By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and ONE. The wisdom of 33 countries versus 13.

Tagged games:

Which was wisest?

13 101 18.53%

33 305 55.96%

Somethign else 36 6.61%

See results 103 18.90%

Total:545
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

still missing the point.  keep trying.

I'm on point... you just don't like that.

If Sony outsell MS in all 13 countries then Sony was wisest... it is pretty clear.

Do you accept it as a possibility that someone unable to find a ps4 in say the US or UK may buy a One instead?  is that a possibilty... a simple yes or no?

This is true and I know several people who have  bought X1s because PS4s were harder to find.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I agree with you. At first it seemed okay to launch in 33 countries, but seeing that supply doesn't cover the demand in the US I feel like Sony made a mistake.

Is this just another Kow vs Etho thread then, i gave a good response straight away which i assume everyone must agree with as no one has tried to counter it.

Can these 2 users get there own hidden forum so they can just fight in private.

Those countries in which the Xbox One has no known release date and in which PS4's are being sold pretty much gives Sony 100% Market share over MS in those regions. Sony is selling consoles in a marketplace with virtually no competition. And before mentioning the Wii U, it is not often that people will debate upon whether they should get a Wii U, or PS4/XONE. PS4/XONE has a different set of Multiplatform games from the Wii U, much like the Wii compared to the PS3/360.

True... but this also means that they are first to the market so they will always have a headstart

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

kowenicki said:

Its funny because I think he sees this as an attack on sony... whereas its the opposite.  If they had more stock for the PS4 in the USA then they would perhaps be driving home a significant advatnage of current high demand, that higher demand isnt guaranteed to stay and may change as games emerge and time lapses.  They should have grasped the opportunity is all i am saying.  To deny the logic of this is bewildering to me.

I didn't think you are attacking Sony lol

I just give my opinon.

Since I have friends in countries that are not part of the chosen 13, 33 is better.
Starting word of mouth early keeps interest high.

This is a pros and cons thing...

If you are strong only in certain markets like MS is then 13 countries makes sense because you can supply the markets well and just admit you don't have strength in the others...

But, if you are solid in many markets like Sony is, it makes sense to go to 33 countries because you want to retain your market strength.

I think both companies are doing the right thing. If MS would've went to 33 countries at launch, someone would go to the weaker countries and take pictures of X1's sitting on shelves and not being sold... If Sony would've went to only 13 countries a lot of the good selling smaller countries' consumers would be saying, "why are they leaving us out of the next-gen".

kowenicki said:
Xenostar said:
Is this just another Kow vs Etho thread then, i gave a good response straight away which i assume everyone must agree with as no one has tried to counter it.

Can these 2 users get there own hidden forum so they can just fight in private.

Its funny because I think he sees this as an attack on sony... whereas its the opposite.  If they had more stock for the PS4 in the USA then they would perhaps be driving home a significant advatnage of current high demand, that higher demand isnt guaranteed to stay and may change as games emerge and time lapses.  They should have grasped the opportunity is all i am saying.  To deny the logic of this is bewildering to me.

But i believe if MS could of had the same shipment as Sony ( an extra 500k ), then they would of stuck to their original plan a similar one to Sony and not of reduced down to 13 countries so close to launch.

Clearly Sony have been short stocked BF week and if they carry on to be in the weeks running up to xmas, then yeah it probably would of been better to put more stock in US than easier to win EU countries. But this thread is a little premature, stock could be massive for PS4 in US from now till xmas, Walmart has stated there getting there biggest shipment so far this weekend. 

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
your argument would have a lot more merit if xbone was actually outselling ps4 in US/UK LTD. as it stands ps4 is outselling xbone in all markets both have released in except australia i believe AND obviously wining the 20 markets that xbone isn't released in too.

an extra 20k this holiday to US won't, imo, change much for how things play out in the US. that number is, frankly, too small relative to US sales volume. but 20k to denmark or poland basically secures that market for sony. MS will be so far behind it will be hard to compete because, imo, the best distinguisher of a console is the answer to "which console do all my friends have?".

so the real answer is,.. sony should have manufactured more. :P

20k was an example.  it could be 200k or 400k by January.

those smaller, sometimes poorer, markets you speak of are already secured for Sony... thats not going to change.

see the bolded in my post to ethomaz above.  I am struggling to see why people cant see that this is a very simple point I am making.  A potential sale lost to a competitor due to supply.  Thats possible and likely in these circumstances.  We had an example (two actually) the other day of a poster here saying exactly that... a know sony fan at that.

It all becomes completely irrelevant as the Xbox is completely sold out, so when people can't find a ps4 they can't find an Xbox either.