By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Before the Wii U launched, how successful did you think it´d be a year later?

fps_d0minat0r said:
the time they launched at was suicidal. no chance against ps360 and I knew they would have no chance against the ps4 and x720 (as it was known then) when they came out.
still expected it to do slightly better than it actually did.

just out of curiosity when should they HAVE released? Doesnt leave them a big window.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
cbarroso09 said:
I did not want to believe the system was gonna do the same as 360 and ps3 the first 2 years. Now it seems like that would be the case.

PS3 and 360 did miles better than WiiU on their first year.

OT: I thought it'd outsell N64 at least, but it seems that ain't happening now.

Not everything is about exact numbers, sometimes it is about trends. Don;t you think so?

well things looked good for Wii U before launch.

Some launch exclusives, EA's unprecedented support so people were expecting it would do 8-10million.

Then EA dropped of the planet and Nintendo was stuck with no games to push out and things stalled to a crawl..

Similar thing happened with the 3DS lanch where they hoped 3rd parties would release games and nothing happened, so they had to play catchup.

but now I don't think it can even reach that.

cbarroso09 said:

Not everything is about exact numbers, sometimes it is about trends. Don;t you think so?

In that case the WiiU is doing even worse, because it had a strong start and now is trending way below those console's lowest points. The PS3 and 360 trended up with time.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

I don't see how anyone could have expected it to ride off the success of the wii when the wiiU is the polar opposite of the wii.
 I made a thread when the wiiU had just launch highlighting all the problems it will face but nobody listened to me, I was foolish everyone said for me not believing in the gamepad.... ah here it is

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150379&page=1

I think in that thread I had a worst case scenario of it attaining gamecube level sales.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

I expected PS3/360 first year, maybe a bit better. That said, I did not expect the games promised for the launch window to arrive so late and I didn't expect it selling so low that's for sure. It can turn it around but it's still performing very bad. MK8 can't come soon enough.

Thing is if the Gamepad was a risky idea from the start, I can't help but think it's even worse that Nintendo don't understand its strengths. It really is an opposite direction to the motion play, yet from the games being released it looks like they don't get that concept. 

At least 9m. Now that looks like LTD numbers.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I never thought the Wii U would be successful so a year later none of this is surprising. I may have been generous calling this the next Gamecube though.

I thought it would be much more successful than it's been. I think few unbiased people would have honestly predicted it doing quite this bad.

I don't know if I ever thought of true lifetime numbers, but I did figure loyal Nintendo fans would have had it zoom past 5 million for sure by now, with 10 million by the end of 2013 a certainty. That's not the case.

I expected more interest in the 3rd party games, more high-end 1st party games and much better marketing. This fall will be huge for the system, with Mario 3D, Wii -Sports Club, -Fit and -Party and same-day launches of the major 3rd party titles, as well as the price cut and better bundles. And it really needs a solid marketing push.