By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Does 2014 Look For JRPGs?

AaronSOLDIER said:
Soriku said:
AaronSOLDIER said:
After PS3, JRPGs on home consoles will be pretty much dead outside of Square Enix.

There's no reason why the devs making PS3 RPGs now won't move on to PS4 eventually.

Most will move onto 3DS and Vita (GUST, now Tecmo owned, is pretty much porting all their PS3 stuff to Vita and probably continue those franchises on there), Persona 5 will likely be a Vita game too since they've remade them all for PSP/Vita. I'll be very surprised if we even get half the JRPGs on PS4 than we did on PS3, not to mention Sonys shift in focus at more westernized games. Pretty much only Nintendo that can be bothered supporting JRPGs at this point, and most probably for 3DS.

I don't agree with you, but time will tell.  If Persona 5 is coming to a portable system, it's more likey to be on the 3DS than the Vita and its miniscule userbase.  A port later on to the Vita like P4G would be a more likely scenario IMO.  

Also, with the PS4's architechture much easier to develop for than the CELL, I don't see why JRPG devs will all of a sudden just abandon consoles all together.  They could easily release games on both console and portable, like Dragon's Crown.   Finally, I'm also a predicting an increase in Indie JRPGs making their way to the PS4 as PSN downloads.

Around the Network

Also missing Wonderflick and Child of LIght.

jacks81x said:
AaronSOLDIER said:
Soriku said:
AaronSOLDIER said:
After PS3, JRPGs on home consoles will be pretty much dead outside of Square Enix.

There's no reason why the devs making PS3 RPGs now won't move on to PS4 eventually.

Most will move onto 3DS and Vita (GUST, now Tecmo owned, is pretty much porting all their PS3 stuff to Vita and probably continue those franchises on there), Persona 5 will likely be a Vita game too since they've remade them all for PSP/Vita. I'll be very surprised if we even get half the JRPGs on PS4 than we did on PS3, not to mention Sonys shift in focus at more westernized games. Pretty much only Nintendo that can be bothered supporting JRPGs at this point, and most probably for 3DS.

Also, with the PS4's architechture much easier to develop for than the CELL, I don't see why JRPG devs will all of a sudden just abandon consoles all together.  They could easily release games on both console and portable, like Dragon's Crown.   Finally, I'm also a predicting an increase in Indie JRPGs making their way to the PS4 as PSN downloads.

PS4 has been pushed back to 2014 in Japan due to lack of Japanese developer support (poor launch lineup, not just JRPG devs) and even when it releases the only major 3rd party title seems to be Yakuza Ishin.