By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s PlayStation 4 Costs $381 to Build

Considering R&D, marketing and such, the cost associated with each console sold is a bit more than 399§. They should make that up with subscriptions and software.

Btw: does retailers get any profit at all from selling consoles?

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:
So nobody actually worked hours to assemble this... Free labor? And the R&D for like what, 2 to 3 years + all the very high paid executives/engineers/blahblahblah working on the dev.? did not cost a penny? Storage, shipping, support team (esp. with these "0.4%" failure rate lol), etc...

If 381$ is what the hardware only cost, then they are losing money on each unit for sure...

This is clearly about hardware specs only...jesus, cant you read the title of the thread? 

It's almost like the thought of Sony profiting on a sold machine makes you angry...hmmm

Yah and I was "clearly" responding to the whole thread (you know, the OP is not the ONLY thing you should read in a "thread") and responding the a lot of people saying Sony was selling the PS4 at profit... 

Jesus, now just sit down, take a breath and stop looking at every discussion with your Sony vs Microsoft war lens... I'm not attacking Sony and I do not care if they make profit out of it or not lol

Yes, the whole thread where people were talking about profits PER SINGLE HARDWARE componets, as in the cost of CPSU, GPU, RAM etc which is what this thread is about. You were the first to bring in labour,engineers, exectuves(...) stuff into the thread.

And you obvioulsy do care since you took your time to post your condescending, off topic post, so dont even try to spin that.

And thats pretty rich coming from you.  Compare your post/modertation history with mine, and then come back to talk about fanboy war lens.

Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:
So nobody actually worked hours to assemble this... Free labor? And the R&D for like what, 2 to 3 years + all the very high paid executives/engineers/blahblahblah working on the dev.? did not cost a penny? Storage, shipping, support team (esp. with these "0.4%" failure rate lol), etc...

If 381$ is what the hardware only cost, then they are losing money on each unit for sure...

This is clearly about hardware specs only...jesus, cant you read the title of the thread? 

It's almost like the thought of Sony profiting on a sold machine makes you angry...hmmm

Yah and I was "clearly" responding to the whole thread (you know, the OP is not the ONLY thing you should read in a "thread") and responding the a lot of people saying Sony was selling the PS4 at profit... 

Jesus, now just sit down, take a breath and stop looking at every discussion with your Sony vs Microsoft war lens... I'm not attacking Sony and I do not care if they make profit out of it or not lol

Yes, the whole thread where people were talking about profits PER SINGLE HARDWARE componets, as in the cost of CPSU, GPU, RAM etc which is what this thread is about. You were the first to bring in labour,engineers, exectuves(...) stuff into the thread.

And you obvioulsy do care since you took your time to post your condescending, off topic post, so dont even try to spin that.

And thats pretty rich coming from you.  Compare your post/modertation history with mine, and then come back to talk about fanboy war lens.

people were talking about Sony selling the console at a profit, which they aren't yet... just saying.

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Rychussnik said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:

people were talking about Sony selling the console at a profit, which they aren't yet... just saying.

Sony’s PlayStation 4 Costs $381 to Build

''to build'' 

Kane1389 said:
Rychussnik said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:
Kane1389 said:
Imaginedvl said:

Sony’s PlayStation 4 Costs $381 to Build

''to build'' 

I know what the title is, but folks were making comments about Sony making a profit on each console sold.

Me gusta queso 

Around the Network

Where are retail + distribution margin ?

SnakeDrake said:
So this is Sony's first console with each unit making a profit(small as it may be)

No. It still makes a loss.

Think about it, in that $18 - where's the shipping costs? The R&D? The retailer's cut?  The margin for returned units (yes, you do pay for other people's machines breaking. If they were 100% reliable, it'd be cheaper again). The retailer's cut alone will be anywhere between $25-75 per unit. So I would imagine Sony is making a loss of about $80-150 on each console. Not brilliant, but MUCH better than PS4.

Honestly, everyone on this forum just thinks Sony pockets every penny of the retail price of every console and game. Not even close.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Wiped said:
SnakeDrake said:
So this is Sony's first console with each unit making a profit(small as it may be)

Think about it, in that $18 - where's the shipping costs? The R&D? The retailer's cut?  The margin for returned units (yes, you do pay for other people's machines breaking. If they were 100% reliable, it'd be cheaper again). The retailer's cut alone will be anywhere between $25-75 per unit. So I would imagine Sony is making a loss of about $80-150 on each console. Not brilliant, but MUCH better than PS4.

Honestly, everyone on this forum just thinks Sony pockets every penny of the retail price of every console and game. Not even close.

I think it was Ign, but they said that Sony makes a profit after a game is sold.

So, assuming that this report is correct, 381+ 60= 441$ total cost after shipping and other costs (i have no idea how much the other costs would be) 

So the average consumer gets the ps4 (400) + game (60)+ Ps+ (20)= 480$ rough estimate. the doesn't factor in the 2.4 attach rate, and my estimate on additional costs is probably off, but i don't think Sony  is really losing any money on PS4 .

Me gusta queso 

Rychussnik said:
Wiped said:
SnakeDrake said:

I think it was Ign, but they said that Sony makes a profit after a game is sold.

So, assuming that this report is correct, 381+ 60= 441$ total cost after shipping and other costs (i have no idea how much the other costs would be) 

So the average consumer gets the ps4 (400) + game (60)+ Ps+ (20)= 480$ rough estimate. the doesn't factor in the 2.4 attach rate, and my estimate on additional costs is probably off, but i don't think Sony  is really losing any money on PS4 .

Also add a $42 (60-18) on each additional controller sold. Considering the number of COD:G sold, there were probably a whole lotta those. That would make a nice profit right there.

oldbucsfan said:
Rychussnik said:
Wiped said:
SnakeDrake said:

Also add a $42 (60-18) on each additional controller sold. Considering the number of COD:G sold, there were probably a whole lotta those. That would make a nice profit right there.

true, i forgot about that, i think after someone picks up the ps4 and a game and ps+ (which just about everyone is going to do) Sony has made a small profit, 
accesories and other stuff is just added money.

Me gusta queso