By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For you who think next gen graphics suck...

While the graphics will no doubt improve and i think the Witcher 3 might be the first one, the difference from what we see now to the best we will see is smaller than the example you gave. This is because of diminishing returns due to the limits of the human eye.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
Taking a second look, most PS3 developers agree with me. Many of your favorite developers are now making iPhone games, people like David Jaffe from the God of War series and Ninja Theory for starters.

david jaffe isnt making a mobile game

Nem said:

While the graphics will no doubt improve and i think the Witcher 3 might be the first one, the difference from what we see now to the best we will see is smaller than the example you gave. This is because of diminishing returns due to the limits of the human eye.

were still a way off until we reach diminishing returns. once game reach avatar level of quality then we start to talk about dominishing returns in terms of visuals. 

toastboy44562 said:

Well they do right now. But remember this

Call of duty 2 on Xbox 360

Call of duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360

I chose these two games because they perform similarly.

With the PS4 and Xbox One already looking slightly better than the current gen games imagine how much better they will look in a year or two. Ghosts will look like Call of Duty 2 looks to us today.

Sd-> to hd is not the same from 720 p to maybe sometimes 1080p.

plus there is no mystery to these systems there not hard to understand should be mastered in months.

Before someone comes in and says well code to hardware. Do you know what that really means? You will lose features for new features. 

The last of us isn't running 1080p 60 frames not even 720 60fps. It's 720 p dropping at 20 fps something's and still has lots of jaggies.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

bananaking21 said:
Nem said:

were still a way off until we reach diminishing returns. once game reach avatar level of quality then we start to talk about dominishing returns in terms of visuals. 

There is a reason why we hear the graphics of the new generation are not impressive or a huge step up. I have said this ever since i saw the specs, despite next-gen enthusiats insisting on flaming me for it, and i will continue to say it because im right. There is never gonna be a graphics jump in the same level has the previous gens. Unless we start delving into 3D and virtual reality stuff.

Feel free to keep denying the obvious though. These consoles with the specs they have wont go much further than what we have seen in graphical terms. Better textures, better fps, less loading screens, better lighting. That is all you will be able to see, on a marginal level compared to current gen. There will be no fidelity jump like the one linked in the opening post.

Around the Network
Mensrea said:

Next gen graphics don't suck. :)

If you're gonna show off 3D World, use pics that do it justice. :p

Mensrea said:

Next gen graphics don't suck. :)

Use first party Nintendo games that aren't X and you may as well be showing pictures off that are marginably better than what the Wii can handle, just in HD.

Both have horrible graphics!

3D world is the best looking next gen game so far. No joke. Maybe kill zone as well.

bananaking21 said:
DarkD said:
Taking a second look, most PS3 developers agree with me. Many of your favorite developers are now making iPhone games, people like David Jaffe from the God of War series and Ninja Theory for starters.

david jaffe isnt making a mobile game

Well he's still at EatSleepPlay right?  I can find records saying that he wants to get back into frontline development but I can't find anything saying that he left eatsleepplay and currently this is on their homepage 

http://www.eatsleepplay.biz/

So at the very least, his company that he co-founded decided that they aren't doing PS3 games at the moment and turned to the iPhone.  

I know they had a 3 game deal with Sony and from what I recall they completed that deal already.  Calling all Cars and two twisted metal games.  Now they are making iPhone games....

EDIT

Nevermind I found the article.  David Jaffe did leave ESP after massive layoffs and ESPs decision to switch to iphone development.   Jaffe thereafter left the question of what he's going to be working on next up in the air.  He says he may do a big game and he may make a browser game.  I don't know exactly how detailed of a browser game he thinks he can make but the ones i'm familiar with are pretty disappointing.  My own opinion is that he only said he may do a big game to keep the fanboys quiet.  

EDIT2

Found a better link.  He is producing free to play browser games.  Funny how the quote of David Jaffe talking about his next game being maybe a "big, huge next gen game ideas" or "stuff in the browser space" that he labeled as "gamer centric." turned into just plain 

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.ca/2012/06/why-i-left-eat-sleep-play.html

"fantastic free to play browser games with some adjustments to the free to play biz model in order to make free to play appeal more to gamers."

Clearly I was way off base when I suggested David Jaffe was producing something like an iPhone game.  Nah that's just what the company he started and left is doing.  The new company he's starting up will be working on free to play browser games....