By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do You Think First Person Shooter & Zombies Games Becoming Oversaturated Or Overdone Nowaday ?

Tagged games:

Which Genre You Think Is Being Overdone ?

MOBA 11 21.57%

MMORPG 2 3.92%

First Person Shooter 26 50.98%

Zombie Games 6 11.76%

Third Person Shooter 1 1.96%

Text Based Adeventure 2 3.92%

RPG 1 1.96%

Total:49
Kawaiix33 said:
TheEspionage said:
Sounds like you just like a different genre of games than that. Possibly 3D platformers are your style from what it sounds like.

Also there are far more RPG's that are released than zombie games. Typically Jrpg games.

I wouldn't say any genre is overdone. I would say that there are good and bad games in every genre.

Nah i like RPG games more than 3D platform but still i would play old 3D platform games from times to times ( not knack though cause that game for me is kinda meh ). 

At least RPG games is much more fun to play and have way more replaybility than zombie games unless that games have way too much grinding level then i wouldn't even bother to play it.

Nah i don't think so. Gamers would buy anything that is zombie game and FPS game regardless how bad the game is and how bad the review were given. They just like to mindlessly shoot people and killing zombie cause it seem more enjoyable when compare to RPG games,text based adventure,puzzle game.

This is all very opinionated yet you're speaking as if it is fact.  Learn and realize that others have different opinions and others can say that RPG games aren't fun either. Why do you think shooters sell well?  Because people like them and the competitive scene helps them as well.

And shooters are definitely not mindless.  Hop on an online game and play up against good people and then tell me if it is mindless or not.  This thread is more mindless than that and seems to be a very narrow minded way of thinking.

And more replayable than online where everything is different everytime?  That is why people are still playing Counterstrike right?

Around the Network
Kawaiix33 said:
STRYKIE said:
Another thread complaining about a particular genre taking the frontseat within a particular generation? Really?

Welcome to 1986 I guess.

If you don't like it,why you even here brah and even bother comment here ? I just wanted to hear the opinion from other gamer what they think about today genre.

You answered your own question. No, I don't like it, but this has happened every single generation. It seems you just feel hard done by that your particular favorite genres aren't in the limelight anymore.

TheEspionage said:
Kawaiix33 said:
TheEspionage said:
Sounds like you just like a different genre of games than that. Possibly 3D platformers are your style from what it sounds like.

Also there are far more RPG's that are released than zombie games. Typically Jrpg games.

I wouldn't say any genre is overdone. I would say that there are good and bad games in every genre.

Nah i like RPG games more than 3D platform but still i would play old 3D platform games from times to times ( not knack though cause that game for me is kinda meh ). 

At least RPG games is much more fun to play and have way more replaybility than zombie games unless that games have way too much grinding level then i wouldn't even bother to play it.

Nah i don't think so. Gamers would buy anything that is zombie game and FPS game regardless how bad the game is and how bad the review were given. They just like to mindlessly shoot people and killing zombie cause it seem more enjoyable when compare to RPG games,text based adventure,puzzle game.

This is all very opinionated yet you're speaking as if it is fact.  Learn and realize that others have different opinions and others can say that RPG games aren't fun either. Why do you think shooters sell well?  Because people like them and the competitive scene helps them as well.

And shooters are definitely not mindless.  Hop on an online game and play up against good people and then tell me if it is mindless or not.  This thread is more mindless than that and seems to be a very narrow minded way of thinking.

Yes i know others have different opinion but why do SOME keep buying anything that is related to FPS and zombies game.Have you wonder why these genre is so popular and able to rack up a lot of sales compare to other genre that is struggling ? Why do i think shooters sell well ? Because it is an easy game to pick and learn and some people think most FPS game have better graphic than other game so it is pleasing to their eye to see something realistic. RTS games is slowly dying because SOME people just don't like to learn complicated things.

When i say mindless,i was talking about the storyline in FPS. Most FPS game is all about revenge and defend their homeland or what not. The only FPS games that did it right is Half-Life and Halo.The other FPS games is just i kill this guy just for my satisfaction or to take revenge of my friend & comrade or to defend my homeland. Some FPS games have other purpose to why they needed to kill this guy or to defeat a particular faction and not just some this guy show up and i have no choice but to kill him/her along with a wave of enemy. 

STRYKIE said:

You answered your own question. No, I don't like it, but this has happened every single generation. It seems you just feel hard done by that your particular favorite genres aren't in the limelight anymore.

I agree with this, except FPS will be the major focus in three generations in a row.  Sixth(Xbox specifically,) seventh, and now eight gen, atleast going by how many FPS games are available at launch.   It's happened every gen but hasn't happened like this.  It's time to move onto something else I think, but with the medium being filled with a bunch of casual gamers who just want to run around and shoot stuff, developers are going to go where the money is at.

FPS games have been over-saturated for years now.

Around the Network
Kawaiix33 said:
T

Yes i know others have different opinion but why do SOME keep buying anything that is related to FPS and zombies game.Have you wonder why these genre is so popular and able to rack up a lot of sales compare to other genre that is struggling ? Why do i think shooters sell well ? Because it is an easy game to pick and learn and some people think most FPS game have better graphic than other game so it is pleasing to their eye to see something realistic. RTS games is slowly dying because SOME people just don't like to learn complicated things.

When i say mindless,i was talking about the storyline in FPS. Most FPS game is all about revenge and defend their homeland or what not. The only FPS games that did it right is Half-Life and Halo.The other FPS games is just i kill this guy just for my satisfaction or to take revenge of my friend & comrade or to defend my homeland. Some FPS games have other purpose to why they needed to kill this guy or to defeat a particular faction and not just some this guy show up and i have no choice but to kill him/her along with a wave of enemy. 

Most FPS games that sell well have great multiplayer.  Call of Duty, Halo, Killzone, Counterstrike, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Battlefield, etc all have great multiplayer. Not to mention some of them like Halo, Half-Life, Resistance, Portal, and others have good stories.

They sell well because they are good games.  As I said before, you will see more RPG games release than FPS games.  And you keep saying it is easy to pick up and play.  Then go do play online which is what most people do anyways.

Other genres sell well too.  Just seems you aren't happy because your favorite games aren't selling the best.

RTS games aren't dieing because of that either.  RTS is still popular on PC but has little to no chance on consoles.  Mobas and dungeon crawlers like Dota, Torchlight, and Diablo are very popular.  Rpg's are popular as well though people seem a bit tired of Jrpg's outside of Japan.  Every genre has good and bad sellers in reality.  Why?  Because every genre has good and bad games.

kupomogli said:
STRYKIE said:

I agree with this, except FPS will be the major focus in three generations in a row.  Sixth(Xbox specifically,) seventh, and now eight gen, atleast going by how many FPS games are available at launch.   It's happened every gen but hasn't happened like this.  It's time to move onto something else I think, but with the medium being filled with a bunch of casual gamers who just want to run around and shoot stuff, developers are going to go where the money is at.

I wouldn't be surprised if focus shifted towards a new genre this generation however, platformers, RPGs and Sandbox games were still going strong with the rise of Fighters, RPGs, Sandbox and FPS in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generations respectively. The decline of COD with Ghosts may be hinting at that, but I don't doubt that the market will still be very serviceable there.

Also, if you wanna attribute the rise of FPS to the original Xbox because of Halo 2, then you'd also have to take Goldeneye 007 on the N64 into account. Just sayin'. :P

STRYKIE said:

Also, if you wanna attribute the rise of FPS to the original Xbox because of Halo 2, then you'd also have to take Goldeneye 007 on the N64 into account. Just sayin'. :P

Having a few FPS doesn't mean it was the dominant genre. 

The Xbox has also gained the reputation of the FPS console because it's a decent amount of console exclusives that were FPS and if you knew someone with an Xbox they probably had a few FPS games in their collection.  Aside from sports and racing games, which are the only two genres that have been dominant on all systems, the FPS genre has more top sellers than any other.  As expected.  Xbox is an western console, makes sense that racing, sports, and shooters would be the best sellers.

The whole zombie shooter thing has been played out (it peaked with the original Left 4 Dead IMO), and the FPS genre itself has been oversaturated with modern/futuristic shooters.

That said, shooting things in videogames isn't going anywhere... it's been a staple of the industry since Space Invaders. How you go about shooting things may change over time, but never will shooters go away. And thank God for that, because the only thing worse than having the industry oversaturated with shooters would be to have it oversaturated with repetitive, cookie-cutter JRPGs and collect-a-thon platformers.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

kupomogli said:
STRYKIE said:

Having a few FPS doesn't mean it was the dominant genre. 

The Xbox has also gained the reputation of the FPS console because it's a decent amount of console exclusives that were FPS and if you knew someone with an Xbox they probably had a few FPS games in their collection.  Aside from sports and racing games, which are the only two genres that have been dominant on all systems, the FPS genre has more top sellers than any other.  As expected.  Xbox is an western console, makes sense that racing, sports, and shooters would be the best sellers.

FPS' were only outdone by 3D platformers on the N64.. and even that's debatable. I'd argue that the N64 (inadvertently, mind you)  ended up just as westernized, if you will, as the OG Xbox.