By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

#5 - Pokemon (Heart)Gold / (Soul)Silver (Gameboy Colour / Nintendo DS)

*phew*

This game was my childhood. You would not believe the amount of cheap AA batteries I used up playing this game over the years.

Although this was my first Pokemon game, and I'm probably looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, I do believe that this is the definitive Pokemon game. It had not only Johto, which I consider to be the best region, but you also got to re-visit Kanto and practically play Pokemon Blue / Red again! Each town in Johto was distinctive and memorable, and crossing the ocean for the first time absolutely blew my mind. This game had the iconic original 150 Pokemon as well as 100 new welcome additions, which I feel is just the right amount. I also thought the new legendary Pokemon were great, and chasing the legendary dogs was a fun challenge. Pokemon breeding was added, which was a very useful and entertaining game mechanic. One of the best things about this game though is its difficulty. All of the other Pokemon games I've played seem like push overs in comparison, but in certain areas this game put up a real fight, and being "whited out" was pretty common.

Around the Network

#4 - Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)

This was one of the very first games I put into my Playstation when I was 4 years old. Although I found replaying the first few sections of the game fun, I couldn't progress any further, as I didn't actually have the game case (Metal Gear Solid fans will know what this means ). It wasn't until around age 8 that I re-bought the game and actually completed it. The game was like nothing I had experienced before, and almost felt like an action movie. I loved everything about it: The crazy boss battles, the intense sneaking, the emotional story, the cutscenes, even the codec conversations, which would have to be pretty darn awesome to hold the attention of an 8 year old. Shadow Moses would also easily have to be one of the most atmospheric locations in any game, from the intense and heavy music played in the hangars and warehouses, to the eerie silence and wolf howls out in the open. Anybody who got the bad ending would also know why I consider this to be one of the most emotional games of all time.

Hints for my top 3, which will be completed tomorrow:

#3 - Diamonds are nobodies best friend in this game. Neither are rubies, emeralds and sapphires.

#2 - What doesn't kill him makes him stronger, apart from a shot from a rail cannon and 6 magnum bullets.

#1 - The ACTUAL finest example of cross-dressing in videogames (Kresnik was oh-so wrong).

brendude13 said:

#6 - Final Fantasy XIII (Playstation 3)

Hey.  Since you like the game, I'm curious what you think of the review.  Not because it's a bad score of the game, but your opinion on the review itself.  Also, in my opinion a 6/10 is good, 4 and 5/10 are meh, but playable and may have good qualities.  FF13 didn't get any of those scores in the overall, but gameplay did get a 6/10.  Just pointing it out though so you'll know the score isn't as bad as it seems. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173032

kupomogli said:
brendude13 said:

Hey.  Since you like the game, I'm curious what you think of the review.  Not because it's a bad score of the game, but your opinion on the review itself.  Also, in my opinion a 6/10 is good, 4 and 5/10 are meh, but playable and may have good qualities.  FF13 didn't get any of those scores in the overall, but gameplay did get a 6/10.  Just pointing it out though so you'll know the score isn't as bad as it seems. 

I saw that you gave it a 3 in presentation, I got really made and broke a pencil.

I can't give it a full read through now, but I will tomorrow and tell you what I think.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
AshKetchum1992 said:
I'll give you a hint for my #1: during the first hours of the game you play as a character that is on vacation (very easy:P)

Kingdom Hearts II

Yes!! that was really easy, I'm not good at giving elaborated hints

brendude13 said:
kupomogli said:
brendude13 said:

I saw that you gave it a 3 in presentation, I got really made and broke a pencil.

I can't give it a full read through now, but I will tomorrow and tell you what I think.

I edited how I reviewed games so that graphics and music have little to no effect on scoring.  While graphics and music are in presentation, they will rarely effect the score now.  This way a game can't just get a good score based on good graphics.  A game can only lose a point or two if  the graphics are an issue.  Like maybe the game is zoomed in too close and it screws with gameplay, a lot of things you might not be able to make out because of poor graphics, etc.  The presentation got a 3/10 because, in my opinion, they put so much story in the game, but the story was just really bad.  If the game isn't story driven and has almost no story, and the story is average, it might get more points because the game is more gameplay focused.  Though being more gameplay focused I'd deal harsher on the gameplay.

It's basically a way for games to be harder to score really good scores unless they're really good.  And almost no game will score a perfect 10.  I say almost no game, because I'm going to review my favorite game and post the review when listing my number one game.  Also videos.  I played through the game twice in the last week.  It's not very short either.  Absolutely amazing game and if you're into the genre that it is, then I think anyone should play it.

2. Sonic & Knuckles
Sega Genesis (1994)
Sonic Team

Sonic & Knuckles takes the perfection of Sonic the Hedgeghog 2 and tweaks it so that the heavenly angels sing of its glory. Seriously though, Sonic & Knuckles adds minor tweaks and layers so that it reaches the tip top of gaming experiences. Honed and true gameplay, amazing level design, an amazing soundtrack, and some of the best pacing in gaming. From beginning to end it tells a masterful story of adventure, despair, hope, and ultimate victory in the face of impossible odds. All of course told entirely through the gameplay, something only this medium is capable of. I also have to add that this game not only was a stellar game on its own, but also enhanced previous sonic games through its lock on technology. Playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3 created a new, fresh take on each adventure, and combining it the latter game created a true epic of platforming goodness. In the end, Sonic & Knuckles is more than a childhood memory or a rose tinted good time, as it represents the best that gaming has to offer.

F0X said:

Eh, I feel like doing a hint.

Hint for #2: You can see much of this game's second half by glancing at its cover.

Another hint: Plot Device Sword.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Hint for #1:

It's Smeags favorite game ever! :D

Other than that, the game is nothing special. Just a greedy company making its poor fans pay money for a glorified expansion pack.