By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

fatslob-:O said:

Then why are all three new consoles using off the shelf PC graphics cards then ? We all know that AMD doesn't have enough money to keep developing special GPU architectures LOL. Something tells me that you don't go to PC specific sites! I just go there to check out some news and reviews.

Your the one bringing out the jail card here LOL. I obviously acknowledged that the WII U can obtain better graphics. Why don't you go back a few pages and realize that. That "I game on PC" statement made you look mad suspect son LMAO. You still doin't get what I mean by that statement!

No I merely supported the that sentiment. Know the difference between "likely" and "concrete". I vouched for the former. 

There's no excuse for the WII U! The WII U became very close to a PC and a PC specifically depends on it's GPU to do the work for them in games just as the WII U is mostly dependent on it's GPU to do the same. The fact that it had to be specially optimized to take advantage of the newer architecture just goes to show you. A $100 dollar card at LAUNCH such as the hd 5670 is supposed to rape last gen consoles in terms of performance but apparently developers are having issues providing some clear advantage as shown in games like COD and batman. Especially in a game like call of duty! 

The one here scared is you. I can come to terms that the WII U may be weaker than the ps360 in some ways but as for you that's the different story. As for the rest, your copping out extremely hard LOL. Damage controlling about those ports LOLOL. You just showed your true intent here. The WII U shouldn't even have an issue if it was truly more powerful! Your damage controlling sounds something of that an apologist. The PS4 and X1 don't have issues outing their last gen counterparts so why should the WII U have any issues of doing it ? (You'll probably offer more damage controlling on this one.)

Oh dear you've shot yourself here, the original Xbox used off the shelf parts it's close to a PC right? The GPUs in all three consoles are custom, MS/Sony were supplied with a base GPU which they both did their own customizations to them hence why XB1 has bottlenecks, Wii U no one knows what it is, the new consoles use a GPGPU type architecture that makes development across platforms easier that's about the only main connection to PC it's so a game can be created on PC then easily ported down, the hardware how ever doesn't work in the same manner as PC it's still the same more efficient console design. You know what else used their GPUs more then their CPUs older consoles but are they close to PCs no.

Now that is funny saying I game on PC means I'm mad and suspect oh that's fantastic if you say so kiddo what ever you want to believe to make youself feel slick, a common tactic by someone whose feathers are ruffled is when they start tripping on their own posts like your earlier replies when you were bringing up Shi'en and CPUs when I made no mention to hardware or how much more powerful anything is, this is further highlight by your consistent "You can't accept blah blah...*Stamps Feet*" replies when truth is the U's power doesn't bother me because most of my gaming is on PC. People who are ruffled also use LOL consistently throughout in their posts thinking it gains them some when truth be told it starts to look like a kid typed the post.

You vouched for the former and went on tilt when I simply high lighted all the speculation is not exactly gospel given how the year has gone, you can harp on about the 5670 til the cows come home but fact is that's just another in a list of GPUs people have brought up in the speculation. You used launch games designed for far different architecture types as a central pillar for your argument, these games ran on versions of engines design for a diffrent mode of running the game, if you're as tech savvy as you're making out to be you should already know this. Anyone with any basic know how on console performance knows launch games never show the full story for one look up some of the 360 launch titles Enchant Arms and such, this is what's calling you out in your intents and your last paragraph highlights what I've been saying. Funny enough I can personally say I have confidence in the U as a next gen console because I personally played games like Bayonetta 2, MK8 and SM3DW at London Comic and Anime Cons when I tried out the next gens as well.

Around the Network

The Wii U is more powerful than the HD twins. It's not really what I'd call a generation above, but it can at least make last gen calibre games (graphical featured wise) run in 1080p when those ran in 720p.

At the very least, it's powerful enough to make Nintendo game look awesome in HD. And that's pretty much all I'm asking for.

Now, if only Nintendo would announce a new Metroid game...

Daisuke72 said:
snowdog said:
He was wrong. More than 3 times more cache for the GPU, 3 times more cache for the CPU, a DSP, an out-of-order execution CPU, a CPU with half the stages in its pipeline, a DX11-equivalent feature set and 4 times the RAM says he was wrong.

And if that isn't enough then Sonic Racing Transformed, Need For Speed Most Wanted, the gimping of Rayman Legends removing half of those black things from the swarm so that it would run on the PS3 and 360, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU all say he's wrong.

He always said the Wii U had the advantage in RAM, and overall efficiency. So? At the end of the day the Wii U is closer to current gen than it is next, and it's alot closer to current, which was his initial point, which you tried arguing and still are. 

He was wrong. It's as simple as that. Being somewhere between the 360 and PS4 in terms of power isn't 'on par' with the 360...unless you change the meaning of the words 'on par'. The Wii U is around 3-4 times more powerful than the 360, but that doesn't for a second mean that games will be 3-4 times better looking.

We've already seen the PS4 and One struggling to run games at a higher resolution than 720p and the difference between the 360 and the PS4 and One in terms of power is a great deal bigger.

Wyrdness said:
fatslob-:O said:

Then why are all three new consoles using off the shelf PC graphics cards then ? We all know that AMD doesn't have enough money to keep developing special GPU architectures LOL. Something tells me that you don't go to PC specific sites! I just go there to check out some news and reviews.

Your the one bringing out the jail card here LOL. I obviously acknowledged that the WII U can obtain better graphics. Why don't you go back a few pages and realize that. That "I game on PC" statement made you look mad suspect son LMAO. You still doin't get what I mean by that statement!

No I merely supported the that sentiment. Know the difference between "likely" and "concrete". I vouched for the former. 

There's no excuse for the WII U! The WII U became very close to a PC and a PC specifically depends on it's GPU to do the work for them in games just as the WII U is mostly dependent on it's GPU to do the same. The fact that it had to be specially optimized to take advantage of the newer architecture just goes to show you. A $100 dollar card at LAUNCH such as the hd 5670 is supposed to rape last gen consoles in terms of performance but apparently developers are having issues providing some clear advantage as shown in games like COD and batman. Especially in a game like call of duty! 

The one here scared is you. I can come to terms that the WII U may be weaker than the ps360 in some ways but as for you that's the different story. As for the rest, your copping out extremely hard LOL. Damage controlling about those ports LOLOL. You just showed your true intent here. The WII U shouldn't even have an issue if it was truly more powerful! Your damage controlling sounds something of that an apologist. The PS4 and X1 don't have issues outing their last gen counterparts so why should the WII U have any issues of doing it ? (You'll probably offer more damage controlling on this one.)

Oh dear you've shot yourself here, the original Xbox used off the shelf parts it's close to a PC right? The GPUs in all three consoles are custom, MS/Sony were supplied with a base GPU which they both did their own customizations to them hence why XB1 has bottlenecks, Wii U no one knows what it is, the new consoles use a GPGPU type architecture that makes development across platforms easier that's about the only main connection to PC it's so a game can be created on PC then easily ported down, the hardware how ever doesn't work in the same manner as PC it's still the same more efficient console design. You know what else used their GPUs more then their CPUs older consoles but are they close to PCs no.

Now that is funny saying I game on PC means I'm mad and suspect oh that's fantastic if you say so kiddo what ever you want to believe to make youself feel slick, a common tactic by someone whose feathers are ruffled is when they start tripping on their own posts like your earlier replies when you were bringing up Shi'en and CPUs when I made no mention to hardware or how much more powerful anything is, this is further highlight by your consistent "You can't accept blah blah...*Stamps Feet*" replies when truth is the U's power doesn't bother me because most of my gaming is on PC. People who are ruffled also use LOL consistently throughout in their posts thinking it gains them some when truth be told it starts to look like a kid typed the post.

You vouched for the former and went on tilt when I simply high lighted all the speculation is not exactly gospel given how the year has gone, you can harp on about the 5670 til the cows come home but fact is that's just another in a list of GPUs people have brought up in the speculation. You used launch games designed for far different architecture types as a central pillar for your argument, these games ran on versions of engines design for a diffrent mode of running the game, if you're as tech savvy as you're making out to be you should already know this. Anyone with any basic know how on console performance knows launch games never show the full story for one look up some of the 360 launch titles Enchant Arms and such, this is what's calling you out in your intents and your last paragraph highlights what I've been saying. Funny enough I can personally say I have confidence in the U as a next gen console because I personally played games like Bayonetta 2, MK8 and SM3DW at London Comic and Anime Cons when I tried out the next gens as well.

The original xbox had exclusive registers. That's something different to adding some eDRAM on a GPU. Your also forgetting other things in the newer consoles such as x86 architecture and I'm willing to bet that the developers also have a handle on the ibm broadway so there should be no noticeable increase in difficulty from the ibm espresso. BTW we probably do know what type of GPU architecture the wii u uses and it's probably VLIW 4/5. "Efficient console design" LMAO. I wonder what's so efficient about the WII U taking 1gb of ram for it's OS LOL. BTW the PS2 relied more on it's CPU/VUs to depend on transform and lighting as for the gamecube it's processor had more raw power than it's GPU but as for the xbox your only right on this part. 

Your last few lines make you really mad suspect. Bwahahaha.

More excuses about optimizations ? C'mon son, you yourself should know better than this. If the WII U truly had a more powerful GPU in almost every respect why is it getting flatened by some PS360 ports ? The WII U is indeed a next gen console but I think you further damaged control even more with those last few words. 

Hynad said:

The Wii U is more powerful than the HD twins. It's not really what I'd call a generation above, but it can at least make last gen calibre games (graphical featured wise) run in 1080p when those ran in 720p.

At the very least, it's powerful enough to make Nintendo game look awesome in HD. And that's pretty much all I'm asking for.

Now, if only Nintendo would announce a new Metroid game...

Agreed. 

Around the Network
snowdog said:
Daisuke72 said:
snowdog said:
He was wrong. More than 3 times more cache for the GPU, 3 times more cache for the CPU, a DSP, an out-of-order execution CPU, a CPU with half the stages in its pipeline, a DX11-equivalent feature set and 4 times the RAM says he was wrong.

And if that isn't enough then Sonic Racing Transformed, Need For Speed Most Wanted, the gimping of Rayman Legends removing half of those black things from the swarm so that it would run on the PS3 and 360, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, X, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU all say he's wrong.

He always said the Wii U had the advantage in RAM, and overall efficiency. So? At the end of the day the Wii U is closer to current gen than it is next, and it's alot closer to current, which was his initial point, which you tried arguing and still are. 

He was wrong. It's as simple as that. Being somewhere between the 360 and PS4 in terms of power isn't 'on par' with the 360...unless you change the meaning of the words 'on par'. The Wii U is around 3-4 times more powerful than the 360, but that doesn't for a second mean that games will be 3-4 times better looking.

We've already seen the PS4 and One struggling to run games at a higher resolution than 720p and the difference between the 360 and the PS4 and One in terms of power is a great deal bigger.

Four times as powerful? Not even close, but keep telling yourself that, I would go in-depth, but last time we had this discussion you pretty much speculated on everything. Hell, every reply started with something like.

"I think..."

"Nintendo has complex..."

But like I said, just putting it out there, Ninjablade was right. Ninjablade won. RIP my nigga Ninja. 

snowdog said:
If I remember correctly the space taken by the ALUs is 90% larger than it needs to be. It has nothing to do with allowing for poor yields.

Anyway, I'm off to bed!

(Not exactly.)

snowdog said:
Daisuke72 said:
snowdog said:

@Bold I agree that the WII U can achieve better graphics but as for being more powerful I'm sure pemalite can explain the situation with you.

but wii U is still closer to ps4/one than wii was from ps360, isnt?

jonathanalis said:
but wii U is still closer to ps4/one than wii was from ps360, isnt?

Yes it is. But really, only slightly.