By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-3 And Mario 3D World Bomb In Japan (Also Vita TV Bomba!)

Eesh 100k. That Wii U HW number too..... 3d World deserves better. LR not so much (probably).

Around the Network
C-M-D said:
acdcste said:
Wasn't the wii u under 10k last week, so it has doubled. Still poor sales granted but doubled week on week. And most people were predicting around 100k for mario in japan so not sure why you are so surprised?

Wii U sales were at 14k-15k Last week.

Fair enough, it must have been the week before. Still an increase. Its pretty clear at this stage that japan is primarily a handheld teritory anyways.

Yeah that Taiko game some people were hoping would boost the Wii U bombed like nobody's business too, lol. Bombas all around.

Purple said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Purple said:
At least One Piece did okay?

It's disastrous. Sold about 30% of the shipment.

From what I'm reading that's about 25% more than Taiko managed.

Yep, but the Taiko copies virtually never left the shelves. One Piece did 800K last year on PS3, One Piece 2 between 400 and 500K across PS3/Vita, so 77K on the most dynamic platform of the market is just an dreadful result for NamcoBandai. I bet they're regretting to have allowed this exclusivity, unless of course they port it to Sony consoles next year.

BasilZero said:
Incubi said:

Just a little perspective. So what now? It seems like shit just got real. WiiU is going nowhere in Japan this year and it seems like its a reality we will just have to accept.

By any chance, source of the chart? Not doubting you or anything, but I like this chart, also does it come with the first 4 mainline mario games as well?

Edit: Nvm, it says "3D" XD. I wonder how 2D sales are like.

Edit 2: Wow SM3DL sold a lot :O, I'm planning to get the game, cant wait XD.

Source is of cource NeoGaf:P

About Taiko no Tetsujin: Taiko games usually seem to debut at around 100k give or take. So the sales of Taiko U is disastrous.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
sc94597 said:
Incubi said:

s

Just a little perspective. So what now? It seems like shit just got real. WiiU is going nowhere in Japan this year and it seems like its a reality we will just have to accept.

Basically that chart tells me that first week sales mean very little when it comes to Mario (see SM64, and SM 64 DS.) Not that Super Mario 3D World will have their level of success, but it will be successful enough, likely matching or surpassing Sunshine. 

SM64DS and M64 shouldn't really count though those were games on launch week for a new hardware, so naturally there will a supply constraint.

For example the N64 was completely sold out in Japan its first few weeks and Nintendo didn't ship a ton, so obviously Mario 64's adoption rate was initially held back by that.  

Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Mario 3D Land are proper comparables. 

If we consider attach rate to consoles, then Mario Galaxy and 3D Land aren't comparable. The Wii had about 4 million consoles sold in Japan when Super Mario Galaxy was released. The 3DS had about 2.25 million. The Wii U has 1.16 million. 

Soundwave said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Famitsu has Lightning Returns at 306K. Besides, LR sold 75% of its stock while Mario sold only 50%. Squareenix obviously didn't expect LR to sell as much as FFXIII-2.

These are historic lows for both franchises in either case.

Well, how many third spin-offs have there been, though?  I'd be willing to bet that the third game is almost always much lower.

Lightning Returns looks like a well-made game.  I want to play it.

The most important thing to remember about Final Fantasy is that, with main-line games, the majority of people who buy them are not RPG fans.  That might be the only RPG they buy in a generation.  A huge drop-off is expected, in my opinion.  I'm sure Square knows this.

I think the sad realization I just had is Super Mario Galaxy 3 (or whatever the next 3D Mario) is probably quietly getting moved to the 3DS over Wii U as we speak.

Can't ignore the fact it would probably sell 2-3x more on the 3DS and probably be cheaper to make to boot.

100k in one day :P

So no one is making an official MC thread?