By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone Shadow Fall metacritic FLOP CONFIRMED: 73 on 17 reviews

Ssenkahdavic said:
Lawlight said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
Just based on reading these reviews (never played the game nor really care to) I gotta wonder at their rating systems. Something just seems off and Im not sure what it is.

Take the IGN review, they sure make it sound better than the score they gave. I wonder if this is a new trend in scoring maybe? We will find out soon!

I think it's a trend of outlets trying to be harsher to attract more hits. Remember how Edge was well-known for their harsh reviews? How many hits does the guy who constantly gives Sony games 2/10 or 3/10 got from those reviews? Pretty sure it's more than if he gave the game the regular 8/10 or 9/10.

I would welcome harsher reviews moving forward (No one will EVER convince me that GTA IV deserved 10s.....)  One of the reviews I read was literally "We love the game, but it is not what we wanted so we are going to score it poorly"  Really not sure which one it was, but I hope that is NOT the trend of reviews moving forward. 

I agree with you (and I said the exact same thing about GTA IV). The issue is the constant bias and conflict on interest in the gaming media.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
Kane1389 said:
Salnax said:
What bothers me is that, even without anything resembling a killer app at launch, the PS4 will likely sell gangbusters. I have no problem with the PS4 winning the 8th gen, but I'd like it if Sony earned it.

Building the most powerfull hardware at cheaper price is not earning it?

Taking the safe route and riding off competitors mistakes is arguable that it isn't earned but just winning by default :P

I can't stress the term "arguable" enough here.

I have always said that while Sony does make great consoles and even greater exclusives, they have never dominated because they were revolutionary outstanding.  The competition just sucked SOOOOOOOOO bad.

Example:  Gamecube.

They dominated because of the third party support.

Ssenkahdavic said:
KingofTrolls said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

I would welcome harsher reviews moving forward (No one will EVER convince me that GTA IV deserved 10s.....)  One of the reviews I read was literally "We love the game, but it is not what we wanted so we are going to score it poorly"  Really not sure which one it was, but I hope that is NOT the trend of reviews moving forward. 

Exactly it is. Reviev is nothing more than opinion.

I have no problem with reviews being opinions, as of course they are, but in that exact type of review.  Its dishonest to say you love something then bash it because you wanted it to be different. 

That is the other side of the internet, unfortunately. (Good) journalism is on the way out. Everyboy with a facebook/Twitter account thinks s/he is now a "journalist". Reviews have come down to subjectivity and, let's say, lack of "knowledge of the greater picture".

In the good old days of journals, you could to a good degree almost tell how a bad review comes about in a particular journal by simply counting the number of ads the producer would have in that journal. In the Internet, that is more difficult to figure out (except with a certain P**n site).

Lawlight said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
Kane1389 said:
Salnax said:
What bothers me is that, even without anything resembling a killer app at launch, the PS4 will likely sell gangbusters. I have no problem with the PS4 winning the 8th gen, but I'd like it if Sony earned it.

Taking the safe route and riding off competitors mistakes is arguable that it isn't earned but just winning by default :P

I have always said that while Sony does make great consoles and even greater exclusives, they have never dominated because they were revolutionary outstanding.  The competition just sucked SOOOOOOOOO bad.

+1 for Lawlight.

3rd parties saved sonys arse during their first 2 gens on the market, simple as that.

Lawlight said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
Kane1389 said:
Salnax said:

Seriously before you spout that off think of their competition from the consumer's point of view:

XBOX:  

-Games looked a little better

-It was  huge with a hard to use controller

-Within a few months of its launch it cost $100 more than the now $200 PS2

-The PS2 had already been out for 19 months!!!

Gamecube:

-Games looked the same

-It couldn't play DVD's, CD's, or other media

-It looked like a Hasbro Kids Toy

-Within months of lauch the PS2 was the same price

-The PS2 had already been out for 18 months!!!

Around the Network
Ronster316 said:

+1 for Lawfight.

3rd parties saved sonys arse during their first 2 gens on the market, simple as that.

Saved is a big word considering that Sony-developed games built the PS brand when the first PS came out. Gran Turismo 1 & 2 and the 2 best selling PS1 game. They developed Crash Bandicoot and published Spyro The Dragon. They also published FF7 and FF8 in the west.

Mr Puggsly said:
BHR-3 said:
terrible reviews

i cant see the franchise continue past PS4(which im not sad about) its a launch title just like motorstorm and resistance where are they now?

I disagree. Killzone SF will still sell a few million units.  Sony and MS generally doesn't quit on IPs that sell that well.

None of the Motorstorm games sold great. The first did high numbers because of bundles.

Resistance 3 had modest sales, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to bring that series back eventually.

Motorstorm averages 1.5M per game though.

Published= BOUGHT.

Sony didn't have jack shit in terms of quality exclusives until Gran Turismo came along.

they rode the 3rd party waves for at least a good 5-6 years Gran Turismo aside.

Captain_Tom said:

Seriously before you spout that off think of their competition from the consumer's point of view:

XBOX:  

-Games looked a little better

-It was  huge with a hard to use controller

-Within a few months of its launch it cost $100 more than the now $200 PS2

-The PS2 had already been out for 19 months!!!

Gamecube:

-Games looked the same

-It couldn't play DVD's, CD's, or other media

-It looked like a Hasbro Kids Toy

-Within months of lauch the PS2 was the same price

-The PS2 had already been out for 18 months!!!

PS2 dominated because of the third-parties but won because of the brand. The Xbox and GC could have come out on the same day and would still have got trashed.

Ronster316 said:
Published= BOUGHT.

Sony didn't have jack shit in terms of quality exclusives until Gran Turismo came along.

they rode the 3rd party waves for at least a good 5-6 years Gran Turismo aside.

Don't forget that the PS1 only truly took off in 1997. And say what you want about the published/bought, etc but they played a big part in making FF the series it is today.