By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Does 2014 Look For JRPGs?

Bristow9091 said:
I'll be buying the majority of those games, lol... anyone thinking/hoping we might see a new Persona next year?

Mostly likely.  It looks like Atlus will be announcing a new Persona game on Nov 24.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/09/26/atlus-opens-persona-countdown-site/

Around the Network

flying fairy looks good

After PS3, JRPGs on home consoles will be pretty much dead outside of Square Enix.

weaveworld said:
Not good enough for me to buy a new console and nothing that would really get me back into Jrpg's.
I'll probably be playing both FF's, the HD one because I used to love that game, LR because i hate to leave the series unfinished.
These are almost all action oriented rpg's?

Get Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii named the best JRPG in the last decade. Then you will know why you should be hyped about X from Monolith Soft. 

I am not joking, you won't be dissapointed at all. Get a Wii U that is backwards compatible with Wii games to play Xenoblade. Go ahead, you will wonder how is that you haven't played that game yet...

Definitly getting Celceta (wich im gonna import so its gonna be this year) and Tales of Xillia 2.

I'm still on the fence with bravely default... i grew bored of FF the 4 heroes of light even though i liked it. I'm a bit fearful that it will be too grindy. Anyways with zelda out, im gonna be leaving bravely for later.

Aside from this i can only hope PSO2 finally comes out or God eater 2 makes the trip over the oceans. Toukiden seems interesting aswell but i wont delve into it before i beat Soul sacrifice.
I love Nier, but im unsure if i will get Drakengard aswell... probably only at a discounted price.

Around the Network

I've found these games: RE:Revelations 3DS(14euros) and Valkyria Chronicles ps3(10 euros).Both used.So which one should I pick up?I'm leaning more torwards RE cause I recently bought a 3ds xl and I actually have no game for it and I want to use it.What do you think.

KH 2.5 and Final Fantasy 13-3 is what keeping me from upgrading to ps4 by selling my ps3.

AaronSOLDIER said:
After PS3, JRPGs on home consoles will be pretty much dead outside of Square Enix.

That's not necessarily true.  JRPGs in general don't show up on new consoles until a year or two in.  Look at all these JRPGs that are just now coming out for the PS3 this year and next year.  Because JRPGs have become such a niche genre (with a few exceptions), it doesn't make business sense for studios to release new JRPGs early on in the console's life cycle when the userbase is so small.  

Also, there are a lot of JRPG studios out there and they're still working on / finishing up games for current-gen.  Obviously, they're going to move on to next-gen in a year or two.  It's not like they're all going to just shut down business after the PS3 era is over.   We already know that Monolift Soft and Level-5 are both working on new console JRPGs for the WIiU and PS4.  I'm sure Atlus and Namco Bandai have a couple of next-gen JRPGs already in the works.  Remember, next-gen consoles aren't even coming out in Japan until next spring.  So I think it's premature to just assume that JRPGs are going to cease to exist next-gen.  

Persona 5 is rumored for 2014.

melbye said:
Really hope X makes a 2014 release in the west.

We're not even certain it'll make it in Japan for 2014.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.