By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

i see.
So not all ps4/one games could be done in wii U.

KH3 could?

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
i see.

KH3 could?

At 1080p60fps NO but at 720p30fps with a few graphical downgrades sure. 

fatslob-:O said:

The original xbox had exclusive registers. That's something different to adding some eDRAM on a GPU. Your also forgetting other things in the newer consoles such as x86 architecture and I'm willing to bet that the developers also have a handle on the ibm broadway so there should be no noticeable increase in difficulty from the ibm espresso. BTW we probably do know what type of GPU architecture the wii u uses and it's probably VLIW 4/5. "Efficient console design" LMAO. I wonder what's so efficient about the WII U taking 1gb of ram for it's OS LOL. BTW the PS2 relied more on it's CPU/VUs to depend on transform and lighting as for the gamecube it's processor had more raw power than it's GPU but as for the xbox your only right on this part. 

Your last few lines make you really mad suspect. Bwahahaha.

More excuses about optimizations ? C'mon son, you yourself should know better than this. If the WII U truly had a more powerful GPU in almost every respect why is it getting flatened by some PS360 ports ? The WII U is indeed a next gen console but I think you further damaged control even more with those last few words. 

Going to comic con means someone mad huh well that's news to me, it's common knowledge consoles are more efficient with their specs then PCs it's how even after 7 years the 360/PS3 can run games at its specs compared to the higher requirements on PC, "LMAO" at that notion calls you out hard and you're starting to fall a part here. Your logic that developers have a handle on something previously so they should be perfect on new hardware is I'm sorry to say beyond misguided it simply doesn't work that way as the are a number of factors.

That's good about PS2/GC except they weren't the consoles I was talking about as they were the start of consoles using CPUs a lot more, older consoles were more GPU dependant. As for your last part it proves my earlier point and some of it is not even coherant.

jonathanalis said:
i see.

KH3 could?

hmm, good.

thats enough!

Wyrdness said:

The original xbox had exclusive registers. That's something different to adding some eDRAM on a GPU. Your also forgetting other things in the newer consoles such as x86 architecture and I'm willing to bet that the developers also have a handle on the ibm broadway so there should be no noticeable increase in difficulty from the ibm espresso. BTW we probably do know what type of GPU architecture the wii u uses and it's probably VLIW 4/5. "Efficient console design" LMAO. I wonder what's so efficient about the WII U taking 1gb of ram for it's OS LOL. BTW the PS2 relied more on it's CPU/VUs to depend on transform and lighting as for the gamecube it's processor had more raw power than it's GPU but as for the xbox your only right on this part. 

Your last few lines make you really mad suspect. Bwahahaha.

More excuses about optimizations ? C'mon son, you yourself should know better than this. If the WII U truly had a more powerful GPU in almost every respect why is it getting flatened by some PS360 ports ? The WII U is indeed a next gen console but I think you further damaged control even more with those last few words. 

Going to comic con means someone mad huh well that's news to me, it's common knowledge consoles are more efficient with their specs then PCs it's how even after 7 years the 360/PS3 can run games at its specs compared to the higher requirements on PC, "LMAO" at that notion calls you out hard and you're starting to fall a part here. Your logic that developers have a handle on something previously so they should be perfect on new hardware is I'm sorry to say beyond misguided it simply doesn't work that way as the are a number of factors.

That's good about PS2/GC except they weren't the consoles I was talking about as they were the start of consoles using CPUs a lot more, older consoles were more GPU dependant. As for your last part it proves my earlier point and some of it is not even coherant.

Sorry but that optimization excuse don't work out bra. The PS360 could out their own predecessors so why isn't the WII U doing the same thing to EVERY game. Even the PS4 and X1 could shit on their current gen counterparts easily bra. If the WII U had more bruteforce power to out the PS360 why ain't it performing better ? All that's needed to make a game look and run better is a significantly more powerful GPU an clearly the WII U lacks this. This generation ain't exactly over yet. Consoles altogether this generation started to use the GPU more and became more PC like in their philosophies and consoles altogether next generation are even dressed up PC's. Hell it's thanks to the WII Us different CPU that it ain't branded as a dressed up PC yet but that don't matter too much when much of it's power comes from an off the shelf PC GPU LMAO. If your referring to even older consoles like the PS1 and the N64 they also relied alot on CPU too and the N64 didn't even have a graphics processor! 

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
jonathanalis said:
i see.

KH3 could?

hmm, good.

thats enough!

It's just a matter of when square enix is going to decide to do it and they chose the X1 over the WII U. Hehehehe. 

Daisuke72 said:
Naum said:
Daisuke72 said:
The Wii U is more efficient than the PS3 and Xbox 360, and has more RAM as well, so of course it'll have better looking games, but honestly, just barely.

In short, Ninjablade was right, the Wii U is on par with current gen, Nintendo fans seriously owe him an apology.

please NB blade have never ever been right

and you know it... stop derailing the topic with trolling the world biggest joke  there ever was/been

Baaaaaahhh F*ck it

I'm better then 99% of you when it comes to games so... there...:)

Where was he wrong? The entire time he was telling Nintendo fans the Wii U's hardware is on par with current gen, and that turned out to be the case. The fans simply didn't like his persistance and will deny it, even tho games show otherwise.

Also I can't believe some people in this community really insult him like they do, he's another human being, not a white person in a Spike Lee movie. Grow up. 

He was treated that way because of how he expressed himself more than what he believed. He was not a victim, full stop.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Wyrdness said:

Then why are all three new consoles using off the shelf PC graphics cards then ? We all know that AMD doesn't have enough money to keep developing special GPU architectures LOL. Something tells me that you don't go to PC specific sites! I just go there to check out some news and reviews.

Your the one bringing out the jail card here LOL. I obviously acknowledged that the WII U can obtain better graphics. Why don't you go back a few pages and realize that. That "I game on PC" statement made you look mad suspect son LMAO. You still doin't get what I mean by that statement!

No I merely supported the that sentiment. Know the difference between "likely" and "concrete". I vouched for the former. 

There's no excuse for the WII U! The WII U became very close to a PC and a PC specifically depends on it's GPU to do the work for them in games just as the WII U is mostly dependent on it's GPU to do the same. The fact that it had to be specially optimized to take advantage of the newer architecture just goes to show you. A $100 dollar card at LAUNCH such as the hd 5670 is supposed to rape last gen consoles in terms of performance but apparently developers are having issues providing some clear advantage as shown in games like COD and batman. Especially in a game like call of duty! 

The one here scared is you. I can come to terms that the WII U may be weaker than the ps360 in some ways but as for you that's the different story. As for the rest, your copping out extremely hard LOL. Damage controlling about those ports LOLOL. You just showed your true intent here. The WII U shouldn't even have an issue if it was truly more powerful! Your damage controlling sounds something of that an apologist. The PS4 and X1 don't have issues outing their last gen counterparts so why should the WII U have any issues of doing it ? (You'll probably offer more damage controlling on this one.)

Oh dear you've shot yourself here, the original Xbox used off the shelf parts it's close to a PC right? The GPUs in all three consoles are custom, MS/Sony were supplied with a base GPU which they both did their own customizations to them hence why XB1 has bottlenecks, Wii U no one knows what it is, the new consoles use a GPGPU type architecture that makes development across platforms easier that's about the only main connection to PC it's so a game can be created on PC then easily ported down, the hardware how ever doesn't work in the same manner as PC it's still the same more efficient console design. You know what else used their GPUs more then their CPUs older consoles but are they close to PCs no.

From everything I've read the customizations are very minor. The architectures of both the PS4 and Xb1 chips are virtually identical to GPU hardware that's out already or about to come out on PC (GCN 2.0 has the features Sony used for GPGPU on PS4). The CPUs are both X86 and essentially two quad cores put together. Both consoles are more PC-like than ever before.

The main differences come from the shared pool of RAM and the other custom chips that support the main APU.

Scoobes said:
Wyrdness said:

Then why are all three new consoles using off the shelf PC graphics cards then ? We all know that AMD doesn't have enough money to keep developing special GPU architectures LOL. Something tells me that you don't go to PC specific sites! I just go there to check out some news and reviews.

Your the one bringing out the jail card here LOL. I obviously acknowledged that the WII U can obtain better graphics. Why don't you go back a few pages and realize that. That "I game on PC" statement made you look mad suspect son LMAO. You still doin't get what I mean by that statement!

No I merely supported the that sentiment. Know the difference between "likely" and "concrete". I vouched for the former. 

There's no excuse for the WII U! The WII U became very close to a PC and a PC specifically depends on it's GPU to do the work for them in games just as the WII U is mostly dependent on it's GPU to do the same. The fact that it had to be specially optimized to take advantage of the newer architecture just goes to show you. A $100 dollar card at LAUNCH such as the hd 5670 is supposed to rape last gen consoles in terms of performance but apparently developers are having issues providing some clear advantage as shown in games like COD and batman. Especially in a game like call of duty! 

The one here scared is you. I can come to terms that the WII U may be weaker than the ps360 in some ways but as for you that's the different story. As for the rest, your copping out extremely hard LOL. Damage controlling about those ports LOLOL. You just showed your true intent here. The WII U shouldn't even have an issue if it was truly more powerful! Your damage controlling sounds something of that an apologist. The PS4 and X1 don't have issues outing their last gen counterparts so why should the WII U have any issues of doing it ? (You'll probably offer more damage controlling on this one.)

Oh dear you've shot yourself here, the original Xbox used off the shelf parts it's close to a PC right? The GPUs in all three consoles are custom, MS/Sony were supplied with a base GPU which they both did their own customizations to them hence why XB1 has bottlenecks, Wii U no one knows what it is, the new consoles use a GPGPU type architecture that makes development across platforms easier that's about the only main connection to PC it's so a game can be created on PC then easily ported down, the hardware how ever doesn't work in the same manner as PC it's still the same more efficient console design. You know what else used their GPUs more then their CPUs older consoles but are they close to PCs no.

From everything I've read the customizations are very minor. The architectures of both the PS4 and Xb1 chips are virtually identical to GPU hardware that's out already or about to come out on PC (GCN 2.0 has the features Sony used for GPGPU on PS4). The CPUs are both X86 and essentially two quad cores put together. Both consoles are more PC-like than ever before.

The main differences come from the shared pool of RAM and the other custom chips that support the main APU.

Don't listen to that fool. It's not like he reads up and study on alot of these things anyway. Let him think what he wants to think. 

Wyrdness said:

it's common knowledge consoles are more efficient with their specs then PCs it's how even after 7 years the 360/PS3 can run games at its specs compared to the higher requirements on PC, "LMAO" at that notion calls you out hard and you're starting to fall a part here. Your logic that developers have a handle on something previously so they should be perfect on new hardware is I'm sorry to say beyond misguided it simply doesn't work that way as the are a number of factors.

Nope.avi

Consoles aren't always more efficient.
Take Oblivion for instance, it can run on PC hardware that's a fraction of the Xbox 360's and still run better.
Take Minecraft, on a PC that's equipped similar to the Xbox 360, you can still have unlimited worlds and a heap more players.
Take the origional Crysis on PC, it had far more foliage and effects than the console version on hardware that was equivalent to the consoles.
Take pretty much every Call of Duty, it could run on hardware similar to the consoles with better image quality.
Take Bioshock 1+2, it could run on PC hardware that's significantly less than the consoles and still look better.

I could continue on forever, but you get the idea.
If you take a game like Battlefield 3 or 4, it's almost an entirely new game on the PC when compared to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, you get larger maps, more players, higher resolution, better framerates, effects such as Tessellation, massively improved textures and other bonuses, of course that comes at the cost of better hardware being required.
Games like Civilization and StarCraft 2 are actually impossible on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 due to the lack of CPU horsepower.

Mantle however, will remove the API overhead, thus allowing PC's to be as efficient as the next generation of consoles when it comes to graphics tasks, optimisation for the CPU isn't really required considering the multiples faster CPU speeds the PC has had for years, even when compared to next generation.

The PC is also not limited to the horrible and old 1920x1080@60fps, Steam also provides games for cheap, especially during sales.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--