By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is X1 forcing Kinect on us any different than PS3 forcing Bluray on us?

???

Yea! 301 40.13%

Nay! 447 59.60%

Total:748

not sure if it was pointed out, but I really love how durable blue ray disks are in comparison to DVD's regardless of their capacity advantages I've never bought a pre owned ps3 game that had issues but I've had 2-3 xbox360 games gotten 2nd hand which needed to go back due to lil scratches on the disk.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
yvanjean said:
No, Microsoft wants Kinect 2.0 to be a standard for all Xbox One games, beside it's vital to some of the console key feature such as Skype and the new interface. Beside Kinect is Microsoft solution for attracting the casual gamers.

Kinect 2.0 is integral to the design of the Xbox One, Just like the gamepad is to the WiiU.

No it isn't. I've used it. The Xbox One works just fine without it. If you want it, it's good as a secondary option. Theres nothing about the Kinect 2.0 to me or even my friends who boasted about it to me after using it that screams essential unless the user needs it. Theres been many times where we've unplugged it and reviewers have even admitted to unplugging theirs as well.

Kinect 2.0 handle all the Xbox One's video capturing, voice command input and motion control detection. All of which are to be fully supported by the Xbox One. 

You can choose not to use the Kinect but you'd be missing out one of the features that differentiate your console from the competition. The Xbox one interface is still in its infancy and will fastly improve over time, most reviewer have claim that while not perfect voice-command navigation is here to stay. X1 vision is a console that merge entertainment, apps and gaming. In order to achieved this it need the Kinect.

I know what the features are like. Point of this thread was whether it was forced on us. Technically it was. Blu Ray has become an essential format in the livingroom worldwide. Microsoft knows that the casual fad is over, which is why they must force the next iteration into the Xbox One. If it doesnt sell extremely well it was a lost cause. Bundling it is easier than giving people a choice. I can see through bullshit and was waiting for them to admit that Kinect is not essential to the Xbox One working like they said before E3. Eventually they admitted it. I am still calling bullshit on its relevance to gaming. If people like it for multimedia thats a whole other story.

I've played Kinect with Ryse in particular and theres nothing you cannot say with Kinect that you cannot just input with LB faster after the prompt.

Whaaaaat? Not sure if serious. There are several examples of games becoming better thanks to blu-ray. Didn't FF have better graphics on ps3 than xb360 (at least the cutscenes)? Also, didn't Hojima say that they wanted to release Metal Gear solid 4 on xb360, but couldn't because it didn't have blu-ray? I'm sure there are several more examples.

Blu-ray was also a format that was insanely expensive, so Sony was giving their customers a chance to own the cheapest blu-ray player available when ps3 released. It wasn't something that everyone wanted, but definitely a huge number of people. Same with ps2 and its success. It'd be equally ridiculous to compare the wii fit balance board with a dvd/blu-ray player.

Then you have Kinect, an accessory. It like comparing the fitness board of wii with ps2 playing dvd's.

I can understand the reasoning but no, I don't think so. Blu-Ray is a medium to deliver the game to us which would benefit the industry in the long run while Kinect is a controller, while it might benefit the industry in the long run too, not in the same way or even, not even as needed. CD and DVD were the same.

Hmm, pie.

Yes is the same. Forcing like Bluray ps3

Around the Network

If PS3 games benefited in any way from Bluray then I would say no, it's not the same thing. However, over the course of the generation it was proven BR was pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, other than making Sony monies I guess. As a gamer, is my experience really changed without BluRay? No. While I might have to do the oh so dreaded disc swap, I would bet I still spend way less time swapping discs than I do sitting there waiting for mandatory installs to install/delete to make up for the slow BR drive in the console.

So yeah it's the same thing. And just like you have some people saying there are benefits to Bluray, there are plenty who actually like the inclusion of Kinect.

Mr Puggsly said:

Thanks for the history lesson. I understand why they used Bluray and their big motivation was profits.

Bluray didn't do much if anything to actually improve the game experience and consumers had to shell a lot more money to have it. Something they may have not wanted or asked for.

You say Kinect is a dumb device nobody wants, yet motion technology like Kinect is growing. Not only did the original Kinect sell 20+ million units, Apple appears to be going the same direction now that they own PrimeSense.

Motion technology is growing... but to the contrary, physical movie sales are dwindling. DWINDLING!

I would argue that BluRay did improve the game experience, simply by not having multiple discs was an improvement for me. Probably not a deciding factor in whether I would buy a console with it over one without. But for me personnaly it was a huge plus to buy a PS3 over an XB360 at the time I did as I wanted to watch a higher definition movie's (and once I went from DVD to BluRay, my DVD collection was shown the door). Also back when I brought my PS3, streaming wasnt as easy an option as it is now.

It could be argued that it was pushed by Sony before its time, before the price to do so was affordable to most. But DVD's had become archaic as much as CD had before them (which pre-DVD were the standard media).

But there are alot of people who want to watch movie (its why its a multi-billion dollar industry, even before BluRay) and want to do so whilst getting the best experience. An experience they are always looking to improve on even today, with the slow emergence of 4k TV's. It could be said there was many people who simply werent interested in the BluRay player when the PS3 released and would have even preffered it not being on the console at all if it meant the console would be cheaper to buy than it was. But I also know quite a few people (one is sleeping in the room next door to me know) who brought the PS3 primarily because it had BluRay playback.

BluRay have since gone on to become popular (not as popular as DVD's back in the day, but thats partly down to things like Netflix, which is more affordable and now alot more accesible to many people compared to what it was) and if it wasnt necessary now, theres not a chance that Microsoft would put one in there new console unless they thought it was (will we be able to say the same about Motion tech in the future?). But now they havent got much choice, DVD's are not really an option anymore due to there limited capacit. Games like Killzone would need about 8 DVD's to store all the info. Also MS seem to want to push the XBox One as a media centre, and doing so without the ability to play whats now a common physical media, for many people where things like Netflix isnt an option.

Dont forget that when PS3 launched Netflix and such streaming sites were not that common, I watch alot of movies and programs and am quite upto date on those things and I didnt get Netflix until 24 months ago.

A better argument would be in 7 more years time, and if all consoles have a Kinect come part and parcel, we could look back and say 'yeah, Microsoft were right to push that' I dont see that happening though as it doesnt really bring anything needed as well as desired, BluRay on the other hand did bring something needed. Even if it wasnt needed back when they pushed, its needed now even if not that many desired it.

My own question would be, did Miscroft feel they needed to put in a BluRay player, or that there hand was forced because it had become the biggest capacity for delivering media. They could have made there own media (like Nintendo and Sega did in the past) but pushing XOne as a media centre for the living room when so many watch media on BluRay would have made that push harder.

Think I started to stray abit on the subject there :P

But to follow on from your last sentence. 

Media sales are dwindling, and thats due to streaming, downloading (illegally or otherwise) become such a common practise by todays standards, but neither was back when BluRay's first released. Though movie sales are dwindling game sales not so much, and to deliver the games we expect now on a physical media, there isnt really an option now other than to use BluRays. As for motion sensor's technology growing, I dunno maybe it is maybe it isnt, but I really didnt want a kinect (even though now I have one) and would wish they push that technology when the tech catches up with there intent on use. Plus if motion sensors were becoming more popular then they wouldnt have needed to force in with the XBox One, as people would just go and buy one seperate. The argument that they wanted to make it standard so that dev's who make games can make use of it knowing people have one, that doesnt wash for me. If enough people wanted it enough would buy, if enough people buy it the dev's would develope for it.... like they do with anything that sells.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

whatever said:
The PS3 was the cheapest blu-ray player for at least it's first year. It's actually the reason I bought one.

Blu-ray was coming, regardless of the PS3. The same doesn't apply for Kinect.

Voice based controls and motion based gestures to get through applications and such is comiing just like blue ray did. 

you need a higher capacity drive that DVD. DVD was not full HD capable. so no its nothing like kinect.

The same thing for me.

Forcing gamers to buy something they didn't ask for.