By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The VGX was the most ridiculous thing I have seen in years.

VGX 2013?

The VGX was stupid! 300 95.24%

The VGX was awesome! 13 4.13%

Total:313

The first time I watched the VGA's was is 2010. I never really thought about this award show that much but for some reason that year they hyped it up a lot and in some cases it delivered. It had a bunch of new trailers and gave awards out and at the end of it, I felt like it was nice for what it was.

2011 comes along and this should have been the first sign to just stop watching them now. Once I even heard the word "teabagging" should have been the last straw, but I gave them the benefit of doubt then since it only happened once. Once I saw that giant CG dragon that they made and then saw that all they did for Zelda was make the shield I was like "ok, I know how these awards are going to play out now." I didn't like the music act, but that was only one as well. It was an ok show that was not as good as 2010, but still, I felt it was not a waste of time. Even though it hit me that these judges will spread the awards out to as many studios as they can and if the publisher gives them a special VGA themed cutscene, it will definitely be put in the show, no matter how stupid it is, and Nintendo will never win anything but best Wii/ handheld game, I felt it was not wasted time.

2012 comes along and for some stupid reason the hype this year for the VGA's went off the chartz with speculation. It took me three years, but this was the year I am dumbfounded at not only myself but at the unbelievably stupid way that this was presented. I see only 2 trailers for unannounced games and they have the gall to let Konami and Kojima pull this marketing stunt that lets them say its a "new ip from a new studio" while watching the same trailer half the people who even heard of Metal Gear Solid were already saying how Kojima-like the trailer was. I hate that PR and marketing crap. After that it seemed like all of the awards, even though I never cared who really one them since in the past many of them seemed to deserve it in one way or another, seemed like they were picked by people who never played videogames at all. They gave everything to The Walking Dead, a game nowhere as good compared to SBCG4AP. The only RPG in the best RPG category was Xenoblade and that lost to Mass Effect 3, a game that had not been a RPG since ME1. Mario U beat Xenoblade, even diehard Mario fans would tell those judges that Xenoblade is a blatantly better game. Sound Shapes as best handheld game??? Then the stupid padding hit this year the most that it felt like overkill. Even though The Walking dead was on Xbox, PS3, and PC it only counts as a downloadable game so other, bigger, shinier games get an award too. I could not believe I watched this year's show I couldn't believe it turned out to be a bigger waste of not only my time, but of time I thought that was going to help a medium be taken more seriously. I know that the award looked stupid, but man I never thought the show would be even more.

This year I blame myself. I see that they have changed a letter and hear that they are doing a massive overhaul to the show. This was by far the worst year ever (excluding Joel Mchale,Reggie, Tim Schafer, Matt, and Trey.) They wanted to make this like a new E3, except they forgot the game announcements. I watched two stupid 60 second trailers from Telltale and after each one they basically said that "Yes we are teaming up and making this game on the expanded universe" for 10 minutes straight. Whoever thought that pairing Geoff and Joel was a smart idea needs to fired because I have never seen either of them be co-hosts and it didn't seem to work especially for Geoff. Geoff loses his credibility when when he attacks Reggie when he shows off Cranky Kong and while I this is still a small announcement for people and would be a little bigger if it wasn't leaked by the boxart, it was still what they intended to show to them and then Geoff explicitly goes out of his way to pester Reggie (and this only happened to Reggie) on giving him something more. Instead of any new Quantum Break footage, Remedy shows off a stupid iOS game of all things. The Youtuber's should not be in this (and I love that yearly Mega64 sketch.) The Documentary should not be in this. The amount of music should not be in this. The Loiter Squad should not have even been considered to be put on this, there is a reason they are on Adult Swim. Why the heck were you shoving people and making them run to the front of the camera when they accepted an award. Why the heck weren't there commercial breaks so you could cut out stupid and awkward padding. Why the heck did you not get anything from those publishers that you brown-nosed in all the previous years. The only new unannounced game that came to show anything was No Man's Sky and that was barely anything at all. I can't believe that I fell for this stupid hoax. I watch The Soup every week and I know Joel was great when he did Ubisoft's E3 conferences, but even that was crap when it turned out he had to co-host with Geoff. The light is gone and there is no chance that it will ever burn again. The hope I had for these awards and this show are gone and I don't see any way that they can recover from this abortion of a miscarriage. I only hope one day whoever runs these awards figures out that even though that this is a multi-billion dollar industry, dignity is earned by respect, and frankly, this show has lost all of mine.

/rant

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Around the Network

Haven't watched since the first one, so there should be a poll option of, "I didn't waste my time on this." It sounds like it was terrible though, but all awards shows are terrible in my opinion.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

I have never watched this "awards" show. Based on what I've read, I can only suggest that everyone else follow my lead.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

waste of time.. bad moves all over.

NintendoPie said:
think-man said:
It was a joke. Looked tacky and was a bore...why did they change the name?

Because adding an 'x' to anything makes it seem cooler. Of course.

You mean like MS did with the Xbox?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
Haven't watched since the first one, so there should be a poll option of, "I didn't waste my time on this." It sounds like it was terrible though, but all awards shows are terrible in my opinion.

The Oscars are still pretty good most of the time except two years when James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosted it.  Seth MacFarlan killed as a host this year unfortunately he pissed off to many people so he will probably never host it again and last year it was Billy Crystal the best Oscar host of all times.

Terrible announcement, worst vga in years.

Chris Hu said:
adriane23 said:

The Oscars are still pretty good most of the time except two years when James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosted it.  Seth MacFarlan killed as a host this year unfortunately he pissed off to many people so he will probably never host it again and last year it was Billy Crystal the best Oscar host of all times.

Ellen again will be amazing. She was super good last time and she's even more popular nowadays thanks to her huge popularity on social media websites.

She did a decent job the last time she hosted in 2007.  It would have been interesting to see how Eddie Murphy would have done as a host but I doubt he would have been better then Billy Crystal who replaced him.  My guess is he probably didn't really wanted to host it in the first place the controversy that caused him to decline hosting duties wasn't really that big of a deal. 

bigjon said:
NintendoPie said:
think-man said:
It was a joke. Looked tacky and was a bore...why did they change the name?

Because adding an 'x' to anything makes it seem cooler. Of course.

You mean like MS did with the Xbox?

Xbox derives from Direct-X.

But yes this award show sucked. Badd.