By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sells 1m PS3s in UK (faster than PS2)

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
gebx said:
Every news report on this states SONY REVEALED, or SONY CONFIRMED.

GFK was not mentioned once. They are shipped numbers until otherwise confirmed.

Chart Track covers the UK and they have spoken in support of Sony's announcement, read the quotes from comments within this thread.

What I see is: The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 is to hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2. Notice the bolded part.

I already posted my views on this on the first page:

"They did not state the PS3 hasn't hit 1 million for the UK. The article uses the word "confirmed" which is something else than "denied". Likely they don't have their definate data ready to say: "Yes, today (or yesterday) at 1:35 PM the PS3 hit 1 million sold for the UK". But what Chart Track states is clearly in support of Sony's statement, not against."

The part where they use the word "confirmed" is in a statement from SCE UK, not from Chart Track. Given that sold/shipped has caused a lot of confusion in the past, and that the statement from Chart Track uses the future tense, I don't think we should jump to conclusions.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

So at worst case, PS3 outsold x360 in UK during January? GREAT. =)

Now, if 1 mln. sales are true too, then ps3 already reached 10 mln., GREAT!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I cannot believe that every single time one of these annoucements are made, someone tries to convince me that it's sold to consumers, not shipped to retailers. They argue adamantly, twisting the language and ignoring which source said what in order be right.

And every single time, it's shipped, not sold. Shipped, not sold, every single time. Has Sony ever, ever, ever reported Sold to consumers? And why would they? If they could have announced this during the Christmas season (when they would have hit 1 million shipped, if they're supposedly hitting 1 million sold now), they absolutely would have reported it then just like all of their other press releases.

Last time around, people became so adamantly convinced that these were sold-to-consumer figures that someone was LOLed at for suggesting otherwise. It was an entire contingent of regulars here, actually, and then Source went and embarrased everyone involved by simply asking Sony and having them say, explicitly, that they were shipped to retail figures, just like they always do, every single time. Do we really need to do that again? 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I cannot believe that every single time one of these annoucements are made, someone tries to convince me that it's sold to consumers, not shipped to retailers. They argue adamantly, twisting the language and ignoring which source said what in order be right.

And every single time, it's shipped, not sold. Shipped, not sold, every single time. Has Sony ever, ever, ever reported Sold to consumers? And why would they? If they could have announced this during the Christmas season (when they would have hit 1 million shipped, if they're supposedly hitting 1 million sold now), they absolutely would have reported it then just like all of their other press releases.

Last time around, people became so adamantly convinced that these were sold-to-consumer figures that someone was LOLed at for suggesting otherwise. It was an entire contingent of regulars here, actually, and then Source went and embarrased everyone involved by simply asking Sony and having them say, explicitly, that they were shipped to retail figures, just like they always do, every single time. Do we really need to do that again?

QFT. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the new people saying so, but along with that we have the same old club which doesn't seem to learn. It's like they spend hours reading this forum, and learn nothing!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Bodhesatva said:

According to gamasutra, they're confirmed to be sold to consumers.

Some of you guys might want to read that article aswell, instead of throwing tomato at the article by Gamesindustry.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Not always, Sony's announcement in 2007 of 2 million PS2s sold for the Benelux was sold to consumers. They congratulated the (estimated) 2 millionth PS2 owner (in Amsterdam) complete with media coverage.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@Bodhesatva, so Wii SOLD 1 mln. in 38 weeks, PS2 SOLD 1 mln. in 50 weeks,
and PS3 SHIPPED 1 mln. in range 38-50 weeks? WTF?

p.s. so PS3 reached 1 mln. in UK in 47 weeks, right? =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
gebx said:
Every news report on this states SONY REVEALED, or SONY CONFIRMED.

GFK was not mentioned once. They are shipped numbers until otherwise confirmed.

Chart Track covers the UK and they have spoken in support of Sony's announcement, read the quotes from comments within this thread.

What I see is: The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 is to hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2. Notice the bolded part.

I already posted my views on this on the first page:

"They did not state the PS3 hasn't hit 1 million for the UK. The article uses the word "confirmed" which is something else than "denied". Likely they don't have their definate data ready to say: "Yes, today (or yesterday) at 1:35 PM the PS3 hit 1 million sold for the UK". But what Chart Track states is clearly in support of Sony's statement, not against."

So everything they don't explicitly deny is true? Also they conform PS3 is outselling 360 in 2008, not the fact that PS3 passed 1M. Conforming 1 thing doesn't mean you confirm something else as well. Fact is the numbers from chart-track haven't reached 1M yet, as you state yourself in this post. So the only possible conclusion is: there is no conformation from chart-track!!!

I didn't see anybody bothered to count: last week reported by vgchartz (ending 9th Feb) was 47th PS3' week in UK.
If PS3 is to hit 1 milion mark before PS2 as Chart-Track says it has only 2 weeks left (it took 50 week to hit 1 mil for PS2 and many people in this thread said it's sold to customers).

Vgchartz has PS3 at 847k LTD and at 14k last week. No chance for hitting a milion faster than PS2 unless vgchartz numbers undertrack PS3 by at least 125k.

And just as in the past, this wouldn't be the first time where some news outlet "confirmed" it was sold-to-consumer. I will believe it when I see it from other sources. Every single freaking time we go through this.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">