By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and ONE. The wisdom of 33 countries versus 13.

Tagged games:

Which was wisest?

13 101 18.53%

33 305 55.96%

Somethign else 36 6.61%

See results 103 18.90%

Total:545

I think it may have been a mistake to reduce to 13 countries on laugh (after originally promising more) as now the buyers in those countries will feel more resentment towards MS than if it just hadn't been announced in the first place.

The strategies seem to me to basically be, Microsoft is shoring up it's markets it already has, at the expense of having a better chance of success in new markets where the PS3 dominated. This could be a very wise move as they want to lose as little market share as possible in the US and UK which would likely happen if they spread their launch too thinly.

Sony on the other hand are trying the different approach of winning as many countries early on as possible. It's certainly a more global strategy, but PlayStation is also a much more global brand. I think Sony are competing with Nintendo and Microsoft in a global market. But Microsoft are only really competing with Sony.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

guys wallmart getting a shipment doesn't mean the whole US gets more units, its just that wallmart gets the units this time

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I see your point but explain the UK situation then. MS is feeding the US but the UK should be just as important.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
kirby007 said:
guys wallmart getting a shipment doesn't mean the whole US gets more units, its just that wallmart gets the units this time

It also doesnt mean only walmart are getting a shipment this time. 

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
your argument would have a lot more merit if xbone was actually outselling ps4 in US/UK LTD. as it stands ps4 is outselling xbone in all markets both have released in except australia i believe AND obviously wining the 20 markets that xbone isn't released in too.

an extra 20k this holiday to US won't, imo, change much for how things play out in the US. that number is, frankly, too small relative to US sales volume. but 20k to denmark or poland basically secures that market for sony. MS will be so far behind it will be hard to compete because, imo, the best distinguisher of a console is the answer to "which console do all my friends have?".

so the real answer is,.. sony should have manufactured more. :P

20k was an example.  it could be 200k or 400k by January.

those smaller, sometimes poorer, markets you speak of are already secured for Sony... thats not going to change.

see the bolded in my post to ethomaz above.  I am struggling to see why people cant see that this is a very simple point I am making.  A potential sale lost to a competitor due to supply.  Thats possible and likely in these circumstances.  We had an example (two actually) the other day of a poster here saying exactly that... a know sony fan at that.

It all becomes completely irrelevant as the Xbox is completely sold out, so when people can't find a ps4 they can't find an Xbox either.

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
kirby007 said:

correct, it just seems that people expect sony to poof consoles just out of thin air, if you catch my drift. walmart shipment getting used as an argument"amg more units" which is nonsense it just means we know where they will be allocated nothing more, nothing less

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I agree with general premise that a console sold in the usa is more valuable than a console sold in emerging markets. But ill also say that sony is using its global reach very well and while a console sold in brazil isnt as important as a console sold in north america, for sony it is more important than ms.

kirby007 said:
Xenostar said:
kirby007 said:

correct, it just seems that people expect sony to poof consoles just out of thin air, if you catch my drift. walmart shipment getting used as an argument"amg more units" which is nonsense it just means we know where they will be allocated nothing more, nothing less

not necesarilly stock from thin air there was bound to be a dip in US stock the week alot of stock was going to EU for launch, it might even out now. 

Sure you have a point, but it's also true that people buy what their friends buy.
This was a major selling point of 360 as well. People weren't buying ps3's because their friends all had xboxes, so they bought xboxes.
Their friends had xboxes because xbox released almost a full year earlier.
Now, in this gen, xbox is looking at almost a year delay in countries other than the 13. To me it looks like Sony is trying to cement every country that isn't USA or Brazil.
So yeah, having enough stock is important, but it's also important to get that head-start.
Hard to say which one is more important.

Exile1987 said:

It all becomes completely irrelevant as the Xbox is completely sold out, so when people can't find a ps4 they can't find an Xbox either.

Except that Amazon.com and BestBuy.com are now both showing limited quantities of XBox One's, but there is still no stock available for PS4s.

http://www.zoolert.com/videoconsoles/xbox-one-console/trackers/

http://www.zoolert.com/videoconsoles/playstation-4/trackers/