By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The History of Polygon - The Worst Gaming Journalists Around

Though I'll admit I think they're biased due to their funding $ and whatever other factors, being biased is one thing--everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I don't like is the way they go about it, banning people, blocking people on Twitter, basically ignoring any and all criticism, pretending it doesn't exist so they can go on selling out while pretending to be okay with it.

Around the Network

Just looked it up. The hightest they have rated a AAA exclusive title for ps3/4 is The Last of Us with a 75 (average was 95 overall)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Because microsoft is playing dirty and he is giving money to crappy sites like engadget, kotaku, joystiq and polygon I wont buy any of their products anymore.

hamo0odi90 said:
wilco said:
The remote control functionaility thing is even more trivial than the TLOU rating.  The guy said something wrong about remote control functionality. Thats hardly the scandal of the decade but ofcourse were just going to latch on to whatever meaningless tidbit we can right?

So , you know he was wrong ? how about this

why blocking the guy and call him creepy ? 

Is that the whole conversation, or is there more to it? It probably doesn't even matter to most people anyway. It's all about agendas.

Let me first say that I don't care much about low scores. Scores, to me, are so subjective that they're almost meaningless. I also have no idea if Polygon is biased or not. There is circumstantial evidence pointing in that direction, yes, but certainly not enough that I would simply assume it's true.

What I do care about, on the other hand, is the ability and credibility of the staff members who are actually writing the articles that appear on the website.

With that in mind, the Killzone: Shadowfall review posted on Poloygon, written by Arthur Gies, was one of the worst reviews that I've ever come across from one of the major gaming publications. I have no idea if the writer if biased against Sony or not but he made it crystal clear in the first paragraph that he has never liked Killzone.

What follows that is just a very bad article that I could not take seriously. Not because he didn't like the game but because it was obvious that he did not want to like the game and was actively looking for things to complain about. He attacked it for "failing to evolve," whatever the heck that means. He attacked it for having a different feel than most FPS games, then attacked it for being too much like CoD. In the name of all things cat, he complained that the enemy kept shooting him.

By the Power of Greyskull, goddamn.

So, seriously, biased? I dunno. Pro-Microsoft or anti-Sony? I dunno. Lower scores than elsewhere? I don't care.

Nonsensical reviews that come across as something written by an angry pre-teen? Yeah, that's not my thing. I don't really care about all the drama, I just avoid Polygon because I haven't been impressed with the quality of their work.

Around the Network

Read the reviews between TLOU, TR and Ryse. Its all from Phil Kollins on Polygon.

TR - 9
TLOU - 7.5
Ryse - 6

His complaints on TLOU are really really mind boggling when compared to how forgiving the other two reviews are (despite Ryse even scoring lower, you'd think the game should be scored 4-5 and TR should be a 7 going by his standards).

Phil on TLOU review:
"But I couldn't find any deeper meaning in the horrible events in The Last of Us."

"I wanted to avoid that violence in part because of its disgusting detail."

"It achieves incredible emotional high points about as often as it bumps up against tired scenario design that doesn't fit its world"

"Combat against the zombie-esque infected is especially frustrating. Not only are they faster, more aggressive and more unpredictable than human enemies, but multiple types of infected have an instant, one-hit kill if they get in melee range."

"Did I mention that Joel isn't terribly good with guns? Naughty Dog has given Joel's aim a semi-realistic shakiness which, when mixed with the erratic movement of the infected, makes keeping enemies at bay a serious - and not terribly entertaining - challenge. Eventual upgrades allow Joel to hold his aim slightly better, but the annoyance never disappeared."

Phil on TR review:

"outside of a handful of cutscenes and one particularly brutal (and effective) gameplay sequence. Tomb Raider becomes less narratively unique - it's not long before Lara is running through a village of enemies, guns blazing, screaming, "I'm coming for you!" like a blood-soaked action movie star - but the clichés serve the gameplay."

"The speed of these changes makes Lara's animations look awkward and unnatural, but it feels right."

"Tomb Raider's multiplayer mode is a strange inverse of the single-player. The latter pulls together many of the best traits of the current generation of game design; the former, many of the worst - specifically, shoehorning in multiplayer where it's not needed."

^It's like he's saying: This and that makes it weird. BUT IT WORKS! Whereas in TLOU hes pulling things out of his ass.

bigjon said:
Just looked it up. The hightest they have rated a AAA exclusive title for ps3/4 is The Last of Us with a 75 (average was 95 overall)

Exactly the point of my (not sure if serious) theory about Polygon cheating with their own metacritic average scores.

The important AAA Sony games of the year have been scored much lower than metacritic. (TLOU -2.5, Killzone -2) and in the same time they gave Microsoft AAA games of the year higher scores than metacritic. (Forza 5 and Halo 4 both around +1 than metacritic).

But as others Sony games (Resogun) have been higher scored than metacritic and others minor Microsoft launch games (Crimson Dragon and another) have been down voted then an apparently not biased average statistic arise from their whole scores.

I didnt say it is on purpose. Maybe it is just a serie of coincidences. But those coincidences match now perfectly with the hypothetical theory that Polygon is biased because of the MONEYYYY from Microsoft.

anamme said:
At the end of the day, as a site, they should have some kind of grading consensus, because there are only a handful of entertainment critics with some name recognition that you can trust as reliable, and Polygon is not there yet. When someone like Roger Ebert says your favorite movie sucked, it was okay because you knew the man had some principles and had earned respect when it came to his critiques, so you could just chalk it up to differing opinions.

But, if you know a game is coming out that is highly-anticipated and apparently with great production values, you don't hand the review copy off to someone who doesn't like that sort of game, and then proceeds to give it a low score. That's just being that moron who says they didn't like 'The Godfather'. Yeah, your completely entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make you right. You just end up sounding disconnected from what actual gamers are saying.

And this isn't some pro-Sony thing. If Titanfall ends up getting a low score from Polygon, when the universe and your mother knows it's going to be a good game, there's no need to have that one person who didn't like it officially review it on behalf of your website or publication. Because that's what leads to Halo 9 and God of War 7. How about giving these companies a bit of a break for trying to do something new and introduce new IP's. Is that too much leeway to give them?

How do you know that Titanfall is going to be a good game? It doesn't come out for months!

This is EXACTLY the problem. I'm beginning to think that moneyhatting publishers are not the problem but rather fan expectations are the real problem when it comes to reviews.

You haven't even played a game and yet you've already decided its fate. If a review comes out that disagrees with the narrative you have already built up in your head you will not accept it. This is why many people screamed bloody murder when TLOU got a 7.5, even though at the time most of those same people had not even played. Those folks had already decided months in advance that the game was great. Conversely the court of public opinion decided months in advance that Ryse and Knack were garbage and lo and behold the reviews have come forth to fulfill that prophecy.

I feel that a lot of these reviewers and review sites are forced to conform to whatever the general consensus has decided about a game months in advance. Before GTA V came out people decided it was the greatest game ever. It released and got 10's across the board. Any reviewer who veered from that predestined path was sure to be crucified... Because the internet was absolutely not willing to hear anything other than perfection. That is not healthy. We shouldn't be so closed minded about anticipated games being good or bad. All it does is lead to review scores that are based more on peer pressure than the merits of the game. Thats not the publishers fault that is the fans fault.

Easy fix, don't go to their site.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
Easy fix, don't go to their site.

But But.. they drag the metacritic score down........

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)