By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U should be top down

No it shouldn't. After much deliberation on the subject, I believe we Zelda fans deserve what we saw in that E3 '12 demo and nothing less than that perfection. Top down Zelda should remain handheld only.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Korppi said:

Excluding the Super Nintendo, every Nintendo home console has had two mainline Zelda games. As Little Taco Commercial Girl once said in her infinite wisdom, "why don't we have both?"

And even though I was, like, thirteen back then, I remember people all over the Internet going all "oh, a game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii will never sell on a home console", and "this looks like a lazy DS port, the home consoles should be reserved for proper 3D Mario games". I'm just throwing that out there.

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, I fully endorse the OP's suggestion. I mean, christ, so far there have been two traditional top-down Zeldas on the home consoles. The last on was in 1992. That ain't right.

1. Zelda is not Mario not even close, it wouldnt have the same effect two

2. 3d Zelda is actually MORE popular than 2d Zelda despite what some might want to believe, the best selling Zelda is a 3d one OOT

3.Why do we NEED a 2d Zelda on a home console? What will it being on the home console add to the experience that couldnt be done on the portable, its not like their is a Multiplayer mode where people could gather around the TV to better ultilize, serious question not trying to be a dick

I dont see Ninty doing this, they still need to sell people on the gamepad and i dont think a 2d Zelda would really utilize it, but i like the idea that someone said before have it 3d but use the gamepad as map and it will be in 2d. Dont think Ninty can pull that off though, hell i dont think anyone can pull that off.

1 & 2: No, a 2D Zelda wouldn't be the same bombshell that NSMBW was, and yes, no matter how you look at it, the best-selling Zelda game is either Ocarina or Twilight Princess. I don't think I implied otherwise. The NSMBW comparison was directed at some of the earlier posts that said that it would never happen or be successful.

3: It just makes sense to me that one 2D Zelda and one 3D Zelda would attract more people to buy the system than two 3D Zeldas would. It's hard to say by how much since, like I said before, the 2D Zeldas are criminally underrepresented on the home consoles, but I think the figure would be at least noticeable, since A Link to the Past was... well, a while ago.

@ the bolded: I don't see why it would need to have some cheap, shoehorned novelty that couldn't be emulated on a handheld or any other system to justify its existence. Most of the best-selling Zelda games could be and have been ported over to handhelds without detriment to the experience.

But I'm agreeing with the OP because I really prefer 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda, not because I think it's necessarily the best decision for Nintendo financially. Again, I don't think I implied otherwise.

@AlphaCielago

Four Swords Adventures was a multiplayer spin-off that was designed around GC/GBA connectivity, and had linear, stage-based progression without an explorable overworld of any sort. That's why I said traditional.

And people considering 3D World and TF a "waste" is just a part of the circle of life on Nintendo forums. I like to call it "the inverted Sonic cycle".

Agreed. And with those graphics at full HD:

I've never really liked 3D Zeldas that much, in fact, the only one I have completed is Majora's Mask. A new 2D version on a home console would be a dream.

One remake of a SNES zelda is enough, thanks.

Gimme a zelda with an inspiring, huge, open world map a la xenoblade.

No.

Around the Network

Personally I would love it, and it would probably sell well, but I think Wii U really needs a mature 3D Zelda right now to gain some street cred. That said, incorporating some 2D elements ala 3DWorld would be smart and allow for better game play and for more people to enjoy it. Also, if a 2D looked like the one in Razor's picture, that might really turn some heads.

For the love of EVERYTHING, we NEED a Four Sword adventures on the WiiU! IMAGINE!

Your buddy brings his own WiiU Gamepad, up to four players. Crazy mayhem.

Four Swords is probably one of the best cooperative games, ever.

I dont think it should. But Nintendo can clearly persue a side series in 2D topview (just like they do with mario).

Zelda U should be 3D, open world with gorgeous graphics.

DanneSandin said:
I'll have to say no as well. I love 2d Zelda, but I think Wii U would benefit much more from a beautiful 3d Zelda. Knowing Nintendo though, they'll probably fuck it all up. What they need to do is to go back to the roots of what made Zelda so great. It really was the first open world game, back in the day. Take a que from Skyrim. Don't Be like skyrim though!

This has to be the worst idea ever... Sorry, man...

Na na bra, na