By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry vs SM3DWorld. Those framerate drops...

I watched a Youtube gameplay of it for a half hour yesterday. Definitely a well done game.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
drake4 said:
curl-6 said:

If that's true, I whole-heartedly agree, but surely any other level would do a better job of showing it off?

yup the galaxy games just have better art and look much sharper, mario design also looks better, more detailed.

"Sharper" isn't really a fair point to make here as those emulator shots are 1080p compared to 720p for 3D World. The actual Galaxy games are 480p.

curl-6 said:
drake4 said:
d21lewis said:
anybody criticising 3D world for its graphics is the same kind of person who'd criticize toy story 3 for not looking realistic. it's still a marvel to behold. what more did you want it to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPiWaWDaFxs mario galaxy 2 at 1080p actually looks better to me, the game should haven been 1080p considering the wiiu is a millions time more powerful then wii, it really doesn't look like a huge jump graphically.

On a technical level, 3D World's textures, lighting, and effects are all much more advanced than the Galaxy games. (Though artistically Galaxy 1's celestial backdrops were more epic to me)

I agree much more advanced, but it should have been 1080p, looking at galaxy 2 running at 1080p with MSAA, i honestly think it looks better then 3dland, every pic posted of 3D world has a huge amount of blur in it, which is way over done.

drake4 said:
curl-6 said:
drake4 said:
d21lewis said:
anybody criticising 3D world for its graphics is the same kind of person who'd criticize toy story 3 for not looking realistic. it's still a marvel to behold. what more did you want it to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPiWaWDaFxs mario galaxy 2 at 1080p actually looks better to me, the game should haven been 1080p considering the wiiu is a millions time more powerful then wii, it really doesn't look like a huge jump graphically.

On a technical level, 3D World's textures, lighting, and effects are all much more advanced than the Galaxy games. (Though artistically Galaxy 1's celestial backdrops were more epic to me)

I agree much more advanced, but it should have been 1080p, looking at galaxy 2 running at 1080p with MSAA, i honestly think it looks better then 3dland, every pic posted of 3D world has a huge amount of blur in it, which is way over done.

What blur? You mean the depth of field filter applied to the distant background?

curl-6 said:
drake4 said:
curl-6 said:
drake4 said:
d21lewis said:

What blur? You mean the depth of field filter applied to the distant background?

Yes way over done look at it here. that the way its looks in amost every pic the backround is covered by DOF and bloom. 

Around the Network
drake4 said:
curl-6 said:

Yes way over done look at it here. that the way its looks in amost every pic the backround is covered by DOF and bloom. 

Galaxy had some DOF as well, it was just used much less because the system was less powerful.

I personally had no problem with its use in 3D World because it was quite effective at suppressing aliasing on distance geometry. Take this scene for example:

curl-6 said:
drake4 said:
curl-6 said:

Galaxy had some DOF as well, it was just used much less because the system was less powerful.

I personally had no problem with its use in 3D World because it was quite effective at suppressing aliasing on distance geometry. Take this scene for example:

It would have been Nice to have something like this, now imagine this was covered by DOF and everything was blurry, it's just not used properly.

drake4 said:
curl-6 said:

It would have been Nice to have something like this, now imagine this was covered by DOF and everything was blurry, it's just not used properly.

That shot is drenched in bloom.

Anyway, the DOF in 3D World never blurred the area where the player was, so I was fine with it. Better than jaggies in the background, to me anyway.

you people complaining about 3d worlds graphics obviously have not played it.
So just please stop. You have no idea what you are talking about.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
kupomogli said:
Euphoria14 said:

Those framerate drops are nowhere to be seen, all while running at a super smooth 60fps.

A game that could easily run on the Wii aside from being in HD, I sure hope it could run at 60fps. 

Here's an image of Super Mario Galaxy upscaled to 720p on the Dolphin Emulator.  If comparing to the Wii and not an upscaled image, resolution aside, Super Mario Galaxy looks a whole hell of a lot better than Super Mario 3D World. 

uh, not even close my man.