By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sells 1m PS3s in UK (faster than PS2)

gebx said:
Every news report on this states SONY REVEALED, or SONY CONFIRMED.

GFK was not mentioned once. They are shipped numbers until otherwise confirmed.

Chart Track covers the UK and they have spoken in support of Sony's announcement, read the quotes from comments within this thread.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Wow thats a great performance for Sony !
Now vgchartz needs to update its figures for the UK :)

does this mean ps3 numbers are undertracked in the uk? because there seriously cant be 150k ps3's just lying in uk stores.

Before we get carried away about updating totals, lets not forget that EA recently released their 2007 hardware figures for Europe:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17206

In 2007, Electronic Arts estimates saw the Xbox 360 slipping into last place with 1.9 million unit sold. This compares to 2.8 million for the PlayStation 3, 3.1 million for the PSP, 3.8 million for the PlayStation 2, 4.8 million for the Wii and 8.7 million for the Nintendo DS.

MikeB said:
gebx said:

Chart Track covers the UK and they have spoken in support of Sony's announcement, read the quotes from comments within this thread.

What I see is: The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 is to hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2. Notice the bolded part.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ fishy joe, given that sony shipped 1m for launch and had sold 1m in 9 1/2 weeks, in the whole of Europe, makes be doubt that they only sold another 1.8 in 6 months, especially as we say they sold 3m. I would trust VG chartz over EA

SONY ALWAYS DOES SALES TO RETAIL!!!

why would this be different.. trust me if had a million shipped a month ago they would have announced 1 million then...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
gebx said:

What I see is: The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 is to hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2. Notice the bolded part.

I already posted my views on this on the first page:

"They did not state the PS3 hasn't hit 1 million for the UK. The article uses the word "confirmed" which is something else than "denied". Likely they don't have their definate data ready to say: "Yes, today (or yesterday) at 1:35 PM the PS3 hit 1 million sold for the UK". But what Chart Track states is clearly in support of Sony's statement, not against."

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

bigjon said:
SONY ALWAYS DOES SALES TO RETAIL!!!

why would this be different.. trust me if had a million shipped a month ago they would have announced 1 million then...

i don't think anybody is saying it's different. but if this is true, the vgchartz data is suggesting that ther are around 150k ps3 in the uk unsold. that's too many ps3's shipped to that country if the demand doesn't even need it.

MikeB said:
NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
gebx said:

I already posted my views on this on the first page:

"They did not state the PS3 hasn't hit 1 million for the UK. The article uses the word "confirmed" which is something else than "denied". Likely they don't have their definate data ready to say: "Yes, today (or yesterday) at 1:35 PM the PS3 hit 1 million sold for the UK". But what Chart Track states is clearly in support of Sony's statement, not against."

yeah, but your views don't mean squat

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)