By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fight: Gran Turismo 6 vs Project CARS @ Bathurst Circuit * You Will Be Surprised *

Tagged games:

Man Project Cars looked so awesome !!!

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

DamnTastic said:

oh god it's even worse than I could imagine

From my head...

iRacing
Live for Speed
rFactor
Assetto Corsa
Superstars V8 Racing
Racer

And I'm forgenting a lot.

How is Assetto Corsa? I was thinking about getting it on Steam.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:

Promissing but it is in Early Adopter on Steam yet... I didn't play it yet.

ethomaz said:

If the thread was about graphics only...

Then why even bother posting videos?, and go in to detail on why you think GT6 looks better than pc version of cars?

Please save me the excuse of topology, having hills and notable bumps where they should be is by no means approximate, you can say "lazer scanned track" and roll out numbers all day of why a virtual track is close to the real thing but the reality of it is in final production the geometry for the track is shaved down as much as possible to reduce complexity, both to save resources and to prevent it impacting performance, this process removes much of that topological data and smooths out the bumps to a point where youre like "wow they have the same hill!, the same dip too!" but beyond that they rarely match up to the real thing.

that said, this process is labor and cost intensive, it involves renting out a track for a considerable duration while measurements are taken and even when youve pulled said data, you cant just freely use that in a game without seeking and paying for licenesing to use the tracks name.

Someone earlier talked about licensing in relation to the actual topology, well thats just bullshit sorry to say, the licensing is simply for using the name and likeness of a track, and would need to be paid regardless of how accurate your final game track is.

The biggest, and most obvious issue here is that track tolopogy changes, resurfacing sections or simply from frequent use, bumps flatten, dips are born, curvature increases or decreases, ground movement or weather effects elevation, solidity and surface tracktion, none of this data is accounted for in any game, no matter what it looks like or how much money has gone in to it.

to sell me again how topology based on a significantly optimized (smoothed out) then tweaked mesh, is notably better than just building the same course with estimated topology?

ethomaz said:

adriane23 said:

Promissing but it is in Early Adopter on Steam yet... I didn't play it yet.

Ah I see. Thanks.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

Project cars looks better but it fails since it could only look marginally better using harware years ahead of the PS3.

"CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-3550 @ 3.7GHz
GRAPHIC CARD: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB
RAM : 8 GB GSkill DDR3 1600"

Clearly the accuracy of a racing track in a racing simulator is irrelevant and it's all about how good the trees in the background look :^)

That GT6 vs Real Life comparison is crazy. Will be incredible to see what GT7 looks like.

For fun I covered the left side of the video and asked my fiance to tell me which one was real life and she said the bottom, which is GT6. Granted she wasn't staring at it closely to see jaggies or anything. I find it so cool that at a quick glace she had no idea. It was at ~1:30 into the video when they hit that straightaway.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Frequency said:

Then why even bother posting videos?, and go in to detail on why you think GT6 looks better than pc version of cars?

Please save me the excuse of topology, having hills and notable bumps where they should be is by no means approximate, you can say "lazer scanned track" and roll out numbers all day of why a virtual track is close to the real thing but the reality of it is in final production the geometry for the track is shaved down as much as possible to reduce complexity, both to save resources and to prevent it impacting performance, this process removes much of that topological data and smooths out the bumps to a point where youre like "wow they have the same hill!, the same dip too!" but beyond that they rarely match up to the real thing.

that said, this process is labor and cost intensive, it involves renting out a track for a considerable duration while measurements are taken and even when youve pulled said data, you cant just freely use that in a game without seeking and paying for licenesing to use the tracks name.

Someone earlier talked about licensing in relation to the actual topology, well thats just bullshit sorry to say, the licensing is simply for using the name and likeness of a track, and would need to be paid regardless of how accurate your final game track is.

The biggest, and most obvious issue here is that track tolopogy changes, resurfacing sections or simply from frequent use, bumps flatten, dips are born, curvature increases or decreases, ground movement or weather effects elevation, solidity and surface tracktion, none of this data is accounted for in any game, no matter what it looks like or how much money has gone in to it.

to sell me again how topology based on a significantly optimized (smoothed out) then tweaked mesh, is notably better than just building the same course with estimated topology?

First I don't care about lases scan... Forza 5 tracks uses laser scans and they are not accurate enough... some GT5 tracks didn't use laser scan and they are a hell of accurate... I think the laser scan just make easy to create the track.

My points are...

+ Track accurary (topology included)
+ Lighting (reflexions inclusded)
+ How the car suspension handle in the track

These tree are better represented in GT6... is it perfect? Nope. But the lighting for example makes the games feels more real-life than the other game that cleary have better graphics.

pCARs is sharper, better AA, better trees and eviropment overall and looks like a game at all.

And don't get confused by the Nsanity's video... the var interior didn't look like that in GT6.

Kyuu said:
Overall, Project Cars is looking better to me, but who expects a 7 year old PS3 to outperform a new gaming PC?

The OP?