By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Gaming Series Has Continuously Improved For Multiple Generations?

Warcraft (the RTS series) and Mario Kart if you exclude both the first and the last game.

It's honestly pretty hard to think of franchises that have sticked around for a long time and gotten consistently better without taking a dip in quality at some point down the line.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
adriane23 said:

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Mario (platformers)
Virtua Fighter
NBA 2K
Persona
Ratchet & Clank
Hot Shots Golf
Yakuza

I want to throw in Guilty Gear and Armored Core in, but GG Asuka and AC V are trash.

So you thought All 4 One and Full Frontal Assult were better than the future titles?

I've never heard of those games. What are you talking about sir?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Do people not like Brawl? I thought it was well liked.

I concede that Melee is, mechanically, more balanced. But I take a holistic approach to Brawl. It's packed with content, from the "vault," to the multiplayer modes, to the single-player campaign, which surpasses anything seen in Melee or the N64 original.

I agree that if you look at it by the sum of its parts, Brawl is better than Melee because there's literally more there.

But no, I did not enjoy Brawl at all.  Melee remains my go-to game to play at parties and my copy of Brawl got traded in a long time ago (I would've kept it had the online been more stable.  I prefer Double Dash to MK Wii but I keep Wii to play online every now and again).

if people want to mention pokemon then we might as well mention every single multi-gen game except tetris and pacman.
they all have improved somewhat, but i think OP meant the ones with the biggest changes each gen.

I think GTA has had the biggest changes from generation to generation and it will continue as they always want to enable pretty much anything you could do in real life, but its only technology holding them back.

adriane23 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
adriane23 said:

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Mario (platformers)
Virtua Fighter
NBA 2K
Persona
Ratchet & Clank
Hot Shots Golf
Yakuza

I want to throw in Guilty Gear and Armored Core in, but GG Asuka and AC V are trash.

So you thought All 4 One and Full Frontal Assult were better than the future titles?

Not sure if serious or wanna pretend like they don't exist lol.  Behold the worst Ratchet and Clank games of all time!

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Do people not like Brawl? I thought it was well liked.

I concede that Melee is, mechanically, more balanced. But I take a holistic approach to Brawl. It's packed with content, from the "vault," to the multiplayer modes, to the single-player campaign, which surpasses anything seen in Melee or the N64 original.

I agree that if you look at it by the sum of its parts, Brawl is better than Melee because there's literally more there.

But no, I did not enjoy Brawl at all.  Melee remains my go-to game to play at parties and my copy of Brawl got traded in a long time ago (I would've kept it had the online been more stable.  I prefer Double Dash to MK Wii but I keep Wii to play online every now and again).

Fair enough. Although I think Brawl is the better game, my friends and I play Melee a lot more often. Same goes for Double Dash. Both those games are required playing with my hometown friends.

Mensrea said:

Well I understand where you are coming from kind of, but for me it was the best installment of the franchise.

I liked the encouragement of speed runs and maximizing your time.  It appealed to me.

3 Captains was a fun thing that takes time to master, but by the end I was dominating with three.

I thought the bossfights were the best in the series. I liked just about every one.

The music was just so beautiful. 

Flying pikmin squad was a lot of fun for me.

Challenge and multiplayer modes added at least 20 hours of playtime.

Anywho, I can see liking Pikmin 2 better, but I really thought that 3 was a worthy successor. Oh and it was pretty!

The three captains and the "go here" function were incredible!  Really awesome additions to the series.  And you're right, the boss battles were phenomenal.  I was sad that there were so few, but I love how they made them more grand with their own cutscenes and whatnot.  Made it so much more epic.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Grand Theft Auto.
Gran Turismo

KingdomHeartsFan said:
adriane23 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
adriane23 said:

Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Mario (platformers)
Virtua Fighter
NBA 2K
Persona
Ratchet & Clank
Hot Shots Golf
Yakuza

Not sure if serious or wanna pretend like they don't exist lol.  Behold the worst Ratchet and Clank games of all time!

Sorry, all I see is two blank images.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

I would argue that Warcraft has improved. WC2 was pretty awesome for it's time, and I liked that original direction of choosing one side, and playing that side the whole way through. There were a few good things about WC3, but it got way too cinematic/story focused, and I didn't care for being forced to play every side, just to further plot points. Then WoW came along, and that's all it's been ever since. So no, it hasn't improved, it's gone sharply downhill.