By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS4 renew the lack of home console gaming in Japan?

ehhh no.. its still questionable if it will sell better than the vita in that market. (which is doing better)

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
Grandia said:
No, PS4 will change nothing and Sony itself is partly to blame for this. Sony is a Japanese company and they treat their own country as not important, they releas the ps 4 at the very end there. This tells all about you have to know about how Sony views japanese market.

Japanese customers and developers are focused on Smartphone and Handheld gaming and Sony does their best to change nothing about this.

Glad you brought this up, I was curious as to why Sony released the PS4 last in Japan, they always released their new gaming consoles in Japan first what changed?

Gilgamesh said:
Grandia said:
No, PS4 will change nothing and Sony itself is partly to blame for this. Sony is a Japanese company and they treat their own country as not important, they releas the ps 4 at the very end there. This tells all about you have to know about how Sony views japanese market.

Japanese customers and developers are focused on Smartphone and Handheld gaming and Sony does their best to change nothing about this.

Glad you brought this up, I was curious as to why Sony released the PS4 last in Japan, they always released their new gaming consoles in Japan first what changed?

Because they have no competition in Japan.

Gilgamesh said:
Grandia said:

some one slapped some sense in them, thats what changed.

Who here thinks Killzone Battfiled and COD make sense as the only major launch titles, for japan.

AZWification said:

Simply no. I actually see the Wii U doing much better than the PS4 in Japan.

1.  "wii u doing better"

2. "doing much better than ps4"

This post is going to be much fun.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Japan's gaming scene is becoming more and more irrelevant.

Sort of. The handheld market still sells well. At least, their industry is not bloated with shooters

BeElite said:
Gilgamesh said:
Grandia said:

some one slapped some sense in them, thats what changed.

Who here thinks Killzone Battfiled and COD make sense as the only major launch titles, for japan.

But this is a consequence of Sonys new focus and direction. It is up to Sony to decide which games they develop if they would not spam out hundrets of generic Shooters but instead let one of their Japanes developers  finally make a sequel to Legend of Dragoon or some new JRPG IP than  they could  easily launch way earlier in Japan. The big problem is that Sony gives a crap about the japanes market and with their actions they influence the importance of console gaming in japan as a whole in a negative way. 

If Wii/WiiU couldn't do it with NSMB, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest, I highly doubt PS4 will be able to. However, Japan is an insane market and tough to predict, so who the hell knows..

No, pretty sure it can't. It appears to be more or less exactly on the same path as the PS3, which didn't cause tidal waves in Japan.
The main problem is that global developer culture has moved farther and farther towards a Western-centric position and there just isn't that much focus on traditional Japanese gaming any more.
Even games and franchises that had that unmistakeable Japanese tinge to them have changed a lot (Resident Evil would be a prime example) and moved a lot more towards the Western and more action oriented segment of gaming.
Some are also being relatively successfull with this recipe, Demon's Souls is a good pick for that; it has a Japanese sort of structure but a Western look and feel to it and a lot of the gameplay elements have been taken closer to the ground and less over-the-top, the combat is sombre and to the point, unlike the more traditional Japanese recipe with colors flashing over the screen, crazy air-juggling combos and 50 hit super special ultra kill attacks.

Whether or not this is a good thing overall is not for me to say, personally I'm not opposed to either approach in principle but I think it's a shame if one takes over entirely, leaving the market less diverse.
One thing seems certain though; all this is causing Japan as a gaming market to lose interest home consoles, especially with a Western centric philosophy, the Xbox brand is dead over there and the PS3 and PS4 is and are turning into a slightly more Japanese Xbox, and the Xbox is becoming a slightly more American Playstation, they're meeting in the middle and essentially fighting over the same customer.

Due to these rather minute differences though, which are more in perception that actual offering and direction, the Playstation will have the upper hand in Japan and the Xbox will have the upper hand in America.

It takes more to capture the imagination of the Japanese than better graphics, so I'm gonna say no.