By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DS4 Stick Problem Update: GAFers Are Reporting Similar Issues

No problems with mine so far, whats this talk of the R2 and L2 problems?

Around the Network

- Spam removed -

Funny how it was an issue prior to launch when only accessories and some games were available to purchase and 100,000 or so pads were sold (or less?), but now the console has launched with over 2 million sold, there aren't swathes of people posting about messed up controllers...... you'd think there would be 20x as many people reporting such issues, but yet i'm hard pressed to find any new cases.

I just noticed that my controller left stick is starting to wear out pretty badly. I have around 100 hours of BF4 and the part that is starting to split is where I place my thumb on the side of the controller.

I think its because it's the stick I use to sprint in game lol

Seems its down to sweat.

Reports stil happening about this. But it seems to be players with more sweaty hands.

Players Complain PS4's Analog Sticks Wearing Down Fast

There's a strong chance the damage is caused by sweat though.

by Stephen Daly on 23rd Dec, 2013

Over on Reddit a number of PlayStation 4 owners have reported that the analog sticks on their DualShock 4 controllers have worn down significantly since getting their console on November 15th. 

It seems to be a problem affecting only some users, certainly both of my DualShock 4s look brand new despite a lot of use, and it's unclear how many players have been impacted. 

If your analog sticks are starting to fray there seems to be a strong chance it's down to sweat and while there's not a whole lot you can do about that (aside from maybe being a little less excited when you play) there is a relatively cheap solution to prevent further damage. Amazon sells controller thumb grips from ProGamer in packs of four which, while designed for the PS3, should fit the PS4's analog sticks like a glove. 

Of course, it's a shame if you're one of those impacted and hopefully Sony makes more durable, or at least sweat resistant, analog sticks for future DualShocks. 

As you can see from the image above it seems the analog stick was grinded pretty hard against the casing of the controller and really, there should be no need to be quite so forceful - the DualShock 4 is a pretty responsive controller after all. 

The DualShock 4 was designed with the input of major first person shooter developers.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/19537/article/players-complain-ps4-s-triggers-wearing-down-fast/

Around the Network

Irrespective of the motive of the OP, this is an issue that should be highlighted. I certainly would want Sony to address this ASAP if it was rampant. Hopefully it is only a batch that has the problem and future production won't be effected.

Zero issues with mine so far.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

It blows me away what people do to products. I play so much more than anyone I know, and I constantly have friends and acquaintances that comes to me with consoles issues. Whether its Sony, MS Nintendo, Apple products, android phones, etc. What are people doing to their electronics?

On this specific subject. I have at least 100 hours on two different DS4's plus some 2 player with friends and family, and they still look like the day they came out of the box. Between, Resogun, Killzone, and NFS those sticks have been through a pretty decent beating already.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
It blows me away what people do to products. I play so much more than anyone I know, and I constantly have friends and acquaintances that comes to me with consoles issues. Whether its Sony, MS Nintendo, Apple products, android phones, etc. What are people doing to their electronics?

On this specific subject. I have at least 100 hours on two different DS4's plus some 2 player with friends and family, and they still look like the day they came out of the box. Between, Resogun, Killzone, and NFS those sticks have been through a pretty decent beating already.

You make it sound like we chew on it and just like to mess with our products. I got over 100 hours playing bf4 and the constant rough motions you do in game is what has produced that problem with that side of the stick. It's the only part that has any damage to it because it's the sprint button and everyone knows how much sprinting you do in bf4.

No problems here so far, but i do find the very soft rubber a little bit annoying after a while the thumbsticks become very slippery and slightly harder to use, mainly on fifa.