By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Toshiba to drop HD DVD in coming weeks

Coca-Cola said:
I'm one of those who've committed to HD DVD.
Now, I will definitely get a PS3.
Can anyone please tell me when PS3's next SKU is coming out and how much it's going to be? Or should I get the 80G now?

Can't beat em, then join em.

Hope Sony doesn't let me down with PS3. Unlike most of you, I've had terrible history with Sony products. 2 T.Vs, 2 Stereo systems, 1 digital camera, 1 camcorder in last 13 years. They all broke in couple of years.

Now I'm hearing about PS3 problems in this site.

Its all about probability.  You might be the guy who always has problems with Sony (someone's got to, right ) but nonetheless a PS3 has far less chance of failure than a 360 - so assuming you have on of those you can buy a PS3 with impunity... and you'll get to test whether you really are the Sony fall guy...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
shams said:
The only savour for HD-DVD now, is coupling with an existing console. All 360s coming with HD-DVD drive, or Ninty announcing a HD-DVD compatible Wii (that would stir people).

But its very unlikely. It all comes down to money now for Toshiba, and who *really* supports them.

I wonder if the Sony camp will be so happy when MS announce the BluRay drive add-on for the 360? The primary selling point of the PS3 vanishes overnight.

Ha ha. That statement is ridiculous. A 360 with add-on BD drive would cost more than a PS3, and Sony would profit from every drive sold. I think the Sony camp would be very happy if MS announced a BD add-on. I think it's safe to say that they would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I seriously don't think you thought that one through.

A 360 with an internal Blu-Ray drive would be fantastic, it could upppen the common strenghts between the PS3 and 360 technically, mulitplatform games could use up more space and devs could assume good constant streaming rates while designing their games.

Also no more disc scratching issues, less noise production (at least while reading Blu-Ray discs), potential Blu-Ray movie compatibility, less drive wearing for the long run, etc. IMO a big win for consumers!

Speculating against this, the Blu-Ray drive would need to be able to spin DVDs fast enough to load legacy 360 games fast enough (Blu-Ray discs read fast due to each disc circulation loads more data due to a higher density of data on disc, fewer RPM needed), there may be some issues with regard to providing such functionality externally through cables for older models and there's as good as no room left on the 360's OS flashdrive (for movie playback, orders of magnitude smaller than the one inside the PS3 whch is still half empty, must use harddrive or something like that).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Lol Microsoft ... your so pathetic at this point . I remember when they where braging last year that there are more 360 out and how they wouldent want ot be in Sonys place during the console war ... lol MS lol .

PS : why was DmeisterJ banned ?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

About time. Ironic thing is; Toshiba now falls back on manufacturing Cell components for the PS3...
Maybe they'll start producing BluRay components at some point as well.

Around the Network

(twirls finger in air) I will stick with DVDs until they stop making them. Movies on my 37" 720p LCD played using an upconvert DVD player look just fine thank you very much.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

I thought they'd be trying to keep hd-dvd going as a data storage format. They've got the format running, it's cheaper to produce than blu-ray... surely there's plenty of room for a technology like this, even if the home viewing market has been lost.

I wonder if this means all the next generation consoles will go blu-ray.

Microsoft would be pretty keen to go with d/ls, but surely the technology and infrastructure's not there yet.

If this turns out to be true, then hats off to Toshiba for taking the smart route out of this situation! There is no need for them to keep losing money (pouring it into a bottomless hole more like) when this 'war' will never be turned around now.

I hope there is an official statement soon :D

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9873029-7.html

Looks like Walmart are dropping HD DVD aswell. 

Walmart, ouch! That's a very big stab at HD DVD in the US.