By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Timed Monopoly: Why it's Too Soon for the Next Xbox

ferret1603 said:
Am I the only one thinking that another MS console within the next two years would still be this generation?

Its competition would be the Wii and PS3 not the Wii 2 and PS4. If MS do release a console so soon then the Wii 2 and PS4 will only be launching at the time MS release their fourth console. They've only been out a year and Sony and Nintendo aren't going to release new consoles when they've only been out 2-3 years.

It'd look like this:

Wii/PS3/XBox 360/XBox 720
Wii 2/PS4/XBox 1080

Attempting to cut this generation short would fail. Sony and Nintendo would have no need to rush out another console when the Wii's on fire and the PS3 is still pretty cutting edge. All Microsoft would be doing is resetting their current gen hardware sales to zero and many 360 customers would opt for a cheap PS3 or Wii instead of the next xbox due to the RRoD and feeling like MS had screwed them over.

Microsoft will most likely not release a new console until 2010 or 11.  If they release in 2010, they will be a year before Sony.  If it is 2011, they will probably be releasing at the same time.  If you look above where I posted the release dates for each console in past generations, it has been the same across the board, from Nintendo to Sony to Sega (while they were still making consoles) and now Microsoft also.  The 360 was 4 years after the Xbox but since the 360 has been more successful out of the gate than the Xbox was, they'll stick with it for the full 5 years.

Whatever Microsoft releases next, it will be a console more powerful than the PS3 by far and then Sony will come with something comparable and we'll start our debates over again.  Nintendo, keeping in line with their strategy, will make something that is about as powerful as the 360 or PS3 so they'll have moved up into the HD market also.  The console will be cheaper than the other two but I don't think you'll see $500 consoles again until inflation makes it so or some company forgets what happened this generation and thinks they can get away with it. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

yeah, i think 2010 for the next XB. hopefully they'll be able to reduce the console failure rate down to 1/4 :)

Its funny how even after a first profitable year in the console industry some of you still think Microsoft needs to start panicking and run around their office screaming with their hands in the air. New consoles will come but as long as Xbox 360 is selling games, there won't be need to launch the next one. Some of you may not realize the ass whooping 360 does with console sales and software every week in North America...without a price drop...and without waiting for a magical "exclusive".

And jankazimierz, I apologize. I jumped the gun with my remarks before as I thought you just wanted to put down the 360 without even owning one.

I can't believe the silly article above started a debate...lol

disolitude said:
Its funny how even after a first profitable year in the console industry some of you still think Microsoft needs to start panicking and run around their office screaming with their hands in the air. New consoles will come but as long as Xbox 360 is selling games, there won't be need to launch the next one. Some of you may not realize the ass whooping 360 does with console sales and software every week in North America...without a price drop...and without waiting for a magical "exclusive".

And jankazimierz, I apologize. I jumped the gun with my remarks before as I thought you just wanted to put down the 360 without even owning one.

I can't believe the silly article above started a debate...lol

Here's the thing, though: MS isn't the type of company to sit happily in second place, even if they are making money.

They're going to shoot for the #1 spot no matter what. That spot currently belongs to Nintendo and that fact won't be changing this gen without some kind of freak miracle. Nintendo has word of mouth and positive press on their side. Iwata would basically have to come out on stage and eat a baby to tarnish Nintendo's image right now.

And as the Wii continues to sell like hotcakes, even the most curmudgeon 3rd parties will start developing for it because there's no amount of FUD the MS executives can barf up which will erase a 10 million+ gap in install base in favor of the Wii.

This article is partially right for completely wrong reasons: MS WILL likely release another console very early, but I expect it will be a console equipped with a control scheme which looks startlingly like a Wii remote + nunchuk.

MS will gun for 1st, and since 1st isn't the typical "graphical beast with standard controller" anymore, it means they'll probably be changing their aim. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

elnino334 said:
Microsoft had reasons to kill the original Xbox when they did. After Halo 2 and the largest media hype storm of any video game in history, the Xbox had more or less peaked. There was nothing left to say or do that could meet that level of commercial insanity.

Sorry to cut so much out, but this paragraph intrigues me.

With the way he put this, it makes me wonder...is Halo 3 the peak of 360 and it will be downhill from here?

Games like Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect are already out, so except for sequels, what else is there?

Lost Odyssey will keep interest, and GTA4...of course. Rainbow Six Vegas 2. So theres some solid games, but what exclusives?

Around the Network

That article gives absolutely no logical reason why Microsoft would choose to bring out another console when their current one is finally turning a profit. Not only that but he seems to be basing everything off a rumor from Quartermann's rumor section in EGM. You know the same rumor section that said Perfect Dark was coming for PS2 (2002), Grand Theft Auto Online was coming (2002)., and Bioshock was still coming for the PS3 (2007).

As far as "future proofing" goes I guess he chooses to ignore the fact that the PS1 and PS2 weren't the most powerful in their generation yet somehow it matters now for the PS3.  The thing I hate about many fanboys is how willing some of them are to throw out logic if it gets in the way of their views. 

Anyways they got what they wanted though, more hits for their lame website.

i would buy a new xbox next year just to keep my live subscription viable lol

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth

Legend11 said:
That article gives absolutely no logical reason why Microsoft would choose to bring out another console when their current one is finally turning a profit. Not only that but he seems to be basing everything off a rumor from Quartermann's rumor section in EGM. You know the same rumor section that said Perfect Dark was coming for PS2 (2002), Grand Theft Auto Online was coming (2002)., and Bioshock was still coming for the PS3 (2007).

As far as "future proofing" goes I guess he chooses to ignore the fact that the PS1 and PS2 weren't the most powerful in their generation yet somehow it matters now for the PS3.  The thing I hate about many fanboys is how willing some of them are to throw out logic if it gets in the way of their views

Anyways they got what they wanted though, more hits for their lame website.

That's pretty much the thing that differentiates fans and fanboys. He does give logical reason, which is timed monopoly, which would make sense, since it gives nice advantage in the market. Just like 360 virtually gained from it's year headstart or Megadrive from its 2 years. But the thing where the logic failed, was that M$ would kill 360 fast, since they definately manage to make profit with it, so they don't need to kill 360 because of its costs, and having 100% BC in 720 will make every game developed for 360 help 720:s sales.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

The thing about "100% BC", though, is that hardware BC will be much harder for MS and Sony in the next gen because this gen's hardware costs are much higher than last gen's were. Even after price reductions and improvements this will remain true.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
The thing about "100% BC", though, is that hardware BC will be much harder for MS and Sony in the next gen because this gen's hardware costs are much higher than last gen's were. Even after price reductions and improvements this will remain true.

I was thinking more like emulating, which could offer virtually 100% BC. Biggest problem would be fitting the code written for multiple processors to a single processor, since i believe next generation is going to cheaper hardware.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.