data is from more tradition gaming stores. NPD has a far better grasp on the mainstream market. Believing that Vgchartz is more accurate than NPD is truely wishful thinking by us members here. It could even be considered delusional!

Actually what he said was this:

Well the only figures from NPD that cause me any concern this month are DS hardware, PS3 hardware and Galaxy. Everything else, as far as I am concerned, agrees well enough to be within margins of data sampling differences. Tackling each one in turn:

DS hardware - from our sample data, DS was consistently selling better than all other hardware across the board. We had some shortages reported, but nowhere near the level that NPD are reporting here and nowhere near the level that Wii seemed to be seeing. So the obvious conclusions are that our stores were not that representitive in that they must have been better stocked than nationally on average, although I feel that NPD may be quite low themselves on DS data. I also think that sometimes they will scale data to account for errors in previous months, maybe we are seeing an element of this. We will speak to Nintendo to get a better feel from them as to how many units they actually managed to ship last month. Interestingly, if you compare NPD LTD figures for DS (and add a generous 10% for Canada) to Nintendo shipments you'll find that even if Nintendo didn't manage to ship any new units in Jan there should still have been enough units floating around from December to sell much more than 250k in Jan.

PS3 figures also defy logic to an extent. Sure people will be buying more PS3s since there is a shortage of 360 premiums but still that is a big jump from the kind of sales we saw in November / Dec (relative - it is obviousy less but not as much less as you'd expect given the modest holiday sales). Again, our data consistently had PS3 at the bottom of the pack, despite 360 shortages and I find it hard to see how we could be 80-90k too low unless some chains were seeing an enormous PS3 boost - all our data had it selling on par or slightly less than this time last year.

Galaxy sales are also a little suprising, from selling similar amounts to COD4 in November / December it sells half in Jan? Traditionally, we'd expect Mario to have larger legs, which of course it will later in the year as COD falls away, but again all of our data had Galaxy comfortably outselling everything else throughout Jan. So again, I'm in no rush to go changing anything and am waiting to see what manufacturers say on the issue.

A general comment about NPDs hardware data this month, all figures fall between 270k and 230k. Given the fact that ~80-90k of this is from Walmart / TRU alone, I'd almost call it a 6-way tie - especially under a situation with huge shortages which affect different stores in different ways. Walmart could quite conceivably have sold 150k DS alone last month, for example, had they been sent units preferrentially. I'm not saying they did, but it is worth bearing this kind of thing in mind. Certainly those making a big issue of PS3 > 360 when the difference is 30k in a month that has proven to be hard to peg down due to stock issues are definitely not showing much of an understanding for this kind of thing...

So as I said if he finds a reason to change then he will, otherwise he won't.

Anyways arguing over it won't change anything, we'll have to wait and see if he decides to change anything

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ Avinash_Tyagi

Actually size of a sample isn't the main judge of accuracy, how representative that sample is is a bigger issue

Assume you count 99% of the market and you have to extrapolate the remaining 1%. You know that this 1% only relates to small shops, however you have data for 80% of similar small shops within the 99% data (~5% of the market for all such small shops), so based on this you extrapolate 20% of uncounted sales for small shops and thus 1% of the market as a whole. The end estimation would be very reliable. This method can be expected to be more accurate than just directly extrapolating 1% from the whole market.

The sample volume and diversity of sources is directly related to reliability above. Would the above example have been (an alledged) 15% of the market, not knowing the percentage of different kinds of stores there are and thier influence you will run into problems. For example with regard to game console sale => dedicated expensive game stores, budget pricing game stores, mass diversity retail stores, toystores, audio-visual stores, etc.

In this example 15% of maket coverage is very much useless if you don't have a good understanding what kinds of shops these are and what the rest of the market looks like.

The NPD has the knowledge, expertise, manpower and connections to much more accurately estimate the missing data (much better than VGChartz for sure). The bigger sample size is of course most welcome and helps a lot as well, but also with regard to resources NPD >>> VGChartz.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Sales by end of 2009 at this rate

Wii - 42.50 million
360 - 23.79 million
Ps3 - 17.64 million

End of 2010

Wii - 65.75 million
360 - 31.33 million
PS3 - 26.16 million

End of 2011

Wii - 89.00 million
360 - 38.87 million
PS3 - 34.68 million

End of 2012

Wii - 112.25 million
360 - 46.41 million
PS3 - 43.20 million

do you mean end of 2008 because those are prett low for end of 2008

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

All forums are wondering why VGC is so far from NPD report... Lets update it, else you will lose trust from visitors