By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - No More Heroes cracks 100k in North America in only three weeks

One of those 100,000 is mine, great game...if you have a Wii you owe it to yourself to get this gem.

UBISOFT BOYCOTT
Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Grand Theft Auto has quirky sidequests? Where?

No More heroes is basically a Hack N' Slash with Minigames.

Also Dynasty Warriors does have an economy system. (in some modes)

Many dynasty warriors games also do have quirky minigames.

Would Halo not be a FPS if after every stage you had to play a minigame to power up your guns? (Half of which involved shooting people in FPS mode.)

Also i'd guess 100K was already around double their expectations.  I mean, do some research on Suda 51 games. 

I don't know if one would consider them quirky, but there are many, many sidequests in GTA like Taxi Driving, EMT, Firefighting, Cops & Robbers, and so on and so forth. Saints Row upped it with real quirky ones like the whole insurance fraud aspect of the game.
NMH is still open ended, sandbox and so-forth, even if it does include strong hack-n-slash elements. So the GTA comparisons are certainly there. Was I kind of off in saying it's a GTA knock-off? Yes, a bit. But there are strong comparisons between the 2. Which is my reasoning as to why I question exactly why some think 100k is good - a similar title on the X360 would of most likely sold 100,000 first week in the US.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Kasz216 said:

Would Halo not be a FPS if after every stage you had to play a minigame to power up your guns? (Half of which involved shooting people in FPS mode.)

Also i'd guess 100K was already around double their expectations. I mean, do some research on Suda 51 games.

I don't know if one would consider them quirky, but there are many, many sidequests in GTA like Taxi Driving, EMT, Firefighting, Cops & Robbers, and so on and so forth. Saints Row upped it with real quirky ones like the whole insurance fraud aspect of the game.
NMH is still open ended, sandbox and so-forth, even if it does include strong hack-n-slash elements. So the GTA comparisons are certainly there. Was I kind of off in saying it's a GTA knock-off? Yes, a bit. But there are strong comparisons between the 2. Which is my reasoning as to why I question exactly why some think 100k is good - a similar title on the X360 would of most likely sold 100,000 first week in the US.

It really isn't though. Some modes of Dynasty Warriors are actually much more open ended. Seriously... actually play the game. It's much closer to DW then say... The Warriors. Which in of itself is closer to "Sandbox" play then No more heroes. Though in of itself is different as you can't get to a lot of stages and games without starting a mission.

There are tons of areas that only exist for one mission. The overworld map is basically a menu selection screen that drags out the game by making you drive places. Which it sadly needs since I beat the game in under 10 hours... while doing side jobs to make sure i got most of the cool clothes. As I liked to change my outfit between ranked matches and jobs.

Seriously, instead of argueing about this... find someone who has a wii and play the game. You'll see how wrong you are.

Also, If you think No More heroes would of sold 100,000 on the 360 first week i'd say you are seriously dreaming.

By the way. Sid Meyer's Pirates! is an actual sandbox game. Comparing it to GTA is also stupid.

Even games that would fall in the same genre often fail at comparisons.

If for example, a baseball game used the GTA overmap, and had some minigames where you earn money by doing odd jobs between games to power up your gear... like mowing the lawn... and basically the jobs in no more heroes...

is that a GTA clone to you?

The Gameplay is what's important. Not how you get to the gameplay.

There is zero gameplay in the actual open world. You can't steal anything, pick fights with people... pretty much do nothing but use your bike to get to gameplay segments. (And look for meatballs.)

You go to a building... then get a job.  Which is basically like any sports game where you pick a training and then do it for points.

mrstickball said:
Kasz216 said:

Also i'd guess 100K was already around double their expectations. I mean, do some research on Suda 51 games.

MrStickball, No More Heroes is nothing like GTA. The overworld is just a giant clunky menu system. As for the sales of the game, NMH has no ad campaign. That is the big reason for the slowness of sales but it is hardly a bomb. Look up the sales of Suda 51 titles and tell me it a bomb. 

Around the Network

I was thinking that a mod can't flame... How wrong I was :D

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Daileon said:

He's not flaming.

He's just horribly missinformed. The closest Suda 51 game to no more heroes is Killer 7. After looking how Killer 7 did on the Playstation 2... the Wii sales are quite miraculious.

I wasn't sure it would hit 100K including europe before it fell off the charts.

I'm actually surprised it charted at all actually.

Daileon said:

don't expect the mods to always be neutral all the time - theyhave their own tastes too

This may not be as well as we could hope for this game to sell, but it is about as well as we should have expected. Suda 51 makes interesting games which really don't appeal to a mainstream audience and he (rarely) receives any support from his publisher in terms of marketing. With how consistently it has been selling (even though, from what I have seen, few non-gaming stores stock it) it should easily pass 250,000 units shipped in North America, and if they're really lucky they might approach 400,000 or 500,000 ...

So it wasn't a joke post?

Someone get ioi - I think mrstickball's been hacked!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"