By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Rayman Legends steam sale!

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
VGhippy said:
Sighh, its a shame when a great game becomes the biggest flop of the year due to the decisions of the publisher... People should get this game, its quite fun even if it doesn't have the second screen experience... Or wait till the wiiU or vita has a sale

It's shipped/sold a million copies so far. How can it be the biggest flop of the year?

This was confirmed by Ubisoft, not VGChartz numbers.

Well I was looking at the vgchartz numbers when I made that comment but thats still kinda sad considering it sold only one million with an install base of over 160 million systems excluding PC... All I am saying is that it could have sold much more if they didn't make bad decisions

I don't see how it possibly could have sold "better" if they had left it as a Wii U exclusive, or just had really late ports to other platforms. I mean have you seen the sales of Wii U games lately? Only two games have topped 1 million units and they are both first party Nintendo games that have been in bundles. By far the biggest 3rd published party title is Zombie U with just over 500k, and that had a bundle as well as being a launch title. Even if the Wii U version would have sold double (on a smaller install base than when Legends actually launched, with less content) that would still only be 200K going by VGChartz numbers. Best case scenario the game would have sold half of what it did launching on all platforms.

If anything they should have never associated it with the Wii U at all as it has clearly hurt the sales of the game compared to Origins on all platforms.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:

Well I was looking at the vgchartz numbers when I made that comment but thats still kinda sad considering it sold only one million with an install base of over 160 million systems excluding PC... All I am saying is that it could have sold much more if they didn't make bad decisions

I don't see how it possibly could have sold "better" if they had left it as a Wii U exclusive, or just had really late ports to other platforms. I mean have you seen the sales of Wii U games lately? Only two games have topped 1 million units and they are both first party Nintendo games that have been in bundles. By far the biggest 3rd published party title is Zombie U with just over 500k, and that had a bundle as well as being a launch title. Even if the Wii U version would have sold double (on a smaller install base than when Legends actually launched, with less content) that would still only be 200K going by VGChartz numbers. Best case scenario the game would have sold half of what it did launching on all platforms.

If anything they should have never associated it with the Wii U at all as it has clearly hurt the sales of the game compared to Origins on all platforms.

I don't think anyone said that it should have been wiiU exclusive... All we are saying is that they should have sold it on the wiiU when it was ready and as they were getting sales from the wiiU, just bring it out 6 or so months later in september for the other consoles when those were ready instead of bringing it out all at the same time and delaying the wiiU version for no reason... People on the wiiU were really desperate for games so it would have sold more than it did now on the wiiU... I don't see how that could have hurt them

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I want to get it now but with the new consoles and the steam sale coming up I think I may just have to wait.......ergh tough decisions, tough decisions -_-

VGhippy said:
Sighh, its a shame when a great game becomes the biggest flop of the year due to the decisions of the publisher... People should get this game, its quite fun even if it doesn't have the second screen experience... Or wait till the wiiU or vita has a sale

It's shipped/sold a million copies so far. How can it be the biggest flop of the year?

Origins, with digital sales, should be close to 3.5m.

As Ubisoft was not used to failure this gen (they rolled on success with each and every game), the budget on legends must have been based on this.

So this is a flop, money speaking.

RenCutypoison said:
VGhippy said:

As Ubisoft was not used to failure this gen (they rolled on success with each and every game), the budget on legends must have been based on this.

We don't know what its budget was though, it could have been less than origins as they already had the game engine written. Also it's only been out for about 3 months, while Origins has has 2 years worth of steady sales.

So it's a 2D platformer that's reached a million in shipped/digital sales after only 3 months on the market. I can't believe that's not profitable. It's probably very profitable in fact. Especially as the engine is already written and owned by them so they don't have to spend royalties on it.

I think this game will hit the 2 million mark sometime next year. The steam sale probably just added another 50k sales alone over the last couple of days.

Around the Network

I don't think anyone said that it should have been wiiU exclusive... All we are saying is that they should have sold it on the wiiU when it was ready and as they were getting sales from the wiiU, just bring it out 6 or so months later in september for the other consoles when those were ready instead of bringing it out all at the same time and delaying the wiiU version for no reason... People on the wiiU were really desperate for games so it would have sold more than it did now on the wiiU... I don't see how that could have hurt them

Well that would have furthre hurt the other versions, stagering the release probably would have menat an even smaller marketing push for each wave of releases. The real mistake was developing the game as a Wii U exclusive in the first place, they should have had it ready for all platforms at the start. I guess they were banking on a Wii style success. Plus they used the extra time to add a bunch of extra levels so the game as a whole was better on all platforms for the delay.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I bought it at launch for $20 and it came with origins too :^)

Absolutely amazing game though, please buy it. The only downside is the double drm...which is a pretty big downside.

VGhippy said:
RenCutypoison said:

We don't know what its budget was though, it could have been less than origins as they already had the game engine written. Also it's only been out for about 3 months, while Origins has has 2 years worth of steady sales.

So it's a 2D platformer that's reached a million in shipped/digital sales after only 3 months on the market. I can't believe that's not profitable. It's probably very profitable in fact. Especially as the engine is already written and owned by them so they don't have to spend royalties on it.

I think this game will hit the 2 million mark sometime next year. The steam sale probably just added another 50k sales alone over the last couple of days.

2D is not as cheap as people think it is. That's why we went 3D.

First of all, 2D graphics have nothing to do with GPU, so you have to make it work with the engine. That was done with origins, but must have been reworked on Legends, given the revamped quality of assets.

The quality of assets AND their quantity, must have cost a lot too. I mean, every background is 2D painted and must be 100.000 pixels worth (10kx10k). Plus all the characters and costumes, and not half assed 2D animation (That's not FEZ !).

Finally, hitting 2 millions selling the game half priced wont make it profitable. If it happens only 2 months after release, that means something is wrong (even on steam).

Just bought it on Wii U for $28. I'm happy.