By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atlus Livestream- Persona 5 announced plus 3 spin-offs

Tagged games:

Which game are you most excited for

Persona 5 45 63.38%

Persona Q 17 23.94%

Persona DAN 1 1.41%

Persona UUSH 0 0%

ALL OF THEM 4 5.63%

my Wallet's emptiness 2 2.82%

NO I HATE PERSONA. SMT RULES 1 1.41%

Total:70
brendude13 said:
Still surprised there's no Vita version of Persona 5, just look at the sales of any PS3 / Vita multiplat in Japan this past year.

In a couple of years it will get ported to VITA...

And then we will have a fighting game, a rhytm game, and a cooking game!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
pezus said:

It's like releasing Metal Gear Solid exclusively on 3DS. It just doesn't make sense given the fanbase is almost all on Sony platforms.

So? Monster Hunter was only on Sony platforms and that moved away, previous platforms don't mean anything as third party titles are not exclusive to only one company that's just flawed thinking.

pezus said:

Why didn't I see anyone mentioning that prior to the reveals?

When the 3DS was unveiled at E3 it was one of the games announced, people thought the game may have been cancelled but apparently it was only in a prolonged development.

Anfebious said:
brendude13 said:
Still surprised there's no Vita version of Persona 5, just look at the sales of any PS3 / Vita multiplat in Japan this past year.

In a couple of years it will get ported to VITA...

And then we will have a fighting game, a rhytm game, and a cooking game!

Oh that reminds me.

Did you technically win your bet?

brendude13 said:

Oh that reminds me.

Did you technically win your bet?

Nope, I lost! I said Persona 5 was going to be on 3DS and Vita, so I was completely off xD.

Still, the game being in PS3 is awesome. I already beat all the games I wanted (except for Dark Souls 2) so this game will keep my PS3 alive xD.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

Why should they announce it right away when they know that the fanbase will lap a slightly enhanced handheld port up a year later ?

The Persona fanbase loves double-dipping.

pezus said:

It's like releasing Metal Gear Solid exclusively on 3DS. It just doesn't make sense given the fanbase is almost all on Sony platforms.

...maybe they are trying to grow the Persona fanbase by making introducing them to the series with  Etrian Odyssey gameplay ?

Think Super Smash Brothers....or what Playstation Allstars attempted to do.

pezus said:
the_dengle said:

We'll know how good an idea it is when we see its sales.

To me, it's like this: Persona on 3DS was confirmed 3 and a half years ago. Etrian Odyssey needs a breather (especially after getting two installments in a 9-month period in NA), so what to do with the Etrian Odyssey team now that they've finished Millenium Girl? Just have them make another Etrian Odyssey game and slap some Persona on it and call it a day.

Atlus knows there's an audience for that kind of gameplay on 3DS, now they can use this game to decide whether or not there's any potential for an audience for Persona games on Nintendo consoles. Or maybe they just want to release a one-and-done Persona spin-off on 3DS. What's wrong with that?

Hey, I can't explain Atlus's decisions. But suppose they're interested in expanding their fanbase to the most successful console in Japan (or the world) at the moment. What would be the best way to do that? None of their directors have experience developing for both 3DS and a current Sony platform, so a multiplatform game is pretty much off the table. So they handed Persona to their Etrian Odyssey director -- a series that does have a fanbase on 3DS.

Franchises are one way to look at it. If this game was Vita exclusive, one might say that it wouldn't make sense because there's no fanbase for dungeoncrawlers on Vita. The remaining alternative would be for this game to not exist, and seeing as it'll probably be pretty good (at least as good as your average Etrian Odyssey game), I can't imagine why a Persona fan would say, "I want fewer Persona games to exist in the world." You can play the 3DS game if it appeals to you or you can pass it by. It's a spin-off. In no way should Persona fans feel like they have to buy a 3DS to get the full Persona experience or whatever.

Did it make any sense for Sega to release Project Mirai exclusively on 3DS? Maybe not, but they must have come up with a reason for it, because they're doing it again, aren't they?

the_dengle said:

Hey, I can't explain Atlus's decisions. But suppose they're interested in expanding their fanbase to the most successful console in Japan (or the world) at the moment. What would be the best way to do that? None of their directors have experience developing for both 3DS and a current Sony platform, so a multiplatform game is pretty much off the table. So they handed Persona to their Etrian Odyssey director -- a series that does have a fanbase on 3DS.

Franchises are one way to look at it. If this game was Vita exclusive, one might say that it wouldn't make sense because there's no fanbase for dungeoncrawlers on Vita. The remaining alternative would be for this game to not exist, and seeing as it'll probably be pretty good (at least as good as your average Etrian Odyssey game), I can't imagine why a Persona fan would say, "I want fewer Persona games to exist in the world." You can play the 3DS game if it appeals to you or you can pass it by. It's a spin-off. In no way should Persona fans feel like they have to buy a 3DS to get the full Persona experience or whatever.

something something selling more on Playstation....

....something something home on Playstation consoles

Hmm... I just realized that Winter in Japan is between December to February. So we could either see Persona 5 at the beginning of 2014 in Japan (hopefully) or at the end of the year (sadly). The usual localization time table for Persona only takes 6 months. So if Japan gets P5 early next year. The English speaking market will get it mid-year but if its released at the end of the year. Then we will get it at 2015.