By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

Both the Xbox One and PS4 require all games to be installed from the disc, due to the increasing size of games and the relatively low speed of optical drives. So both consoles have a feature that allows you to launch a game as soon as enough content is installed to begin running it, while the rest of the data continues to install in the background. Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet.

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game.

How Long Your First Install Will Take On PS4 And Xbox OneP

Assassin's Creed IV: 
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 secondsP

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:P

Need For Speed Rivals: 
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32P

Just Dance 2014: 
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45P

NBA Live 14: 
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35P

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34P

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Around the Network

It seems like only yesterday, when 360 fans were making fun of SONY fans for mandatory installs and updates before each game could be played.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Lol wow those PS4 times are fast.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought the difference would be that massive.

Cerny fantastic feature Play & Install.

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:

We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation.

If there is an update for a PS4 game, how is this handled? Does it download in the background while the game is installing? Or does it allow you to play the game while the update is being downloaded?

That's a bit disappointing for the Xbox One if true. Are the PS4 installation times really that fast (I'm guessing the games are installing in the background maybe?)? Hats off to Sony if they really are, since I still remember having to sit and watch Solid Snake smoke a damn cigarette for what seemed like forever before trying to play MGS4.

Holy shit those Xbone times look unrealistic compared to PS4. Is the Xbone that bad at installing or PS4 just superfast? Goddamn this is huuuuuuge!

kowenicki said:
adriane23 said:
It seems like only yesterday, when 360 fans were making fun of SONY fans for mandatory installs and updates before each game could be played.

Indeed, and only yesteday that sony fans said it didnt matter.

Both wrong obviously

Yep. Every Sony fan but me. I remember the dark days of MGS4 or even more recently, DC Universe Online, and then DC Universe Online again when I upgraded my HDD.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Dat moment when you realize PS4 is on average 30x faster than Xbone at installing.

ouch