By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL Next Gen systems are going to fail!

Even thought there's still a couple of things that could radically change the market like the Steam Box, Occulous Rift and Sony's VR Tech, people still love playing on consoles I think OP's LTD number prediction are completely wrong..

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Landguy said:

PS4

The PS4 has had clearly the best start and the best gaming powerhouse design of all three systems.  Without much debate, the PS4 will probably outsell the WiiU and XB1 combined in the first 12-18 months.  That is the real problem with the PS4.  Past the intial rush of core gamers looking to upgrade their old PS3/360, the PS4 doesn't do much for the casual crowd.  Also, the whizbang/shock of the graphics power(compared to the last Gen) will wear off quickly, as all 3 systems are truely underpowered at launch and will only get worse.  The initial success(power/price) of the PS4 is it's actual long term failure.  What does the PS4 have that people outside the core gaming community really want?  Nothing YET...  PS4 will sell 50-60 million MAX, probably closer to 50 million.

So 1 month into the next generation, you've already concluded tha Sony will never have any software on their system to appeal to anyone beyond "core gamers"?

I guess this is based on your knowledge that games such as Buzz and SingStar were obviously launch titles on the PS2...

I also think you're way off saying all the systems will fail. It's simply too early to predict what will happen with any of the systems right now. Even the Wii U can be turned around to sell a decent quantity of hardware.

That said I don't think there will be as many consoles sold this generation in total. But that'll be down to less double dipping on systems.

The market is going to shrink because of Nintendo. 70% of the people who played the Wii will not return unless Nintendo or someomne else comes up with a new fad.

Rafux said:
Even thought there's still a couple of things that could radically change the market like the Steam Box, Occulous Rift and Sony's VR Tech, people still love playing on consoles I think OP's LTD number prediction are completely wrong..

Steam box wont change anything. Its a third party box trying to compete with third party boxes that have exclusives. Theres no way Valve themselves is going to deny their competitors the games they make now that they've profited off of them. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The market is going to shrink because of Nintendo. 70% of the people who played the Wii will not return unless Nintendo or someomne else comes up with a new fad.

70% decrease from wii userbase will still mean ~200M units.  Which is what ps2 era had. I think 70% might be too much. We will see. Im thinking if Wii didnt have such high sales then it still would have an increase in total sales for the generation. the wii bloated the increase so i think there will be a drop but i think it can build from ps2 era figures

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rafux said:

Steam box wont change anything. Its a third party box trying to compete with third party boxes that have exclusives. Theres no way Valve themselves is going to deny their competitors the games they make now that they've profited off of them. 

There's still a chance the Steam Box could blow up, Valve is a smart company I still won't count them out.

Around the Network
Rafux said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rafux said:

There's still a chance the Steam Box could blow up, Valve is a smart company I still won't count them out.

Its still forcing the PC agenda upon the common man. Not everyone is up for it. Theres more actual console gamers than hardcore PC gamers in the world for a reason. Generations give people enough to time to recoup their funds and just enjoy buying games. They don't need to put thought into very much because they have too much going on in their lives. Not everyone is a semi-techie. This is what makes techies so special...they aren't the majority. There is a very wide market for people to run to you when they break their computers.

Landguy said:

Without much debate, the PS4 will probably outsell the WiiU and XB1 combined in the first 12-18 months.  

lol no

The WiiU will fail because nobody cares about gimmicks anymore, Nintendo should have just made the gamepad into a tablet that lets you play classic games and new games, then they should have released a console at about the same time as the PS4 and XB1, allowing people to use the tablet on the console if they wished.

PlayStation Network: paddy2k7

I own PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 2 slim, PlayStation 3 60gb, PlayStation 3 slim 1tb, PSP, PS Vita 32gb and PlayStation 4.

Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy/colour, Advance/Sp, Wii.

Nintentacle said:

Landguy said:

Without much debate, the PS4 will probably outsell the WiiU and XB1 combined in the first 12-18 months.  

lol no

No? Why?

the PS4 has almost sold as the XB1and WiiU in the last 7 weeks.  I didn't say the 3 million WiiU's that were sold before the PS4's launch will be covered.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
Nintentacle said:

Landguy said:

lol no

No? Why?

the PS4 has almost sold as the XB1and WiiU in the last 7 weeks.  I didn't say the 3 million WiiU's that were sold before the PS4's launch will be covered.

I disagree too
PS4 is doing great, but XBOX is doind very well too. Despite i being a Nintendo/Sony fan, i think PS4 has the weakest line up in 2014. Granted, people don't seem to be buying those consoles for their games, but for something else (expectation of future games, consumerism, hype).

@OP
That said, there can be more truth in your OP than people are giving you credit for.

It is true that this gen will have new threats like steam machines, PC (in two years they will be really stronger, in 4 it would be a joke to compare) and even mobile gaming (like the new NVIDIA Tegra K1, that make PS360 looks like toys).

So yea, i wouln't say it is impossible to this gen to sell less than the last, even because the Wii was an anomaly. (example: If the Wii U sells 50M, above a lot of expectations, than both PS4 and X1 would need to sell 110M to get even.)