By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Do People Act Like Sony (Computer Entertainment) Doesn't Have Financial Problems?

Metallicube said:

Shhh quiet you! Sony is perfect in all ways and can do no wrong. PS3 will continue to sell millions every year from now till eternity and end up selling 100 billion units and PS4 will take out Nintendo and MS and take over the world!

I really can't stand posts like this.

Around the Network
Wanderlei said:
Sony are a finical wreck and will be lucky to last the PS4 life span.

Sony Loses $2.2 Billion in Market Value After Forecast Cut
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-01/sony-loses-2-2-billion-in-market-value-after-hirai-forecast-cut.html

and now what does the forcast say after one of the biggest selling console launches in the history of video games!.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

The well being and profitability of SCE was sacrificed to win the format war.
I don't know if it was worth it or not.

But most know if not for the massive BR costs PS3 would have spanked the 360 and out done the wii, given how well its done with all the pricing disadvantages.

Looking at how well PS4 and PS3 are doing. No need to worry about SCE.

Wanderlei said:
Sony are a finical wreck and will be lucky to last the PS4 life span.

Sony Loses $2.2 Billion in Market Value After Forecast Cut
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-01/sony-loses-2-2-billion-in-market-value-after-hirai-forecast-cut.html

as i said they need to lose thier tv and PC departments badly, and need to start making new movies people actually want to watch.  not sequals of shitty movies, or remakes but actual good movies.  Bravia tvs are way to expensive for the small to no advantage they give over thier compeititors, when best buy is selling a REFURBISHED 46" bravia tv 1080p and its only 60hz for 850$ and vizio makes the same size tv thats got similar specs new not refurbished for 400$ which you can see why thier tv buisness is doing horrific.  now i get vizio isnt in the same class as sony or samsung but its not like thats a high end tv.   thier pcs are in the same exact boat, overpriced when compared to similarly spec'd HPs and Toshiba's

Wanderlei said:
oniyide said:
prayformojo said:
Nintentacle said:
prayformojo said:
Nintentacle said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

When the PS3 launched they had everything against them and still managed to turn it around, now with the PS4 they have everything going for them there is almost no way for them not to do good this gen.

Even if PS4 is the fastest selling console in history, it doesn't make sense to ingore how financially unsuccessful the PS3 was and pretend it was a huge financial success because it sold 80 million. I can understand why the "journalist" do it though. Since It's mostly used in negative Nintendo articles, Nintendo fanboys will keep going back to the website to see if they put up more negative Nintendo articles. It's sort of like what YouTube trolls do to get views.

The only people who care about how "financially successful" a console is are stock holders and excuse makers. Everyone else cares about total units sold. Right or wrong, it's how this whole thing works.

What do you see on the front page of vgchartz? A graph showing which is making the most revenue? Or a graph showing which consoles sold the most units?

They have a graph showing hardware sales because It's a sales website.

....and because that's what people actually CARE about.

not only people, but game devs and publishers as they are the ones putting games on systems and care about how much consoles are actually out their and not how much money they make

Its relevant when the parent company goes belly up and can no longer support the platform, which is the exact direction Sony is headed.

with the best selling launch console of all time? LMAO tell you what when they go belly up then you can call me. Until then, you are nothing but a Sony hater.

Around the Network

Fully agree with this. Didn't the PS3 launch cost Sony billions in development, and billions more with the loss on the price cut? The amount of layoffs, stock drops, and fact that they had to sell their HQ to stay profitable shows the PS3 was an embarrassment, both financially and for gamers, since the Cell processor and divided RAM made practically every 3rd party game perform like crap.

This gen, Nintendo will have to do what Sony did last gen; make more 1st party titles. Quite simply, the only reason the PS3 sold moderately in its first few years was because of it being a relatively cheap Blu-Ray player. Sony doesn't really have anything special in regards to media this time. Everyone has blu-ray, everyone has a device to stream wifi.

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

KingdomHeartsFan said:

When the PS3 launched they had everything against them and still managed to turn it around, now with the PS4 they have everything going for them there is almost no way for them not to do good this gen.

nailed it

Maybe because most don't have Sony stocks??? Or maybe because they play the games not Sony finances... and Sony seems to be doing good on PS front nowadays (since 2010).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RenCutypoison said:
superhippy420 said:
RenCutypoison said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

/thread

The way for them to not do good this gen is to move 90 - 100 million consoles (which bring in no profit) and then have terrible 1st party software sales like the PS3 had.   PS3's 1st party software levels are only 20 million better then the Gamecube's, with about twice as many games.  They turned the PS3 console sales arround but then the  only games people bought were COD,FIFA, and GTA.  

So they failed one gen after domintaing 2. Still 66% oversuccess. And the no-profit part with the yen inflation is quite undestandable, they couldn't see it coming, nobody could.

Not entrely true. They lost massive amounts of money with the PS3 (Billions)

The PSP became a emulator/hacker haven, so no money off that.

And no doubt the Vita is eating some of the PS4 sales.

In addition, the PS4 is selling what it is because of hype. Unlike the Ps1 CD, PS2 DVD, and PS3 Blu Ray capabilities, the PS4 doesn't have much general consumer interest. Considering that 1st party titles aren't selling too well at the moment, despite huge development costs, I'm shocked it still has 1st part developers.  

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

One successful console from Sony isn't going to turn the entire company around. Sony won't likely see a profit on the PS4 until early 2015. And even then the amount Sony is going to be making on the PS4 isn't all that impressive considering a company of its size. Saying all that - the Sony Computer Entertainment Division has been profitable (as far as I know) - though that really doesn't matter if Sony as a whole is struggling.

They just make bad decisions and even SCE, where they are profitable, they still make bad business decisions. (The Move, questionable investments in studios, the Vita, etc.)

They need to revamp their T.V. and laptop divisions to make more cost efficient products. And need to hire movie producers who have a brain to lead their film studios. The PS4 isn't going to affect them all that much.