By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

Smeags said:
Hint for #1:

It's Smeags favorite game ever! :D

Other than that, the game is nothing special. Just a greedy company making its poor fans pay money for a glorified expansion pack.

Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Around the Network
Korppi said:
Kantor said:

I'm way behind, so I'll just leave all of these up here to be guessed in their own time. I consider clues 1-7 to be especially difficult.

11: One of the finest games of all time, but it's best known for its mod and its successor.
10: Three alarms and you're out? This isn't a video game.

9: Sometimes radically overhauling your game can work wonders as part of a project to bring it back to life.

8: Showed that this developer still has talent, and does actually listen to fan feedback (about something they screwed up pretty badly first time around)

7: This one is dedicated to all of the androids in nearby space by a popular robotic singer.

6: Turn back time and have your revenge...almost.

5: Citrus and root vegetables

4: I'd tell him to shrug.

3: Heads or heads?

2: He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone

1: You don't need a clue for this one.Or if you do, just raise your weapon in the air...

11. Half-Life! Warcraft III

6. God of War II?

5. Portal 2? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyLUU3O4zW8)

As for the rest, no idea. Except for Up Your Arsenal, but Kresnik already got it.

All correct.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

AshKetchum1992 said:
Smeags said:
Hint for #1:

Other than that, the game is nothing special. Just a greedy company making its poor fans pay money for a glorified expansion pack.

Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Smeags said:
AshKetchum1992 said:
Smeags said:
Hint for #1:

Super Mario Galaxy 2?

I don't understand, am I wrong or right?

AshKetchum1992 said:
Smeags said:

I don't understand, am I wrong or right?

You're clever, so you're right! Hooray!

Around the Network

Well it's past midnight here. Happy New Years Eve everyone! ^_^

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Wii (2010)
EAD Tokyo

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the greatest game of all time.

What? You were expecting more? Well fine, take a seat and let ol' Smeagsy remind you of what an astonishing gaming feat Super Mario Galaxy 2 is. The original Galaxy was a breath of fresh air. A reminder of why I played video games and the immense joy one could have with a controller in one's hand. Super Mario Galaxy 2, on the other hand, is that joy tempered to perfection. That unbridled creativity forged to focused, tempered gameplay genius. Where every world offered something unique and celebrated that uniqueness with such passion and joy that it was impossible not to have a smile on my face for the entire duration of the game. The music, the graphics, the aformentioned tried and oh so true gameplay... it all came together to show us that this medium can achieve so much when you aim for the stars.

So here's to you Super Mario Galaxy 2, and everything you've given to this lowly gamer. Cheers indeed. *raises goblet*

Zero guesses given.

#2. Xenoblade Chronicles

I can't explain everything great about Xenoblade Chronicles in a mere few paragraphs, but I think I know what attracts me to this RPG above all others:

1. Actual straight-up rewards for exploration. Not just the collectible and questing crap found in other RPGs (which is still very present in Xenoblade anyway).
2. The game world is damn cool. Why wouldn't I want to explore every freaking nook and cranny?
3. Lots and lots of gameplay depth that I still can't wrap my head around.
4. The sort of fantasy and sci-fi genre combination which Final Fantasy used to be great at, but now pales in comparison.
5. Similar driving themes to Xenogears, but with storytelling and gameplay ambitions actually fully realized this time.
6.  In main quest alone, Xenoblade's length and consistency shames almost everything else in the genre.
7. The soundtrack.

It's the first game to truly challenge my #1 favorite ever since, well, I first finished my #1 favorite.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee (4)

No other multiplayer game has consumed as much of my time as Melee has.  This game seems to somehow get better with time.  While it lacks some of the features of its sequel, it simply has a better feel to the gameplay that made it far more addictive.  The characters were unbalanced at times but never so much that it really mattered except at the highest levels of play.  There were a number of features tailored to groups larger than the number of controllers available that allowed you to rotate people into the game without figuring out whose turn it is to sit out.  One of my favorite arts of Melee was that you almost never felt like the characters weren't doing what you had wanted them to.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

Kresnik said:
Clue for my #3 - my hometown's greatest development studio remaster stuff from their 2 PSP games in beautiful 1080p 60fps, becoming one of the few teams to actually manage that achievement on the PS3.

Wipeout HD Fury?

brendude13 said:

Hints for my top 3, which will be completed tomorrow:

#3 - Diamonds are nobodies best friend in this game. Neither are rubies, emeralds and sapphires.

#2 - What doesn't kill him makes him stronger, apart from a shot from a rail cannon and 6 magnum bullets.

#1 - The ACTUAL finest example of cross-dressing in videogames (Kresnik was oh-so wrong).

3 - Final Fantasy IX, even if sapphires boost Fenril.

2 - Resident Evil 3?

1 - I'd go with Persona 4, even if Suikoden V deserves it more:

Poor Roog, Rahal at least has beauty and decent magic, but he sucks on all fronts.