By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is no one complaining about paying for PSN?

NobleTeam360 said:
This is the top excuse I hear:
"I don't mind paying for PSN because I get so much value out of it"
Even though just a year ago you would see a bunch of people crying about MS charging for XBL.

Just stop. It's the "top excuse" because it's true. What does XBL give you other than the ability to play online multiplayer? Nothing

What does PS+ give you other than the ability to play online multiplayer? Free games, instant game collection, discounts on PSN content, auto-updates, cloud storage, and more

It does suck that I now have to pay to play online, since there's no alternative (WiiU isn't gonna have KZ, GTA, GT, etc). But if I have to pay (a cheaper premium, btw), at least it doesn't feel like I'm "paying to play a game I already paid for" like XBL does. With PS+, you truely do "get so much value out of it". If that isn't true, then tell me why MS started the Games with Gold promotion? Let me answer that for you: because people said the PS+ offers value for your dollar and XBL doesn't.

Everyone complained about PS+ being mandatory for MP, when it was revealed at E3. But if I'm gonna get free games (that don't suck or are extremely old. Assassin's Creed 2? A World of Keflings? wtf, Games with Gold?), some of which I was gonna pay $60 for anyway, then I can't complain. Hell, even some games that I would say "I'll wait til it's a bargain bin item" I could just get on the spot without thinking twice about it.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
bigd615 said:

Microsoft took a lot of crap about it because it was a brand new idea. People didn't have to pay for online before the 360. Eventually most people got over it, however.

I paid to use Seganet back when the Dreamcast was practically inventing online console games and then I paid for XBL when it came out on the original Xbox. People didn't mind paying for XBL on the 360 because back then, it was so superior that it was worth it.

Oops I meant Xbox not just 360. And I had no clue about having to pay for Dreamcast. I was too young. However, online wasn't nearly as popular then so most people didn't even have it. Heck, I could barely even play flash games online until later. So not a brand new idea, but new to the majority.

Can people stop referring to them as free games? It's like going to a buffet and talking about how amazing all this free food is*

*Food which you didn't want to buy when you had the chance to anyway.

Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:

It is getting better though.

What Xbox Live Gold haters should understand is that every service needs time. Certainly they have thrown some trash to the gamers, but I can only think the games will keep getting better and better. PS+ needed almost a year to be where it stands now.

XBL has been around for 12 years. So, I don't get what you're saying here....

Purple said:
Can people stop referring to them as free games? It's like going to a buffet and talking about how amazing all this free food is*

*Food which you didn't want to buy when you had the chance to anyway.

They're free in comparison to the competition.

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:
Well, back in the day a lot on here said they would never pay for online.

But credit where credits due, PSN has improved over the years.

3 or 4 years ago it wasn't worth paying for (and to be honest, if i want a game, i buy it day one or not long after release, so ps+'s free "we'll decide when you play this game or not" games don't man squat to me)

Now a day's take away the "free rented games" that i don't care about, and as a service, i still think Live is top dog, but the justification to pay for PSN is now just about valid.

You can't do that. That is a merit of the servive which warrants subscribing to it. If you can say that, then I can say "take away the online MP for XBL and PSN is top dog". I'd say something else for comparison sake, but online MP is literally all the XBL offers.

And I really doubt you don't care about the games. On a list that includes games like LBP2, Super Street Fighter IV, Borderlands 2, inFamous 2, Batman: Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs, UC3, XCOM, BF3, Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3, and many, many more games, that all come out within a year after the game initially released (no releasing a 7 year old game in a monthly update), I doubt you just "don't care" about them, considering these are all big games. And if you download and play just 1 or 2 of those games over the course of one year, PS+, then, has already paid for itself, and you still have ALL the other games to choose from. If you put it in that perspective, you don't really pay to play online. Technically, yes you have, but in practice, no you haven't

BMaker11 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
This is the top excuse I hear:
"I don't mind paying for PSN because I get so much value out of it"
Even though just a year ago you would see a bunch of people crying about MS charging for XBL.

Just stop. It's the "top excuse" because it's true. What does XBL give you other than the ability to play online multiplayer? Nothing

What does PS+ give you other than the ability to play online multiplayer? Free games, instant game collection, discounts on PSN content, auto-updates, cloud storage, and more

It does suck that I now have to pay to play online, since there's no alternative (WiiU isn't gonna have KZ, GTA, GT, etc). But if I have to pay (a cheaper premium, btw), at least it doesn't feel like I'm "paying to play a game I already paid for" like XBL does. With PS+, you truely do "get so much value out of it". If that isn't true, then tell me why MS started the Games with Gold promotion? Let me answer that for you: because people said the PS+ offers value for your dollar and XBL doesn't.

Everyone complained about PS+ being mandatory for MP, when it was revealed at E3. But if I'm gonna get free games (that don't suck or are extremely old. Assassin's Creed 2? A World of Keflings? wtf, Games with Gold?), some of which I was gonna pay $60 for anyway, then I can't complain. Hell, even some games that I would say "I'll wait til it's a bargain bin item" I could just get on the spot without thinking twice about it.

Ok? I never said PS+ wasn't a good value. 

No one is complaining because they're hypocrites!!! ;)

Or maybe, it's just not a big deal....

Well, probably the free games. It's a massive deal that none of the competitors answered yet (please, no Games With Gold. MS is giving only old games and cheaper indie titles. They need an adequate answer).

i pay for games. why complain?