Gantz
Phantom
Speed Grapher

Dragon Ball Z

Bleach

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
naruball said:
I know internet people hate mainstream anime, but I've tried watching some niche ones and they've all disappointed me.

Here's my list:

1. Death(o) Note(Noto): simply put a masterpiece. No words to describe its brilliance (apart from one horrible episode).

2. Naruto: Not perfect, but still absolutely superb when it's good. The idea of friendship is strong in this one.

3. Dragon Ball (Z or whatever). Not that good for modern standards but its influence on some many anime that came after it is undeniable. Because of nostalgia it deserves its spot.

4. Sailor Moon: Guilty pleasure, but also a great series in terms of emotion. I think I cried a few times watching it.

5. Attack on Titan: It's hard to explain why it's so good, but it is. It just is. If you haven't watch it, do yourself a favour and spend a day or two watching one of the most exciting series ever made.

6. Bleach: It's great, but not awesome. I really miss it, but there were quite a few storylines that didn't work well and I did find myself being bored while watching most of the fillers.

7. Sword Art Online: Great idea. Not the best anime, but it's worth your time. Why this hasn't been made into a live tv series (similar to hunger games) is beyond me.

8. Fairytail. It ain't perfect, but it's good enough. Fanservice stuff annoy the hell out of me though.

9. Pokemon. Well, it's not fun any more if you're an adult, but it has its moments.

Can't think of a 10th.

How do you determine whats mainstream anime or niche anime?

Theres a reason why the most popular anime are the most popular. But anyways i like your list.

The problem with some of the "mainstream" animes like Naruto, Bleach, Fairytale etc. Is that they have really high points in the series. Which simply cannot be matched by later episodes. Not to mention that the mainstream animes seem to suffer much more from exploitation like filler and dilution of the original manga storylines. This has a major negative impact on the quality of the anime as a whole..to the point where you might not even recognise the anime 300 episodes later.

Naruto is a good example. The first 135 episodes of naruto (minus the little filler they had) is really intense, fast paced, high quality and really well thought through. It also stuck very close to the original manga. The next 80 episodes was all filler....i mean seriously.

Then if you look at shippuuden...from the very first episode they strayed away from the manga...mixed up storylines and the order of events. Slowed the pace of the story's progression to a snails pace and the quality of the anime as a whole was up and down through out. It never really lived up to the hype imo. And now when people on the internet judge naruto they take into account everything...all 500+ episodes (i think theres that much?) And if you take every episode into account then naruto isnt a very good anime at all really.

Contrast that with niche anime that stick very closely to the original story and dont suffer from exploitation as well as shorter mainstream anime like AOT, Steins Gate and Sword Art Online etc. which focus on qaulity over quantity... and you can see why mainstream anime like Naruto and Bleach never really make it on the top 10 or top anything list for internet people.

That being said naruto is number one on my list and im an internet person

Thanks for the great response.

I believe that to a large extent some internet people feel kinda superior when they suggest niche anime (not referring to anyone here, btw). Some feel like that they are special in their own way and admitting liking something that everyone else does, takes away some of their uniqueness. It's like when they go on rage mode when a popular girls claims she's a nerd. There was a video of a guy being upset about people calling themselves nerds when they're popular and have a good social life. Anyway, I could go on for ever, but I won't.

As for Naruto, I guess I disagree with most people who don't like the fillers. I think they're pretty awesome. I liked the yota episodes, when everyone else hated them. I pretend that the manga doens't exist, so Yota becomes an important part of Naruto's life, as it's thanks to him that he first makes friends with Sakura and the others. The only one filler that I hated (I'm sure there are more, just nothing else comes to mind) was the one where his clones rebel and tie him to the ship. There were quite a few cases where I wasn't sure if an episode was a filler or not. They were that good (imho). What happened between between Jiraya and Pain was simply amazing for me and no anime comes close to it. I don't expect 500+ to be all perfect, so I don't judge it that harshly. I'd rather watch 500 episodes than 150 really intense ones. Death Note wins because the writing is simply that good. I think that people who complain about Naruto should find a filler list and skip those. 

Just my two cents. 

In no real order:

Serial Experiments Lain
Street Fighter II V
Azumanga Daioh
Shin-Chan
Speed Racer
Samurai Pizza Cats
Cyber-Six
Dragon Ball

Akira and Princess Mononoke too but those are movies.

I feel old..

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Soriku said:
MohammadBadir said:
No love for Bleach :/
I love that show

It's good but not top 10 material, even ignoring the fillers. The Soul Society arc is very good but eventually the show just starts dragging. If they announced that they were animating this last arc in the manga though I'd just drop the manga because I'd like to see it animated.

@zarx

Jojo is awesome. I think if they continue animating the rest of the parts (part 3 was announced a little whole ago) it'll make top 10 for me.

Damn straight it's fabulous

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Glad Clannad and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are getting a good amount of love. The original FMA was just so bad in my opinion I can't even watch it anymore.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

1. One Piece
2-10 (No order Srry guys!!!)

~Hunter x Hunter
~Attack on Titan
~Naruto
~Fairy Tail
~Hitman Reborn
~School Rumble
~Beelzebub
~Full Metal Alchemist
~Symphogear

Runner Up

Deathnote
DeadmanWonderland
Gantz
Phantom
Speed Grapher

Dragon Ball Z

Bleach

I should have said in no order either, I only know One Piece is first for me too lol.

I'm looking for a short (couple of seasons like Death Note) anime! I don't want to get into something that has hundreds and hundreds of episodes.

I've only seen Death Note. What's the best out there?? I'm really a noob in anime.

veritaz said:
tbone51 said:

1. One Piece
2-10 (No order Srry guys!!!)

~Hunter x Hunter
~Attack on Titan
~Naruto
~Fairy Tail
~Hitman Reborn
~School Rumble
~Beelzebub
~Full Metal Alchemist
~Symphogear

Runner Up

Deathnote
DeadmanWonderland
Gantz
Phantom
Speed Grapher

Dragon Ball Z

Bleach

I should have said in no order either, I only know One Piece is first for me too lol.

Do you read the manga.? (if your caught up post here!) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=174164&page=1

One Piece is Overall my favorite, Even though many others beat it in certain areas. Fairy tail i would put in my 2nd but Hiro kills it with that F-ing Plot Nakama powerup/Fanservice. I swear First 5 years of Fairy Tail were great then he doesn't want anybody to lose and every Chapter has to have Boobs and/or Ass -_-. Im not trying to read an Ecchi manga, its too much sometimes!

Have you watched Hunter x Hunter or Hitman reborn?

Boutros said:
I'm looking for a short (couple of seasons like Death Note) anime! I don't want to get into something that has hundreds and hundreds of episodes.

I've only seen Death Note. What's the best out there?? I'm really a noob in anime.

Try Full metal alchemist: brotherhood or Code Geass. Both are amazing and short anime. They are a little bit longer than Deathnote though.

Boutros said:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and The World God Only Knows are both great.