By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's With Wii's Low Review Scores?

The graph images are very misleading. The scale of those graphs makes the difference look huge when in reality it is very small. The top games on all systems are separated by a mere 2-3% points when the graph makes it look like 10-20% points. I would like to see those same graphs done on a 100% scale and then lets see how different it looks to everyone. Someone put that together and throw it up real quick if you can.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network

the problem is alot of them just got rushed and ported so they can make some quick cash i think it should change in a bit

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I've posted this stat before, as a gamerankings.com fan myself. 

xbox 360 games that average 80% or higher: 87 (92 if you round up the 79.5+ scores)
............................................. 85% or higher: 36 (38 if you round up the 84.5+ scores)

ps3 games that average 80% or higher: 40 (41 if you round up nhl 2k7)
.................................... 85% or higher: 16

wii games that average 80% or higher: 18
................................... 85% or higher: 9

take from those number what you will.
(note: some games for each system only have 1 or 2 reviews currently posted. Some scores subject to change).

tastyshovelware said:
I've posted this stat before, as a gamerankings.com fan myself.

xbox 360 games that average 80% or higher: 87 (92 if you round up the 79.5+ scores)
............................................. 85% or higher: 36 (38 if you round up the 84.5+ scores)

ps3 games that average 80% or higher: 40 (41 if you round up nhl 2k7)
.................................... 85% or higher: 16

wii games that average 80% or higher: 18
................................... 85% or higher: 9

take from those number what you will.
(note: some games for each system only have 1 or 2 reviews currently posted. Some scores subject to change).

That includes XBLA titles, while not including Virtual Console titles... but either way, I think that shows the disconnect between reviewers and gamers very clearly.  If you asked a bunch of gamers which was better: Wii Sports or Virtua Tennis 3, what do you think they would say? 

Personally, I realized that reviews were meaningless when I played Final Fantasy XII... a game that averaged a 9.2, but I wouldn't rate above a 7.  A game that's by and large hated by the FF fanbase.  

because reviewers like GS give incredible games like TP, and MP3 like a 8.5... When if they were on the 360 would be for sure over 9.0-

There is a major disconnect between reviewers and the Wii. M&S is a great example. Incredibly fun game, mediocre reviews.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

^alot of sites give them low scores if it doesnt bring anything really knew which i think sucks if its fun give it a good score

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I don't think Wii has many games worthy of good scores, and apparently a lot of reviewers agree. The console just isn't made for the type of games many people like, namely more hardcore gamers, who are the people reviewing games.

Maybe they simply can't stand the fact that a console with less power than PS3 and 360, basically called a PS2, consider its graphics and power of sales, sells better and does better with the gamers, they simply give lower scores to games.

I'm still pissed at Gamespot for giving such a low score at Excite Truck for instance. That game is 10 times more fun than Motorstorm which "I" couldn't get the hang of it. Mind you, keep IGN out of this, IMO they seem to score WII games pretty good, but Gamespot really seem to have a pick on everything which doesn't include the 360.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

The problem isn't really the games, per se.  Not even the reviewers.  It's the system under which the reviewers operate.  That system emphasises the Wii's weaknesses and minimizes its strengths.

We all know the Wii's weaknesses versus the X360 and PS3.  The graphics are not HD and the audio isn't as pristine either.  Automatic points deducted.  And I bet, if somebody when thru and removed those two parts of the review from the total, especially for the top 10%, that the scores would even out.

But what are the Wii's strengths, and how much do they count in the ratings?  Fun is one of them, but very subjective.  One reviewer might get a kick out of it, and the next one doesn't get that same feeling.  Secondly is the Wiiremote.  Again,  being so different, some will like it, some not.  For some games, it will take some time to get used to the controls, time that the reviewer does not have.

Finally the price.  If you go the the extreme, and have a beautiful game, wonderful story, graphics and music superb.  Easily the best game that you have ever played and you know it.  The rankings would be 10s across the board, but at $10,000 a copy, it wouldn't sell many, would it?  X360 and PS3 games cost 20% (or more) than Wii games.  This is usually not taken into account with the recommendation on whether to buy the game or not.  If you did a ranking points/$ cost, the effectively $5 WiiPlay is probably the best value of any game, and that shows up in its sales.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Most games on the most popular system (check the PS2, it'll have similar traits) are utter tosh and not worth anyone's time, so they drag down the average.
All platforms have bad games, but the most popular has the most bad games since it has the most games in total, so the statistics stand out a bit more.
Nothing fancy to it, really.
While there are probably almost as many 360 games as Wii games, it could be argued that most 3rd party Wii games have been... lacking.
When there was just the 360 in the market, dev's had to concerntrate a bit, bad games wouldn't drown in the flow of other games, they'd rather get attention, attention of the bad kind.
This is always the same when a console becomes a hit, the sheer number of so called shovelware is almost to huge to fathom.