By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Before the Wii U launched, how successful did you think it´d be a year later?

TruckOSaurus said:
oniyide said:
aikohualda said:

here's the drawback for SSB.... it has a 3DS version....

it would drastically hurt the sale of the game and the system esp in the non existing market in japan....

i just hope wii u will survive, i myself thinking to ditch wii u and go for the ps4

this i can only speak for myself, but if the 3ds version is close to the WIi U one that will give me alot less incentive to buy a Wii U. Hell im sure im not the only one that feels that way

It depends what you mean by close. If you're talking graphically they won't be close at all but on other fronts Sakurai said both versions will have the same characters, some stages will be exclusive to one version or the other but overall gameplay wise both games will be very close.

well then thats that then, I really dont care about graphics in a Smash game so yeah

Around the Network
aikohualda said:

it would drastically hurt the sale of the game and the system esp in the non existing market in japan....

i just hope wii u will survive, i myself thinking to ditch wii u and go for the ps4

Have fun with that.

The only reason the 3DS version might (MIGHT) initially have better sales, is because the system itself has a much larger user base.

Having said that, the Wii U version is the main version of the game, it will have the most content, the best graphics, etc. The 3DS version has always been an utter waste, and it is a bad idea. It won't be "close" to the Wii U version, unless by "close" someone means a watered down, Gamecube-esque experience. Smash Bros. has always been a home console, big TV kind of experience for a reason, and it should have exclusively remained that way.

Regardless of all that crap, the new Smash will sell well on Wii U, and undoubtedly, along with Mario Kart 8, help improve the console's fortunes in 2014.

DevilRising said:
aikohualda said:

Have fun with that.

The only reason the 3DS version might (MIGHT) initially have better sales, is because the system itself has a much larger user base.

Having said that, the Wii U version is the main version of the game, it will have the most content, the best graphics, etc. The 3DS version has always been an utter waste, and it is a bad idea. It won't be "close" to the Wii U version, unless by "close" someone means a watered down, Gamecube-esque experience. Smash Bros. has always been a home console, big TV kind of experience for a reason, and it should have exclusively remained that way.

Regardless of all that crap, the new Smash will sell well on Wii U, and undoubtedly, along with Mario Kart 8, help improve the console's fortunes in 2014.

its just like Mario Kart, GBA/DS had much larger install bases than GC/Wii but the home console versions still sold much better and I think Smash Bros will be the same. Smash Bros and Mario Kart are best when sitting down and playing with a group of friends/family members and I think thats why they will remain to be bigger on consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

aikohualda said:
DevilRising said:
aikohualda said:
i thought it wouldve sell like 10 million in first year :( my forecast is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off....

i am not sure if mk8 or ssb can save wii u.. i mean gc also had those games and look at the result

To be perfectly fair, Double Dash was a serious mis-step for the Mario Kart franchise. Like Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker, it has it's ardent fans, but on the whole DD is considered to be a lesser entry. MK8 is the first MK in quite some time to truly look fresh and like they're really putting forth a huge effort into it, and I think it will have a hell of a lot more buzz surrounding it near release than DD did, DD being a game that justifiably got a "what the hell is that?" reaction from many people.I also think that since Mario Kart DS and Wii, the MK franchise has become a lot more popular in the mainstream than it was before DD released.

As for Smash Bros., people were excited for Melee, and it was a great game that didn't (at the time) disappoint, but again, it was a sequel to an N64 title that was more of a sleeper hit, a curiosity than anything. Brawl really took the popularity and anticipation of the series to new heights, and I think the franchise is much more "visible" now than it was before Melee's release. Meaning there are a lot more people likely to buy a Wii U just to play the new Smash next year, than there were who bought a GC just for Melee.

So yes, I do think those two games will impact sales in a very positive way. But let's not forget X, and Bayonetta, SMT x Fire Emblem, and most importantly, "Zelda U", which is bound to be that kind of "centerpiece" title that really shows off the system's muscle, and wows people, just as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess once did. It's not really a matter of one or two games "Saving" the console. It's a matter of building up a libarary of quality game after quality game, adding up more reasons for someone to want to buy the system in the first place.

You would be making a very reasonable and logical decision, seriously. 

A lot more then it is. It can turn around any time

Around the Network

They should bring back the good Wii commercials.

DevilRising said:
aikohualda said:

Have fun with that.

LOL why you mad though? I like that their is a 3ds version. Smash on the go? Yes please. and you kind of lost credibility with the bolded, you havent EVEN seen the 3ds version and talking crap hell you havent even seen the WIi U version.

Before launch I thought it was going to do well even though some/many were disappointed in the power and Nintendo had not been real clear re the game pad (to the general public)

I did not think it would do as well as the Wii but did think it would be successful for Nintendo and those who purchased it

After aprox 60 days after launch it was getting more obvious by the day the Wii U would struggle ALOT until or unless Nintendo took the console seriously and acted like it was actually THEIR console. To tis day they have not made it clear whatsoever who they are targeting the console for purchases- that is 1 of several major issues most I have posted about previously that are holding the Wii U back-

When it was evident the Wii U would struggle (after about 60 days from launch) , Nintendo has not done or said anything to make me think the situation would change - yes they have some big games coming up this holiday, this coming Spring and later in 2014- yes these games will increase sales of the Wii-u but these games will not be enough to keep the Wii U from becoming 1 of Nintendo s worst performing consoles historically

Nintendo will have to make major commitments in resources and effort to give the Wii U a chance- so far they have not indicated they are willing to do so

oniyide said:

LOL why you mad though? I like that their is a 3ds version. Smash on the go? Yes please. and you kind of lost credibility with the bolded, you havent EVEN seen the 3ds version and talking crap hell you havent even seen the WIi U version.

If you're going to try and waste time putting someone else down on an internet forum, you might at least want to learn some better grammar before doing so.

How can I have "lost credibility", when we're all just sitting here discussing our personal opinions on a given gaming topic? Not a single person on these forums is any kind of "gaming expert", we're just gamers with opinions, so your comments come off looking rather pointless.

And I hate to break it to you, but yes............I have actually seen Smash on Wii U. They have shown video footage, and it looks fantastic. And while I have no problem with "Smash on the Go", I do and always have had a problem with the pointless existence of a portable version of THIS Smash Bros. game. If they wanted to make a 3DS Smash down the line, fine, have at it. But THIS game should be Wii U only, just as the series has been home console only this entire time. If the 3DS port didn't exist, you wouldn't even be saying this, and you'd absolutely be planning to buy a Wii U to play the new Smash Bros. game.

As it is, the 3DS version is going to be, as I have said, a cheap port version of the game, I've seen pics, the graphics barely even hold up vs. Brawl on Wii. Seeing the game on Wii U, it's not even close. And Sakurai cryptically mentioning the possibility of having to hold content back from the Wii U version, because it needs to be "on par" with the 3DS version, is absolutely absurd. If anything, the Wii U version, the MAIN version of the game, the version with access to a 25gb BluRay style disc, should get all the extra content it possibly can. And if the unnecessary 3DS version has to miss out on certain characters/features/etc., so be it.

So thanks for playing, but no. You can like that there's a 3DS version of the game so that you don't have to spend money on a new console (even though you very well might do so for Mario Kart 8, or Zelda, or any other number of games anyway), but that doesn't make my sentiment that the 3DS version does not need to exist incorrect. And even if you do choose to get the 3DS version instead, yeah, as a Smash fan, I just can't see how you won't be NOT getting the lesser version, and not the full-on, authentic experience. Have a nice day.

soclone said:
A lot more then it is. It can turn around any time

If it can turn around anytime then maybe someone should tell nintendo the time is pass due