By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Deliberate or delusional?

What is going on in Iwata's mind?

Genius who shouldn't be questioned 114 32.29%

Finger has slipped off the pulse 79 22.38%

Straight up sabotage 44 12.46%

Still trying to figure it out 115 32.58%

Total:352

Theres nothing wrong with Iwata, except greed when it comes to digital goods pricing.

The Wii U made complete sense in paper, it still does. Theres a tablet craze, so why not dive into it and include a small one with your console to make new things? It just ended up having the wrong implementation.
The 3DS is a sucess so theres nothing to say there except, again, initial greed.

I do see one more problem, wich is questionable if its a problem or on purpose. Nintendo didnt bow down to the western developers whims. This ended up with poor western 3rd party support on the system. On the other hand, it prevents them from having even more influence over the manufacturers.
The question is, even if they had, would it have made a difference? 3rd parties never find their footing on Nintendo consoles cause the 1st party software has such high quality. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

Around the Network
anonymunchy said:
The importance of these awards is vastly overblown on this site.
Iwata is fine, mistake were made, corrections are being made, things take time, it's a multi-billion dollar company not a high school project.

A billion-dollar company on a competitive and contantly challenge market...... 

...both are followed by a dumb and childish press.

I do believe that, while companies make mistakes, those hordes of morons who think they´re journalists , editing videogames magazines and websites, ALWAYS screw everything up. In any given moment, nobody at Nintendo hinted a new game. The best we had was just a hint on an announcement, and this doesn´t mean much.

Then all those boneheads spread the information that Nintendo will bring a new game... what the heck? where did this come from ?

The same goes for those dumb Black Friday sales predictions.... seriously.

maybe the videogame press is in part responsible for the slow shrinking of the market.

Secretly working for Sega, this is cold, calculated, patient revenge.

Frequency said:
Secretly working for Sega, this is cold, calculated, patient revenge.

SEGA could only wished they had such good CEO's. They made much worse decisions. They basically destroyed themselves.

tablets suck in gaming for me, 3ds and wii u is really fun to me.

I have no prob with nintendo prices for eshop games.

Anyway i believe in Iwata.

Besides if Sega has to hate someone it has to be Sony, they both competed more directly wiht arcade style games, before Sony turned into copying pc gaming together with Microsoft.

Around the Network

Out of touch and dictated by tradition, in my opinion. If I had to choose between the two in the thread title, I'd most certainly lean against the latter, unless his master plan all along was doing as bad as you possibly could for an extended period of time.

I don't think we can blame Iwata alone though, all companies have boards and a team based management, it's not like he can do whatever he wants.

Nintendo totally crushed Sony the handheld market, saying Iwata is delusional is like saying David lacked courage when he fought Goliath.

Videokameras said:

Nintendo totally crushed Sony the handheld market, saying Iwata is delusional is like saying David lacked courage when he fought Goliath.

Totally crushed? in the DS/PSP era one in three handhelds sold was a PSP, with Sonys first attempt at a handheld (nintendo having, at that point, the GB, GBC, GBP, GBM, GBA, GBASP, GBAM, with that in consideration and going up against nintendo with their track record of portable titles, getting a 33% market share for handhelds was far from being crushed.

As for the Vita and 3DS, the 3ds is obviously going to finish ahead but how far ahead remains to be seen at this point, when the original wii left the ps3 and xbox 360 for dust, people said it had destroyed them sales wise, yet both the ps3 and xbox 360 are closing in on the 100m with decently strong sales globally, where as the wii virtually died 3 years ago.

Another point you seem to miss is that the success of the 3DS is coming at the cost of a failing home console, portable and console versions of the same game give 3ds owners no reason to buy in, and with better game support and cheaper hardware, the 3ds has become the go-to place for nintendo games, making its home console redundant.

Your david and goliath reference then is backwards, nintendo in the handheld market would be the goliath, and the psp/vita, david.

the psvita is failing more than the Wii u, if the psvita will be good how much more will the wii u be good?

You can hate Nintendo all you want, but Iwata is doing a great job. Everyone can be big the crony way like Microsoft or Sony, Nintendo are the true fighters.

Videokameras said:

tablets suck in gaming for me, 3ds and wii u is really fun to me.

I have no prob with nintendo prices for eshop games.

Anyway i believe in Iwata.

Besides if Sega has to hate someone it has to be Sony, they both competed more directly wiht arcade style games, before Sony turned into copying pc gaming together with Microsoft.

What on earth are you muttering about? Most of Sega's arcade boards were based on PC architecture after the Model 2 cabinets. And it's especially ironic you say this considering Sega played a huge spearhead in "copying PC gaming" by developing the first console MMORPG in PSO.

But hey, I guess two wrongs make a right after all..