By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic focusing on console titles claims PC gaming is currently in "disarray"

Hey it's CliffyB saying it not me...  I especially love his comments: "I don't want to win over [someone's] little college sister, because that's not the kind of game I do," and "I'm not going to make f***ing Cooking Mama.".

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92707

Epic focusing on console titles
News by Ellie Gibson

Epic's Cliff Bleszinski has said that the studio is focusing on producing console titles for the time being, claiming PC gaming is currently in "disarray".

"I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and Gears is at 4.5 million right now on the 360," he told MTV Multiplayer.

"I think the PC is just in disarray... What's driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WOW and a lot of stuff that's in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That's the direction PC is evolving into."

So with PC gaming all messed up, what's a development studio to do but stick with good old consoles?

"For me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we're doing," confirmed Bleszinski. "It's important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we're at."

CliffyB declined to name said games, refusing to be drawn on speculation that maybe, just maybe Epic will make a sequel to its multi-million selling global hit Gears of War. However, he did say Epic is sticking to making games for the demographic it's familiar with.

"I don't want to win over [someone's] little college sister, because that's not the kind of game I do," he said. "I'm not going to make f***ing Cooking Mama." Jolly good. It's sh**.

We'll be catching up with Epic's other outspoken exec, Mark Rein, at GDC next week, so come back soon for more exclusive refusals to discuss Gears of War 2.

Around the Network

I disagree. I think he's not making console games because of "dissarray" I think he's making them because he's getting paid the big bucks to do so, and on PC he's getting paultry sums of income, due to pirating, slow game sales, ect.

That's just the nature of the PC beast.

Also, I think the writer of this article missed the point of Cliffy's "Cooking Mama" comment. He meant he's not making any casual type games, while the reviewer thought commented on how bad the game he mentioned was, and not the genre of game.

As a matter of fact, I'm certain Cliffy didn't know himself, if Cooking Mama was a bad game within its genre or not. He picked it because its a well know example, and the name is used as a mocking term for the genre its in.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have exhibit #5302582 of how even experienced industry insiders can sometimes be completely clueless about what's going on.

Epic doesn't understand how to move with the times. Digital distribution is the future way of PC gaming, and because they have been jerks to Valve over the years, you can bet their games won't be in that future. Instead, they decided to back Games for Windows Live. Which is like betting on a jackass to win the Kentucky Derby.

Along with this, their (and other Windows Live backing companies) PC game sales have completely died. Of course, the huge drop in quality in their recent ventures like Unreal Tournament 3 didn't help either. These combined factors have basically lead to PC gamers kicking Epic out. Epic has made their bed with Microsoft, and that's where they'll have to lie. Console gaming is all that's left for them.

well its good that they make hardcore AAA games but i dont pc is in a dissaray

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Is there anyplace to see how many copies of games are selling on Steam?  I'm just curious because I never seem to encounter any articles from publishers bragging about how many copies of games they've sold on it.  Also I can't understand why some of the publishers on there when we look at their financial statements the PC is either at the bottom or very close to it as far as income is concerned.  If Steam is this sales beast why can't I go to their site and see a top 10 list of games along with their sales?

*Oh and in case anyone is wondering I actually think Steam is brilliant and I hope the next generation of consoles have a similar setup to it.

Legend11 said:
Is there anyplace to see how many copies of games are selling on steam?

Not yet, but when steamworks is launched in full we'll be able to check them.

Developers/publishers will know how much their games are selling. We'll only know if they let us know. =P

Parokki said:
Developers/publishers will know how much their games are selling. We'll only know if they let us know. =P

Oh, oops, you're right. The sales data of steamworks is for the publishers. Only they get it.

Well, in general a game needs to sell much less on Steam to make a profit than in a store anyway. Basically steam cuts out the retailer, and all that's left are the standard publishing fees, but the game is sold for the same price. So, say a developer who sells a copy of their game in a store gets 30% of the sale price after publishing fees and store markups. If that same game is sold on Steam, the developer just pays the publishing, so their profit per game sold more than doubles to something closer to 70% of the sale price.

Legend11 said:
Is there anyplace to see how many copies of games are selling on Steam?

There are no figures, except that we know Orange Box sold like crack on Steam, and that Steam "realized year-over-year sales growth of 158% through the holiday season".