By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Do People Act Like Sony (Computer Entertainment) Doesn't Have Financial Problems?

bouzane said:
@Nintentacle

I can agree with you there. That being said, does anybody know exactly how much the PS3 lost/made? I think that the PS3 R&D and launch cost over four billion dollars but I'm not entirely sure. Also, it's worth mentioning that the Xbox brand lost over nine billion dollars before becoming profitable. I seriously don't understand what Microsoft was / is trying to accomplish with Xbox.

I have no sources, but It is likely that the PS3 has made much of its losses back in profits. The recent losses in the game divisions is most likely due to the launch of the vita and subsequent failure to sell.

Around the Network

consoles have always been sold at a loss, its software sales that bring in the cash for the console maker, why do you think sony has so many first party developers, nintendo is exactly the same as is microsoft, the only people who should be concerned with any consoles profitability are its shareholders, for us gamers it not important so this thread is pointless.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

bouzane said:
@Nintentacle

I can agree with you there. That being said, does anybody know exactly how much the PS3 lost/made? I think that the PS3 R&D and launch cost over four billion dollars but I'm not entirely sure. Also, it's worth mentioning that the Xbox brand lost over nine billion dollars before becoming profitable. I seriously don't understand what Microsoft was / is trying to accomplish with Xbox.

Just as a tiny little correction, they are not profitable overall, just the console is currently.

k so sony lost money on ps3. sony makes speakers home surround sound/car/headphones, phones, games, mp3s ,laptops , cameras , tablets , blueray 1/24th , movies , and alot of other small products/hardwear products.

what is nintendo suppoted by. games,3 systems

dont get me wrong i like nintendo but sony is just a giant and a loss on ps3 isn't as bad as a loss for the wii u.

Nintentacle said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

When the PS3 launched they had everything against them and still managed to turn it around, now with the PS4 they have everything going for them there is almost no way for them not to do good this gen.

Even if PS4 is the fastest selling console in history, it doesn't make sense to ingore how financially unsuccessful the PS3 was and pretend it was a huge financial success because it sold 80 million. I can understand why the "journalist" do it though. Since It's mostly used in negative Nintendo articles, Nintendo fanboys will keep going back to the website to see if they put up more negative Nintendo articles. It's sort of like what YouTube trolls do to get views.

The only people who care about how "financially successful" a console is are stock holders and excuse makers. Everyone else cares about total units sold. Right or wrong, it's how this whole thing works.

What do you see on the front page of vgchartz? A graph showing which is making the most revenue? Or a graph showing which consoles sold the most units?

Around the Network

Same could be said how much profit PS1 and PS2 did too.

BTW the Sony company is having financial problems... the Game Division is profiting since 2009.

prayformojo said:
Nintentacle said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

When the PS3 launched they had everything against them and still managed to turn it around, now with the PS4 they have everything going for them there is almost no way for them not to do good this gen.

Even if PS4 is the fastest selling console in history, it doesn't make sense to ingore how financially unsuccessful the PS3 was and pretend it was a huge financial success because it sold 80 million. I can understand why the "journalist" do it though. Since It's mostly used in negative Nintendo articles, Nintendo fanboys will keep going back to the website to see if they put up more negative Nintendo articles. It's sort of like what YouTube trolls do to get views.

The only people who care about how "financially successful" a console is are stock holders and excuse makers. Everyone else cares about total units sold. Right or wrong, it's how this whole thing works.

What do you see on the front page of vgchartz? A graph showing which is making the most revenue? Or a graph showing which consoles sold the most units?

They have a graph showing hardware sales because It's a sales website. 

Farsala said:
bouzane said:
@Nintentacle

I have no sources, but It is likely that the PS3 has made much of its losses back in profits. The recent losses in the game divisions is most likely due to the launch of the vita and subsequent failure to sell.

Yep, the Vita is the only problem. The PS3 is still profiting.

theleaguegame said:

k so sony lost money on ps3. sony makes speakers home surround sound/car/headphones, phones, games, mp3s ,laptops , cameras , tablets , blueray 1/24th , movies , and alot of other small products/hardwear products.

The products you listed are under the "IP&S", "MP&C", "HE&S" and "Pictures" segments of Sony.  Consumer products are what the company is best known for but do not necessarily make them the most in terms of Operating Income.  The items you listed fit in the categories below.

Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S) = cameras

Mobile Products & Communications (MP&C) = phones, laptops, tablets

Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S) = speakers, home surround/car/headphone, blu-ray, mp3 players 

Pictures = movies

Q2 FY13 Operating Income highlighted in blue, second number. (below)

Operating Income Q2 FY13 on bottom half, right side. (below)

you haven't met kowenicki yet then?

Above & Beyond