By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For you who think next gen graphics suck...

DUDE! I don't have an Xbox One but I just watched a playthrough of Ryse on Twitch and goddam that game looks good. My lord! I don't know about the gameplay but the story and graphics! Wow.

I'm posting on Wii U while letting the browser run the video stream on TV screen. If this is a launch game, I'll stfu about graphics. It's stunning. I can't tell the FPS or anything but people, go out of your way to see this thing in motion!

Around the Network

I watched some Dead Rising 3, too. Graphically, I wasn't impressed. Glad there's such a thing as Twitch. I'll be watching a ton of next gen games while I wait to purchase one of the two new consoles.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

That is just because you don't get overcharged by companies there as much as we are here =] (its starting to get better, if you disregard PS4k).

Where do you live?

Here in Aus we get overcharged compared to the US and UK, but not as badly as somewhere like Brazil.

You guessed right... in Brazil... bought very little here, most of my gaming addiction is imported from UK because of easyness to buy a lot of used games and pay little for shipping and don't have import tax discounted before hand. Even tough pound is costier than dollar its worth...

If you import in Aus is it worth or just small change??? Is used games healthy there?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

That is just because you don't get overcharged by companies there as much as we are here =] (its starting to get better, if you disregard PS4k).

Where do you live?

Here in Aus we get overcharged compared to the US and UK, but not as badly as somewhere like Brazil.

You guessed right... in Brazil... bought very little here, most of my gaming addiction is imported from UK because of easyness to buy a lot of used games and pay little for shipping and don't have import tax discounted before hand. Even tough pound is costier than dollar its worth...

If you import in Aus is it worth or just small change??? Is used games healthy there?

I bought most of my Wii games from the UK cos it was $60 AUD to do so, but $100 AUD to buy locally.

Used games are often overpriced too, I've seen pre-owned games at up to $92, so nearly new price.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Where do you live?

I bought most of my Wii games from the UK cos it was $60 AUD to do so, but $100 AUD to buy locally.

Used games are often overpriced too, I've seen pre-owned games at up to $92, so nearly new price.

Our used games are around 30 dollars... I can buy then in game.co.uk for around 10-20 pounds depending of the game... so for me its really worth =]

New games here are around 90 dollars

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

No, graphical leaps won't be as big this time around.

Claim it as much as you would like, the X1 and PS4 are using PC parts, with a bit of "supercharging" using the consoles drivers. Developers already know how to utilize the consoles parts, whereas the last gen features less than 1gb of RAM to use, the 360's slow CPU, and the PS3's weaker GPU, foreign CELL CPU, and split RAM, which resulted in a need for heavy optimization.

Not only where each individual consoles difficult to program and optimize, but they shared different architectures from each other, so it took time for games to become playable on the other (ps3 mainly)

So games will still look gorgeous this gen, with those new GPU's. However, the simplicity and similarity of the parts means that games like Killzone, Infamous, Ryze, and Dead Rising are going to be the bases of how this gens games will look.

The only console that will have visual improvement over time is the Wii U, due to it's different approach and need for optimization; though even at it's best, the games won't look as good as the X1 and PS4 unless it's 1st party.

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Damian.W said:

Claim it as much as you would like, the X1 and PS4 are using PC parts, with a bit of "supercharging" using the consoles drivers. Developers already know how to utilize the consoles parts, whereas the last gen features less than 1gb of RAM to use, the 360's slow CPU, and the PS3's weaker GPU, foreign CELL CPU, and split RAM, which resulted in a need for heavy optimization.

Not only where each individual consoles difficult to program and optimize, but they shared different architectures from each other, so it took time for games to become playable on the other (ps3 mainly)

So games will still look gorgeous this gen, with those new GPU's. However, the simplicity and similarity of the parts means that games like Killzone, Infamous, Ryze, and Dead Rising are going to be the bases of how this gens games will look.

The only console that will have visual improvement over time is the Wii U, due to it's different approach and need for optimization; though even at it's best, the games won't look as good as the X1 and PS4 unless it's 1st party.

Hum. What about no?

The reason why developers need to optimize that much on consoles is because of their "closed" nature.  The consoles are set in stone from the day they're released. The developers need to develop methods to make the best out of the hardware in order to make their games look more attractive than what came before. Not only that, but you also have the PC platform that is not set in stone, for which many third party developers (and some first parties) create games for.

You have Crytek, for example, developing new engines and tricks to make use of the always inscreasing horsepower of the PC architecture. But what happens when they want to make those PC games available on consoles? Yes, they tone a lof ot the aspects down, but they develop tricks, methods and optimization to make the game look as close to the PC version as possible.

This will not change just because the newly released console are now x86. -__-

Your arguments don't make any sense. 

Hynad said:
Damian.W said:

Hum. What about no?

The reason why developers need to optimize that much on consoles is because of their "closed" nature.  The consoles are set in stone from the day they're released. The developers need to develop methods to make the best out of the hardware in order to make their games look more attractive than what came before. Not only that, but you also have the PC platform that is not set in stone, for which many third party developers (and some first parties) create games for.

You have Crytek, for example, developing new engines and tricks to make use of the always inscreasing horsepower of the PC architecture. But what happens when they want to make those PC games available on consoles? Yes, they tone a lof ot the aspects down, but they develop tricks, methods and optimization to make the game look as close to the PC version as possible.

But because of the "easy" development platform its quite possible that they will have less to squezee after because they should get closer to the "limit" faster than in this generation... it will happen, it may be impresive, but I don't think the gen will last as long as this one.

DonFerrari said:
Hynad said:
Damian.W said:

Hum. What about no?

But because of the "easy" development platform its quite possible that they will have less to squezee after because they should get closer to the "limit" faster than in this generation... it will happen, it may be impresive, but I don't think the gen will last as long as this one.

This is the same kind of speeches we get at the start of ever console generation. And every single time, people like you get proven wrong.

This "easy" to squeeze development platform you speak of is not different than any of those. They're still closed platforms. Just like they always do, developers will start by exploiting all of the hardware in the way that is comfortable for them: They don't optimize, they go for pure brute force use.

Over time, they start wanting to get more out of the hardware, so they start optimising. Gradually, as they're confronted with limitations, they come up with more and more tricks that make the vision they have possible on these consoles. Those tricks carry over to their next project, where they're confronted with new problems, so they create new tricks and develop new methods again, etc...

Hynad said:
DonFerrari said:
Hynad said:
Damian.W said:

Hum. What about no?

This is the same kind of speeches we get at the start of ever console generation. And every single time, people like you get proven wrong.

This "easy" to squeeze development platform you speak of is not different than any of those. They're still closed platforms. Just like they always do, developers will start by exploiting all of the hardware in the way that is comfortable for them: They don't optimize, they go for pure brute force use.

Over time, they start wanting to get more out of the hardware, so they start optimising. Gradually, as they're confronted with limitations, they come up with more and more tricks that make the vision they have possible on these consoles. Those tricks carry over to their next project, where they're confronted with new problems, so they create new tricks and develop new methods again, etc...

Well in this case PS platforms can't be compared because they were always harder than other plats...

But as I said, I agree that we will have improvements, but I don't think they will be as dramatic or so lasting as this gen. Well I will be glad to be wrong. Haven't followed Wii closely... but did they get a huge jump from the begining of gen to end?