By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's With Wii's Low Review Scores?

Renar said:

The problem isn't really the games, per se.  Not even the reviewers.  It's the system under which the reviewers operate.  That system emphasises the Wii's weaknesses and minimizes its strengths.

We all know the Wii's weaknesses versus the X360 and PS3.  The graphics are not HD and the audio isn't as pristine either.  Automatic points deducted.  And I bet, if somebody when thru and removed those two parts of the review from the total, especially for the top 10%, that the scores would even out.

But what are the Wii's strengths, and how much do they count in the ratings?  Fun is one of them, but very subjective.  One reviewer might get a kick out of it, and the next one doesn't get that same feeling.  Secondly is the Wiiremote.  Again,  being so different, some will like it, some not.  For some games, it will take some time to get used to the controls, time that the reviewer does not have.

Finally the price.  If you go the the extreme, and have a beautiful game, wonderful story, graphics and music superb.  Easily the best game that you have ever played and you know it.  The rankings would be 10s across the board, but at $10,000 a copy, it wouldn't sell many, would it?  X360 and PS3 games cost 20% (or more) than Wii games.  This is usually not taken into account with the recommendation on whether to buy the game or not.  If you did a ranking points/$ cost, the effectively $5 WiiPlay is probably the best value of any game, and that shows up in its sales.

Basically what I'm saying only in more words and a lot less sarcastic

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:
I don't think Wii has many games worthy of good scores, and apparently a lot of reviewers agree. The console just isn't made for the type of games many people like, namely more hardcore gamers, who are the people reviewing games.

so do you agree with gamespot giving TP an 8.8,or 1up giving trauma center new blood a 5.0?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

while the charts are designed to grab attention (i.e. make the difference look larger) the actual analysis is interesting enough. Reading through it the clear indication is that, the impact of poor games on most popular console notwithstanging, the average Wii review is lower than PS2 and current consoles.

Personally I agree with the view that many of the Wii's excellent, but very casual games, are reviewed very poorly vs big guns on 360 and PS3.

Looking through game reviews what I find interesting is that they are often, well, unprofessional and overly subjective.

To explain, let me take a few R&C reviews that seemed a lot lower than most and were clearly dragging the average down... now reading them its clear that the game was docked points because the reviewer was annoyed at lack of MP capability. Now that is not professional. The game is SP only and should be reviewed as such.

I can easily see that many casual Wii titles (that are good) score less than they should if reviewed professionaly (i.e. on their own merits and for what they achieve vs their intent) vs the number of reviews that casually drop points because the reviewer is comparing them to Halo 3 or Uncharted or some such game.

Still, I doubt Nintendo are too worried as its not stopping anyone buying the games...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think all of the reasons listed are valid and combine to make the total explanation.

1) Reviewers don't know what to do with Mario Party and Wii Sports, and more generally with lower graphical output

2) Less AAA third party developers have been on the system 

3) Lots of shovelware bringing the average down. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

brute said:
Edouble24 said:
I don't think Wii has many games worthy of good scores, and apparently a lot of reviewers agree. The console just isn't made for the type of games many people like, namely more hardcore gamers, who are the people reviewing games.

so do you agree with gamespot giving TP an 8.8,or 1up giving trauma center new blood a 5.0?

The 1UP Trauma Center score......  

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:

This statement is pretty much the entire argument the original post made. Reviews aren't just for hardcore gamers, unless games criticism is intending to be a niche. It is quite apparent that a huge mass of people don't agree with what you happen to like, and are buying the Mario Parties and Wii Sports and Wii Fits and not 360 or PS3 games. These people are clearly the fastest growing demographic in gaming, and their wants and desires are effectively being ignored by games criticism. 

A review of Rambo by people who love violent, testosterone driven movies: A+++! Brokeback Mountain: F-----! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I think all of the reasons listed are valid and combine to make the total explanation.

1) Reviewers don't know what to do with Mario Party and Wii Sports, and more generally with lower graphical output

2) Less AAA third party developers have been on the system 

3) Lots of shovelware bringing the average down. 

Wii Sports really is an amazing example of game critics not knowing what to do with the new Wii games. This title is absolutely a driving force behind the success of the Wii and it got mediocre at best reviews. The long lost slam against the Wii was "Once people get bored of Wii Sports then what will they do?" despite the fact that there were higher rated games readily available for purchase (Twilight Princess). The market has been slowly changing for a while now and Nintendo tried to jump ahead of the curve and succeded. Game reviewrs are going to either adapt or fall into obscurity.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I blame Ninjabreadman.

brute said:
Edouble24 said:

I've never played Trauma Center but I rarely agree with 1up as they seem to think hating Wii is the coolest thing on the planet. I really used to like them but their attitude has gotten on my nerves.

I agree with Gamespots TP score, not the exact same score I gave it but close enough, and I thought the review was well written.  

I hear all this talk about third-party developers shifting over and supporting the Wii this gen but I've still yet to see this happening.

Mostly all the Big name third party games are still going to either the PS3 or Xbox, or both. If this change has happened, what games will I see from the Wii in the future?

Friend Code : 2878 - 9590 - 0767