By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Can Explain Sonic Lost World's Poor Sales

Tagged games:

Seece said:
curl-6 said:
Seece said:
Why is there always an excuse that lies on the developer and publisher??? "Didn't market enough" "Went multiplatform" ect ect

They're not excuses, they're reasons. Everything happens for a reason.

No, an excuse is to lessen the blame on the real culprit.

Whch isn't the case here. Poor marketing and reviews are the real culprits.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
People stop saying it flopped

The 4 Sonic games on Wii had an average FW of 38k In USA, 17k in Europe and 5k in Japan which totals 60k. These games went on to have average lifetime sales of just under 1.8 million.

Sonic Lost World had a FW of 28k in USA, 10k in Europe and 2k in Japan which totals 40k. If this game has similar legs as the Wii Sonic games then it should sell around 1.2m which isnt bad.

The part you're neglecting to mention here is that those sonic games on the Wii saw an average increase in week 2 of 51.3% in Europe.  Giving an average second week of 25k.  In comparison Lost World dropped 58% second week in Europe to 4.3k sales.  For the third week the Wii sonic games ticked up to 30.5k while Lost World decreased to 4k.  Considering Chart Track shows a large drop in week 4 (3rd to 9th in the Wii U chart, Batman at 6th was around 830 sales) of at least 44% in the UK compared to VGC numbers, it doesn't look like the legs are coming anywhere close to the Wii games.

In three weeks it went from being 59% of the Wii average in Europe to only being 26%.  If a similar thing were to happen worldwide, it would bring that 1.2m down to 529k.

Sonic is not that relevant nowdays, I was always a alex kidd man myself...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

People criticize companies for sending their titles out to die by releasing at the same time as other mega-titles but the companies have already done their research. It may be outdated, though. They stated long ago that releasing a game in the last three months of a year greatly improves sales. In fact, sales of games and consoles from Oct-Dec typically exceed game sales of the other nine months combined.

That's why we always see games like Rayman Origins or Beyond Good and Evil going up against the big guys. Or Gears of War 3/Uncharted releasing at the end of the year to maximize profits. Gaming media have long complained about this stating "Gamers like to play games all year around" or "Why not release games in the summer?". Only recently, with great games being delayed or with titles like Mass Effect 3 and Red Dead Redemption have companies seen that huge games can do huge numbers releasing early in the year. Still seems that most prefer to launch at the end of the year for the guaranteed sales. Someone has to lose, though.

Despite the lukewarm reviews, I think Sonic is still a big name and it will go on to sell decently.

Yakuzaice said:
zorg1000 said:
People stop saying it flopped

The 4 Sonic games on Wii had an average FW of 38k In USA, 17k in Europe and 5k in Japan which totals 60k. These games went on to have average lifetime sales of just under 1.8 million.

Sonic Lost World had a FW of 28k in USA, 10k in Europe and 2k in Japan which totals 40k. If this game has similar legs as the Wii Sonic games then it should sell around 1.2m which isnt bad.

The part you're neglecting to mention here is that those sonic games on the Wii saw an average increase in week 2 of 51.3% in Europe.  Giving an average second week of 25k.  In comparison Lost World dropped 58% second week in Europe to 4.3k sales.  For the third week the Wii sonic games ticked up to 30.5k while Lost World decreased to 4k.  Considering Chart Track shows a large drop in week 4 (3rd to 9th in the Wii U chart, Batman at 6th was around 830 sales) of at least 44% in the UK compared to VGC numbers, it doesn't look like the legs are coming anywhere close to the Wii games.

In three weeks it went from being 59% of the Wii average in Europe to only being 26%.  If a similar thing were to happen worldwide, it would bring that 1.2m down to 529k.

Thats a good point, I do believe tho that if and when Wii U gets a nice holiday boost, this will be one of the games that benefits from it greatly and should see decent legs going into next year. Sonic usually does best in America so its legs there will be more important in the long term. This game should still be able to cross 1m.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Hibern81 said:
xJbownagex said:

This may be old news, but whatever. You may/ may not know that Sonic Lost World flopped. HARD. Selling roughly 38,000 in America it's first week. For a game that everyone was hyping up to be a system seller, that is atrocious. But, this time poor reception and the Wii U's install base weren't to blame.

Sega did a TERRIBLE job marketing this game. I think I saw one television ad, no website ads, and only one standee in a Gamestop. Not only was the game poorly marketed, it was poorly planned. Why..why would you launch an exclusive title for a system that doesn't have many users THE SAME DAY AC4 AND BF4 come out. Not to mention, Wii Party U (not that that did much better either, however it did great in Japan.) had just come out as well as Arkham Origins. Sending that game out at that point is suicide. Even worse is the 3DS version, which is probably due to the aftermath of Pokemon X/Y.

I expect atleast the game to have some sort of legs, hopefully long enough ones to atleast get to 500k, but Sega should've re-evaluated and sent the game out later than the planned release date. I feel like early December would've been good, as it would've filled in for Donkey Kong.

Just wondering if you've had a chance to play it, and if you would recommend the purchase?  A lot of the reviews were less than flattering, making me think twice about buying it at full price.

Great game, frustrating at times, but actually quite nice. Where the game shines, IT REALLY SHINES. Some of the levels are the most well designed sonic levels I've seen...others eh not so much.

Worth a purchase but I'd reccomended waiting till it drops to $40 because it's a love/hate game.

To make the point, I forgot about this and only checked its meta and sales only after having read the thread.

But in the end, it comes down to Nintendo exclusivity....you don't back the horse that is allready tired out the gate

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.